Not able to add new Hacs add-ons

As a newby with HA I was hoping to get some things working. Such as adding a few add-on from the third party Integrations. Why is this all not working? I tried to add them using several methods. Manually placing them into the directory /HomeAssistant/custom_components/hacs and through the HA frontend using the add-on page adding the github url. If manually I know the files are in the right place and should be ready to used? loading them through the add-on tab is doing something but than nothing is available (I also do not see anything added in the directory. So nothing has been added than.
Also did a reboot start of the system after every step and refreshed the browser.

This is what I see when adding through the add-on page:

Some info about the file structure:

And some system info:

Versie 	core-2022.7.5
Type installatie 	Home Assistant Supervised
Ontwikkeling 	false
Supervisor 	true
Docker 	true
Gebruiker 	root
Virtuele omgeving 	false
Python-versie 	3.10.5
Besturingssysteem 	Linux
Versie van het besturingssysteem 	5.15.32-v7l+
CPU-architectuur 	armv7l
Tijdzone 	Europe/Amsterdam
Configuration Directory 	/config
Home Assistant Cloud
Ingelogd 	false
Certificaatserver bereikbaar 	ok
Authenticatieserver bereikbaar 	ok
Home Assistant Cloud bereikbaar 	ok
Home Assistant Supervisor
Host-besturingssysteem 	Raspbian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
Update kanaal 	stable
Supervisor versie 	supervisor-2022.07.0
Agent-versie 	1.2.2
Docker versie 	20.10.17
Totale schijfruimte 	58.5 GB
Gebruikte schijfruimte 	36.4 GB
Gezond 	true
Ondersteund 	Unsupported
Supervisor API 	ok
API Versie 	ok
Geïnstalleerde add-ons 	AppDaemon (0.9.1)

Anyone who can tell me what is going wrong? And where to start to get things up and running? Thanks.

Still not getting it to work. Further investigation showed me some files which seems to be added by the add-on repository part. But do not show up in the front-end. (I added the dutch_gas_prices add-on as a test). After a second reboot they suddenly appear. And I am able to install/start it. Other add-ons are not “valid” when I try to add the repository like the https://github.com/rroller/dahua . Even tried to add that with git straight into the pi@raspberrypi4:/usr/share/hassio/addons/git but that is not working either.

An addon and a custom component (or custom integration) are completely different things.

I custom integration is an extension of what is available here Integrations - Home Assistant - it runs in python and interacts directly with Home Assistant, same as any native integration. They can be installed via HACS or by copying the files to /config/custom_components. HACS is easier. It can run in any of the 4 install methods.

An addon is “foreign” software that is not directly providing integrations, it is to run something which home assistant doesn’t depend on, but is useful, like mosquitto for mqtt, samba, node red etc. It can be written in any language and is a separate docker container. It is only available in HA operating system installs or Supervised installs.

I looked, dahua is a custom component not an addon.

I really do recommend, install HACS. https://hacs.xyz/docs/setup/prerequisites

And don’t try to add files to /config/custom_components/hacs. The installer for HACS sorts that out, and other custom components/custom integrations go in their own sub directory.

I did already install hacs before (went trough all the install steps) but it is not in the overview. I think the version I am running is unsupported and that is maybe why it is not visible. If I need to add the hacs manually in /config/custom_components/hacs but where should it go than?

Have you followed all the hacs instructions for hacs?

What do you mean hacs is not in the overview? What overview?

The instructions show some different images than my system. Might be newer than the one referred to in the instructions?

Click the + button to add the hacs integration.

A tried but it’s not there :wink:

So you better go through the steps you went through to install hacs so far.

It is really hard to follow when I don’t read dutch :frowning:

I decided to start HA all over with a fresh install. Now with the the Rpi HA image. Maybe that will make things work better. Than I will install Hacs again as well

Ok now I have a new install running including HACS. I tried to install the Dahua Camera Integration through HACS but ending up with a never ending spinning circle… Waited for a long time to load but it never finishes the downloads.

You might be running into a rate limit at GitHub… :expressionless: That could explain the spinning circle…

Check under Settings > System > System Health what it says in the part about HACS, should look like this:

Home Assistant Community Store
GitHub API 	ok
GitHub Content 	ok
GitHub Web 	ok
GitHub API Calls Remaining 	5000
Installed Version 	1.26.2
Stage 	running
Available Repositories 	1084
Downloaded Repositories 	35

It says Github content unreachable. How to change that?

Fix your internet?

Look in the logs?

Follow the instructions for HACS which say to post a github issue?

Just in case you didn’t read my answer here: Currently the Dahua Add-on does not work with HA 2022.7.x

Edit: I have now done a test.

I saw your answer. After this whole time consuming process it was a big disappointment to read that. Any idea when it will be ready for 2022.7.x? Can I somehow downgrade and than use it? To which version and how to perform a down grade? Thanks.

The fact that the Dahua integration does not work in 2022.7 is not the cause of your issue, which is a problem with HACS, or your installation of it.

If you want to downgrade to 2022.6 then

ha core update --version 2022.6.7
1 Like