Non-cloud (local) thermostat heating system for in-floor radiant heating

Hi there. I’m looking for a local-only floor thermostat system that is designed for (or comes with) a radiant in-floor heating system.

I see a z-wave option called heatit, but unfortunately it’s euro only. (I’m in the US).

It looks like the only option for me right now is NuHeat. Someone built an excellent integration on here, but my issue is it’s a cloud web service… a quick little security audit revealed it’s running on some Microsoft IIS ASP.net version from 2011, which is not confidence inspiring. (last thing I need is someone pwning their service and, well, you can imagine the implications for their customers)…

I can’t seem to find anything that would work locally and includes a floor sensor specifically for radiant floor heat. I’m planning a renovation in the next month or so.

Nest, while a cloud service, is a little better on the security side of things, but their solution does not include a floor sensor which my electrician says is required.

If anyone knows of a wifi floor thermostat which even has a local API, I’m happy to do the work for an integration.

Any pointers would be met with extreme gratitude. Thanks!

Did you ever find anything?

Unfortunately, no. Nothing. I wanted to get this bathroom renovation done, so I went with NuHeat which is unfortunately 100% cloud IoT. It works very well, but at some point I have to assume it will stop working when they abandon support / company gets bought / etc etc… fortunately floor thermostats are simply just a relay, so it can be replaced.

If a local device came on the market with its features, I would drop it in a heartbeat…

It’s been a couple years since this thread was active but I find myself in the exact same situation as was originally outlined. I’m curious if the state of options has evolved at all or if NuHeat is still the only real option for US-based installs?

There’s an offering from Mysa and another from SunTouch, but they’re all cloud-based.

There’s also a series of Zigbee-based electric heat thermostats named Mestro, but I can’t seem to find one with a floor sensor. If I can find one, I think that’s what I’m leaning toward. There’s also an effort to have Tasmota to work on Mysa, but so far it only works with the electric, not electric floor version of their thermostat and requires some precise soldering skills.

The new Schluter Ditra Thermostate supports HomeKit and can be operated without active cloud connection. I haven’t tried if you can hijack the HomeKit interface - but technically that should work fully locally.

@dts did you try ditra via homekit by any chance?

I started this thread 5 years ago and now want to add some more radiant heat to some other rooms… unfortunately the story seems to be the same. There are several generic z-wave/zigbee floor thermostats for the euro market but not here.

I do see NuHeat promotes developer use of their API now with an OpenAPI spec which is promising, and it looks like it’s no longer running on ancient versions of windows according to the http response headers. but still windows and still cloud. I will say NuHeat’s API has at least been rock solid for the last 5 years… it never has broken on me.

I have not tried the new Ditra HomeKit Thermostat. You can order one from Amazon and test it out.