Not able to start Home assistant after boot up raspberry pi 3

After flashing the Hassbian v1.23 into the microSD and boot up. Display only shows a picture of Home Assistant Logo. Pls help.

FIrst of all, be patient. It can take quite a while (> 10 minutes) to install completely when first starting up. Go away, make a cup of coffee and watch a tv show rather than worrying about it, then come back to see if its finished.

The log file is at /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/home-assistant.log if you want to see what is actually happening. If nothing is happening after waiting, paste the output of the file here and someone should be able to help.

@Eng_Seng_Lim, did it finally boot?

I’m running into the same problem. My Raspberry Pi 3 has sat here with a wired guaranteed 100Mb/s fiber Ethernet Internet connection for over 2 hours and still no dice. The red LED on the front of the Pi blinks occasionally as does the green, but the screen goes black after about 15 minutes though the monitor is not in power save mode (disabled on this monitor).

Looking at the install instructions it didn’t seem like there is anything that I am required to edit to get things to boot the first time and I can see on the network switch that the Pi has gotten an IPv4 address via DHCP.

Is there a way I can manually apply the updates it’s trying to get? My primary workstation is running Fedora 26 so access to the file systems and getting necessary tools shouldn’t be a problem.

Looking at the SD card, there is no /home/homeassistant folder on resin-rootA.

Did you try to access the frontend through a browser of a computer/smartphone on the same network ?

Just go to http://hassbian.local:8123

I did attempt, and did not succeed. A port scan revealed no ports open for receiving. My efforts haven’t been exhaustive, but from what I can tell, the file system looks nearly default. There’s the addition of the “remove_me_to_reset” file on the resin-state partition. And on the resin-data partition under resin-data/homeassistant/ there is a file, “home-assistant” which has the following text:

2017-09-01 13:22:52 WARNING (Recorder) [homeassistant.components.recorder] Ended unfinished session (id=4 from 2017-09-01 16:12:19.423444)
2017-09-01 13:23:04 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of sensor is taking over 10 seconds.

The device isn’t even responding to pings. Any idea how I’d go about finding out what sensor it’s referring to? I’ve got a few more Pi 3’s to test with. I’ll do that in about an hour or so.

Did you try to Ssh to the pi and restart HomeAssistant service to see if it changes ? Or simply sudo reboot ?

Connection refused. :disappointed:

I’m thinking this has moved beyond a forum post and into the realm of bug reports. I’ve tried 5 different Pi’s with 5 different (new) SD cards, and downloaded the image 3 times. I feel confident that I’ve ruled out my hardware and think it’s either a problem with the process I’m using or the software.

In my case, I cannot use Etcher because I have Paragon’s Ext filesystem tools installed on Windows, and it prevents Etcher from writing, and on Linux and MacOS I just use pv and dd. Is Etcher doing something special I need to be aware of? I want to rule out processes before posting a bug. I don’t see anything in the file system or the file system image that should suffer from using dd–just want to be sure.

I’m going to have dinner with the wife and then I’ll come back and start stepping through the code to see if I can figure out where it’s getting hung up.

Thank you so much for the replies so far.

1 Like

I’ve never seen this before, sorry I can’t help you more on that.
I do a fresh install of all my setup almost every two monthes and so far everything worked fine each time. I am using etcher to burn the SD card, but I do not see how this could be the problem.

Just to be thorough, what country were your Pi’s made in? In case you aren’t already familiar, it’s marked in tiny print between the display header and the GPIO header, along the chip antenna.

All of mine say “Made in PRC”

I am seeing the same thing too. Using a UK PI.

Is there an easy way to turn the splash screen off so we can see the console messages ?

1 Like

If you haven’t done it yet, maybe watch this video and see if you do something wrong during the install

yes, “Made in PRC” marking on board

I have the same problem. I’ve left the installation running over night and nothin happened.

And as I said before, if you post the log file someone might be able to help.

A few things:

@gpbenton The only thing I could find that resembles a log file is the content I posted in the 5th post on this thread.

@lambtho The image link in the how-to video doesn’t exist (it’s version 1.1), but is otherwise the same procedure I’m using on my Mac which is simultaneously reassuring and disheartening. I’m getting my image from https://home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/ and then clicking “Raspberry Pi 3” That boots with a splash screen but doesn’t provided an obvious option to interrupt or show the console. If it’s built into the kernel, there may be an option to edit boot options in a file on the SD card to force showing the console but that is distribution dependent.

The readme on the github repo home-assistant/pi-gen suggests they are using a stock Raspbian build with the HA scripts added so stock RPi 3 boot config options should work. I don’t have a Pi 3 with me today so I cannot experiment until tonight.

I was primarily concerned with where the Pi’s were made because the units manufactured in China are known to have very small differences in components which appear to affect the low level operation of kernels in some projects. I’ve worked with a number of Pi’s on various projects and this is an issue that crops up every once in a while. Since we have a UK Pi 3 affected here, I think we can rule that out.

Installing Raspbian first and then installing the Home Assistant packages via python pip did work for me, but I’d really like to get to the bottom of this. I have not tried running hasspbian-scripts from the home-assistant github.

Again, the image and instructions I’m using are at:

These instructions are for hass.io, which is completely different from a HASSbian install. This post was put in the HASSbian category so everyone assumed you were using a Hassbian install. I suggest you create a new thread in the HASS.IO category with your problem.

I apologize. I did not realize there was a difference until now. Thank you for clarifying @gpbenton. A search for “Hassbian v1.23” lead me to:

This is exactly the same as Rasbian with the pi-gen scripts run, and that runs just fine on my Pi 3’s. That being said, it does not show the Home Assistant logo at boot which was the thing mentioned in the OP’s first post that lead me astray. I’m lead to believe now that both @Eng_Seng_Lim and I were confused. If that in fact is the case, then this thread is mistitled, and the reasons one would use Hass.io are not clear.

So pi-gen was used to create the image I’ve used, but it does not seem to have Home Assistant set up. The only link I can find for Hassbian appears to be made for the first gen RPi and doesn’t boot at all on my Pi 3. Can someone provide an official link for Hassbian that will run on a Pi 3?