Noob with New Rpi4 Install ?s Hangin Me Up - 2020

Noob with New Rpi4 Install ?s Hangin Me Up - 2020…

First thank you all for all of your hard work and community help! You Rock! Thank you! :metal:

Second I apologize for this being a little long winded. I felt most of the details might be important. Sorry! :frowning_face:

• That being said you can just skip to the “QUESTIONS” below. lol :yawning_face:

After many hours/days of research I decided on HA (Home Assistant) over openHAB and HomeSeer (hello everyone at HA!).

For simplicity and learning I also decided to “start” with Rpi4 (as opposed to the many computers and NASs I have running 24/7).

I’ve read (to much imo - lol) the whole HA, HassOS and Hassio/Hass.io and different naming/installation choices, etc. (so please don’t turn my post into another debate, lol) So coming from a noob to answer your question… YES it is extremely confusing. lol

That being said I am leaning towards “starting” with new “HassOS 3” on the Rpi4. It sounds perfect, with the only major CON (and therefore my only initial concern o far) is being able to utilize the USB SSD more then the SD (more on that below).

HARDWARE:
So I have narrowed it down to starting with the following hardware (will be here tomorrow, Saturday):

• Rpi 4 4gb Canakit
  • 2x Samsung Pro Endurance 64gb Micro SD Cards
  • Kingston A400 240gb SSD card with StarTech USB to SSD
  • Aeotec Z-stick Gen5 USB and right angle adapter (which in theory should allow it to work as opposed to a “hub”)
  • Rii i4 Mini BT & Wireless (USB dongle) Keyboard/touchpad
  • Some Z-Wave Multi Sensors and Plugs to get me started
  • I should note the main goal is to use HA with my HAI OmniPro II as well as my Russound CA6 Audio/Video (for now) - JIC some users have experience with these, PLEASE PM me for future!
  • Lights TBD (possibly Lutron Caseta or RadioRA2 atm for reliability and being able to use them all manually if HA is down, etc)

QUESTIONS:

1 - Where/How do I install the latest “HassOS 3” for RPi4?
Also which is the latest/best “Installation” instructions/guide to install it on the Rpi4?
As I have seen a few but the are not using the brand new “HassOS 3”. And the official Getting Started seems to be device “images” or “VMs”, etc.

2 - During and/or after install can I do “something” (using “HassOS 3” if possible) to utilize more of the SSD and less of the SD, to eliminate the slowness and killing the SD cards?
I realize boot from USB on the Rpi4 (especially with “HassOS 3”) is not officially supported, yet, etc. (I realize it is around the corner). Though I have read about other successful techniques like booting from the SD but running from the SSD. And/or using a different DB and/or putting it on the SSD, etc. Ideally I can do “something” and still use most of the benefits of the “HassOS 3” (add-ons, update and back-up ease, etc) even if some tweaking is needed before/after each update/install, etc. which seems to be the biggest benefit of the “HassOS 3” (which also locks it down a little).

3 - If #2 is not possible with “HassOS 3”. What is the next “best” and most similar way (for a Rpi / HA noob with some web programming experience since the early 1990’s) to pick an OS and install HA with being able to use Add-ons. I love the idea of being able to implement an easy backup, update, test, and then rollback (if needed) process, especially being a noob and the frequent updates, etc.

4 - Wether using #2 or #3 above. What is the best way to have a complete, easily updated, ready to go entire SD/SSD setup backed up (to another drive or computer/device) that can be implemented incase of SD and/or SSD failure?
Doesn’t necessarily have to be a “mirrored” bootable backup of both the SD and SSD card, if that isn’t as easy or possible (but would be nice - lol).

I think that is enough to get me started and more then enough for this post (sorry guys/gals).

But I felt everything above was important and related during the initial install and setup, etc.

PS - Anyone have experience with HA with OmniPro and/or Russound please, please PM me. :wink:

Thank you all so much in advance! You Rock! Drinks on me! :metal: :beers:
Geo

Are you familiar with docker? I’d recommend installing Home Assistant Core on docker and move that installation to your SSD. So you would not be using HassOs but raspbian. It’s really easy to manage. I then use the backup to drive add-on to back up my Home Assistant instance to Google Drive. If ever anything fails (which happened once because of a user mistake) I only have to setup rasbian again, run my docker stuff, upload the backup from drive and load it into Home Assistant. Took me about an hour for the full restore from scratch.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply and info @ciB .

I’ve certainly read about “docker”. But admittedly I am very rusty on all things Linux atm. But I am familiar with some programming/scripting and an extremely fast learner. So that will be changing in the near future with this project. lol

This is certainly an option and I believe one I have read about before. I was hoping to be able to work with the “HassOS 3” to start with. And it being newer and support for Rpi 4 (and newer then all the other guides and ideas I came across) I was hoping there was some recent tweaks and progress was made on that front.

That being said let’s see what ideas others have in the meantime.

Thanks again!

Update…
Well I received my RPi4 and other components today.

I figured out my #1 question by reading and viewing various 3rd party guides.
The main getting started “image for your device” on the official website is for installing HassOS. I wasn’t 100% sure what OS or whatever it was installing.

Installing HassOS from Official Website for popular devices

So I’m up and running with basic install for now.

I am still trying to figure out and see if anything is possible for #2 is on HassOS. And if it is how to get around any ongoing update/snapshot issues.

Thanks…
Geo