Noob here trouble setting up first devices

Hello!

I’m new to Hassio and home automation in general. I am trying to setup a Yeelight smart bulb and a Supernight LED strip. I can’t manage to get the LED strip to show up in the Hassio UI, but it is showing up in my Google home app. Here’s an album showing the difference between the two apps on my phone. I am using the TuyaSmart app to get the Google Home to find the LEDs but I can’t manage to get it to also show up in my Hassio frontend… The media player is a Google Home device. Here is my config file:

homeassistant:
  name: Home
  latitude: !secret latitude
  longitude: !secret longitude
  elevation: 19
  unit_system: imperial
  time_zone: !secret time_zone
  # Customization file
  customize: !include customize.yaml

# Show links to resources in log and frontend
introduction:

# Enables the frontend
frontend:
  themes: !include themes.yaml

# Enables configuration UI
config:

# Uncomment this if you are using SSL/TLS, running in Docker container, etc.
http:
  base_url: !secret duckdns
  ssl_certificate: /ssl/fullchain.pem
  ssl_key: /ssl/privkey.pem
  api_password: !secret http_password

# Checks for available updates
# Note: This component will send some information about your system to
# the developers to assist with development of Home Assistant.
# For more information, please see:
# https://home-assistant.io/blog/2016/10/25/explaining-the-updater/
updater:
  # Optional, allows Home Assistant developers to focus on popular components.
  # include_used_components: true

# Discover some devices automatically
discovery:

# Allows you to issue voice commands from the frontend in enabled browsers
conversation:

# Enables support for tracking state changes over time
history:

# View all events in a logbook
logbook:

# Enables a map showing the location of tracked devices
map:

# Track the sun
sun:

# Sensors
sensor:
  # Weather prediction
  - platform: yr

# Text to speech
tts:
  - platform: google

# Cloud
cloud:
  google_actions:
    filter:
      include_entities:
        - light.bed_LED

group: !include groups.yaml
automation: !include automations.yaml
script: !include scripts.yaml

google_assistant:
  project_id: !secret google_assistant_id
  allow_unlock: false
  exposed_domains:
    - light

entity_config:
    media_player.bedroom:
      name: media_player.bedroom_google_home
      expose: true
      aliases:
        - Bedroom_Google_Home
      room: bedroom

light.bed_LED:
      name: light.bed_LED
      expose: true
      aliases:
        - Bed LEDs
      room: bedroom

tuya:
  username: !secret tuya_username
  password: !secret tuya_password
  country_code: 1
  platform: tuya

light:
  - platform: yeelight
    devices:
      !secret bedroom_bulb_ip:
        name: Bedroom Light Bulb
        transition: 10
        use_music_mode: True
        save_on_change: True

panel_iframe:
  pihole:
    title: Pi-hole
    icon: mdi:block-helper
    url: !secret hassio_url

happybubbles:
    title: Happy Bubbles
    icon: mdi:bluetooth
    url: !secret hassio_url 

sensor:
  - platform: pi_hole
    monitored_conditions:
      - ads_blocked_today
      - dns_queries_today
      - unique_clients

Looking on my computer’s UI the problem is coming from my TUYA config.… Also, there seems to be a duplication issue with my light bulb, I’m not really sure what that is about

There’s some cleaning up/separating I need to do, but I wanted to get this down so I can play with my new lights :slight_smile:

Here are the links to the lights above:

1. Yeelight smart bulb
  2. Supernight LED strip

Welcome to the Home Assistant community!

Unless I’m mistaken, it appears you believe Home Assistant will automatically detect the presence of the Yeelight and Supernight LED strip. While it is capable of detecting several kinds of devices, I don’t believe it can do that for these two.

There is a Yeelight component that you must add and configure in configuration.yaml to help Home Assistant communicate and control your Yeelight bulb.

I’m afraid that’s all the assistance I can provide because I don’t have a Yeelight bulb and I’m not familiar with the Supernight LED strip. Hopefully someone else will step in and assist you with the LED strip.

Good luck!

Thanks for responding!

Yeah the light bulb was pretty easy to setup with the Yeelight platform. I am having trouble with the LED’s on the Tuya component and I am not sure why

What is the error you’re getting? Have you looked in the logs to see what it says there?

This?

No. The home_assistant.log file that’s in your config directory.

If you don’t know how to get to the file directly, you can see the “recent” entries by going to the sidebar (click the three horizontal lines in the upper left), then at the bottom of the sidebar, click the “i” with the circle in it. the bottom part of the page show the recent log entries.

The easiest thing to do is restart home assistant, then immediately go there and see if there are any errors pertaining to the TUYA config.

Oh ok! Here is what I am getting:

looks like you have a lot more issues than just your TUYA setup…

As for the TUYA, it looks like it’s timing out reaching the TUYA servers. You have network/internet access from this computer?

I am at work currently so I am not on my home network if that makes a difference

It matters where your home assistant is running not where you are.

You have all kinds of errors in the log. Just from what you showed:

1. You have two sensor: blocks in your configuration.yaml file (at line 55 and line 122) - you should only have one.
  2. Then it can’t reach your pi-hole instance.
  3. Then it can’t reach your yee-light

Unless you brought your home-assistant computer to work with you, that’s not the issue (and certainly point 1 is not network related)

I’d start at the top and tackle these one-by-one…

So I fixed the first issue by combining the sensors:

# Sensors
sensor:
  # Weather prediction
  - platform: yr
  # Pi hole
  - platform: pi_hole
    monitored_conditions:
      - ads_blocked_today
      - dns_queries_today
      - unique_clients

There are a couple of errors that still remain:

2019-01-04 01:39:38 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.http] legacy_api_password support has been enabled. If you don't require it, remove the 'api_password' from your http config. 
2019-01-04 01:39:42 ERROR (MainThread) [hole] Can not load data from *hole: localhost                           
2019-01-04 01:39:42 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.sensor.pi_hole] Unable to fetch data from Pi-hole 
2019-01-04 01:44:52 ERROR (MainThread) [hole] Can not load data from *hole: localhost    
2019-01-04 01:44:52 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.sensor.pi_hole] Unable to fetch data from Pi-hole

and there is also a problem with how my entities load in the UI’s overview section seen here

Also for some reason logging into my duckdns server is hit or miss, Meaning about half the time it load and the other half of the time I get this screen:
Any ideas?

When you paste the logs, please use a code block like you did for the configuration.yaml content… it makes it very hard to read otherwise.

I hope you can tell from the logs that two issues (errors you posted and the stuff not displaying in HA) are related. The Logs say “Can’t reach pi-hole” and all of your pi-hole sensors in HA show “unavailable”…

So… why is it referring to “*hole” - Is that the name of pi-hole server? If so, that’s a bad name - the * is a wildcard character - that will certainly cause issues. Also it looks like it’s looking at “localhost” for the pi-hole server - is pi-hole running on the same Raspberry Pi as your HA?

EDIT: something you’ve never answered - are you sure you can access the internet and/or other computers on your LAN from this box?

Sorry I thought I did put it in a code block.

I am using Hassio’s Pi-Hole add-on to run Pi-Hole so yes they are running on the same pi. (Is it able to run on the same pi or is it supposed to be connecting to a separate Pi-Hole running it?) I didn’t name the instance *hole and I am not really sure where that file is tbh, but if I am running Pi-Hole incorrectly that would explain a lot.

Also yes, I can access other devices on LAN

The reason I asked is because if your Pi running HA is not able to connect to the internet, then that would explain stuff. Since Pi_hole replaces your DNS, if that was mis-configured somehow, then that would be why you can’t connect your TUYA.

Why don’t you turn off the pi-hole until you get everything working. Only set up one thing at a time and your life will be a lot easier.

I redid my config file following this guy’s method and I was able to get everything up and running

However, I am still occasionally getting this screen when connecting through my duckdns url:

My log file looks like this:

2019-01-04 17:31:17 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.config] Package homeassistant contains invalid customize
2019-01-04 17:31:49 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.http.auth] You need to use a bearer token to access /api/ from 172.30.32.2
2019-01-04 17:49:31 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: Fatal error on transport TCPTransport (error status in uv_stream_t.read callback)
TimeoutError: [Errno 110] Operation timed out
2019-01-04 17:49:41 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: Fatal error on transport TCPTransport (error status in uv_stream_t.read callback)
2019-01-04 18:31:21 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.updater] Got unexpected response: None
2019-01-04 19:50:31 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: Fatal error on transport TCPTransport (error status in uv_stream_t.read callback)
2019-01-04 19:51:07 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: Fatal error on transport TCPTransport (error status in uv_stream_t.read callback)
2019-01-04 19:56:53 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: SSL handshake failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "uvloop/handles/stream.pyx", line 609, in uvloop.loop.UVStream._on_eof
  File "uvloop/sslproto.pyx", line 171, in uvloop.loop._SSLPipe.feed_ssldata
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/ssl.py", line 689, in do_handshake
	self._sslobj.do_handshake()
ssl.SSLError: [SSL: HTTP_REQUEST] http request (_ssl.c:841)
2019-01-04 19:56:53 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: SSL error errno:1 reason: HTTP_REQUEST
  File "uvloop/sslproto.pyx", line 504, in uvloop.loop.SSLProtocol.data_received
  File "uvloop/sslproto.pyx", line 204, in uvloop.loop._SSLPipe.feed_ssldata
ssl.SSLError: [SSL: HTTP_REQUEST] http request (_ssl.c:841)
2019-01-04 19:57:12 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: SSL handshake failed
  File "uvloop/handles/stream.pyx", line 609, in uvloop.loop.UVStream._on_eof
ssl.SSLError: [SSL: HTTPS_PROXY_REQUEST] https proxy request (_ssl.c:841)
2019-01-04 19:57:12 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: SSL error errno:1 reason: HTTPS_PROXY_REQUEST
  File "uvloop/sslproto.pyx", line 504, in uvloop.loop.SSLProtocol.data_received
  File "uvloop/sslproto.pyx", line 204, in uvloop.loop._SSLPipe.feed_ssldata
ssl.SSLError: [SSL: HTTPS_PROXY_REQUEST] https proxy request (_ssl.c:841)
2019-01-04 21:19:15 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.entity] Update of light.14334122840d8e8fc0a4 is taking over 10 seconds

And my last issue is when I click configurator, happybubbles, or Pi-hole here I get blank screens. But the other tabs are working perfectly so I’m confused on what the issue is

@ha_steve Thanks by the way I’ve been making stupid mistakes so having people to talk through these things with has been helpful!!

Edit: Question, should my URLs for my panel_iframe be my duckdns website with the respective port or should it be my raspberry pi’s IP address & port??

You should put the URL you want your browser to load. In other words, you should be able to put that URL directly in your browser and have it load, so if that URL is not accessible outside your house, then your iframe won’t load when you are accessing HA from outside your house.

I don’t use duckdns, I have my own domain… but I’d say that if you are trying to access this from outside (which I assume is why you are using DuckDNS), then you’d need to use that URL

You still have a few errors in there (like it’s telling you some customize entries are incorrect)…