Not about the Security bulleting

Check your correct route to the .HA_VERSION … mine is according to my own installation. Also, as mentioned by someone else, card-mod is used for me to see it quickly with a colour change … https://github.com/thomasloven/lovelace-card-mod

I haven’t had an update break any of my 3 installs in many, many months. You are in an overwhelming minority of people if this is happening to you often.

3 Likes

I don’t blame anyone either it’s just a fact. And now, with a security issue, some people who got way behind are going to be in a world of pain.

Recent updates break very little these days and if you read the breaking changes you shouldn’t get any nasty surprises. But it’s up to you…

2 Likes

Don’t know if this is the correct place to post this but will give it a try. I was running 2021.1.1 and got the notice a couple of days ago to upgrade. I just upgraded to 2021.1.4. Everything seems to be working except HACS. Says it is disabled and to check my logs. When I check the core logs first I found:

021-01-16 17:36:03 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] You are using a custom integration for hacs which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you experience issues with Home Assistant.

Then I found:

2021-01-16 17:11:54 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.config_entries] Config entry for hacs not ready yet. Retrying in 5 seconds

Not sure what to do.

Any help would be appreciated. If I need to repost somewhere else let me know where.

Chuck

If you just go to the Configuration Menu (as Frenck posted), you will see your installation type. Pretty simple, obvious, and unambiguous. Also, there is a separate blog post/community post for installation types, as Frenck alluded to.

The first entry is normal and expected for every custom component (which HACS is). Also, there are forums for HACS, as well as it’s own Discord Server. Do you have any issues accessing HACS? Those log entries do not indicate any glaring issues with that component.

First my installation is Hass.io with core and supervisor on a Raspberry Pi 4. All are latest versions. I upgraded direct from 2021.1.1 to 2021.1.4 skipped over .2 and .3.

When I go to configuration - integrations all of my integrations are there and third party integrations, ie Blue Iris, Alexa Media, Node Red, all seem to working fine. Only exception is HACS. The HACS sensor is “unavailable” and the only thing I see in the gui is that it is disabled and that I should check the logs.

Thanks for trying to help. I will post in the HACS thread of the forum.

Chuck

1 Like

I just had the same, a second reboot fixed it for me.

I am seeing errors with my Nest and Chromecast integrations after updating to 2021.1.4. Is this expected?

2021-01-16 21:20:06 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup failed for nest: unknown error
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/google/protobuf/internal/python_message.py", line 591, in _GetFieldByName
    return message_descriptor.fields_by_name[field_name]
KeyError: 'proto3_optional'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/setup.py", line 166, in _async_setup_component
    component = integration.get_component()
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/loader.py", line 416, in get_component
    cache[self.domain] = importlib.import_module(self.pkg_path)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/importlib/__init__.py", line 127, in import_module
    return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1014, in _gcd_import
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 991, in _find_and_load
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 975, in _find_and_load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 671, in _load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 783, in exec_module
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 219, in _call_with_frames_removed
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/nest/__init__.py", line 12, in <module>
    from google_nest_sdm.google_nest_subscriber import GoogleNestSubscriber
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/google_nest_sdm/google_nest_subscriber.py", line 12, in <module>
    from google.cloud import pubsub_v1
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/google/cloud/pubsub_v1/__init__.py", line 17, in <module>
    from google.cloud.pubsub_v1 import types
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/google/cloud/pubsub_v1/types.py", line 36, in <module>
    from google.pubsub_v1.types import pubsub as pubsub_gapic_types
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/google/pubsub_v1/__init__.py", line 18, in <module>
    from .services.publisher import PublisherClient
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/google/pubsub_v1/services/publisher/__init__.py", line 18, in <module>
    from .client import PublisherClient
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/google/pubsub_v1/services/publisher/client.py", line 37, in <module>
    from google.pubsub_v1.services.publisher import pagers
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/google/pubsub_v1/services/publisher/pagers.py", line 20, in <module>
    from google.pubsub_v1.types import pubsub
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/google/pubsub_v1/types/__init__.py", line 18, in <module>
    from .pubsub import (
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/google/pubsub_v1/types/pubsub.py", line 76, in <module>
    class MessageStoragePolicy(proto.Message):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/proto/message.py", line 214, in __new__
    field=[i.descriptor for i in fields],
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/proto/message.py", line 214, in <listcomp>
    field=[i.descriptor for i in fields],
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/proto/fields.py", line 104, in descriptor
    self._descriptor = descriptor_pb2.FieldDescriptorProto(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/google/protobuf/internal/python_message.py", line 530, in init
    field = _GetFieldByName(message_descriptor, field_name)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/google/protobuf/internal/python_message.py", line 593, in _GetFieldByName
    raise ValueError('Protocol message %s has no "%s" field.' %
ValueError: Protocol message FieldDescriptorProto has no "proto3_optional" field.
2021-01-16 21:20:22 ERROR (Thread-10) [pychromecast.socket_client] [Soundbar(192.168.XXX.XXX):8009] Failed to connect to service [REDACTED]._googlecast._tcp.local., retrying in 5.0s
2021-01-16 21:20:36 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.websocket_api.http.connection] [140116063631632] Received invalid command: camera_thumbnail
2021-01-16 21:20:36 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.websocket_api.http.connection] [140116063631632] Received invalid command: camera_thumbnail
2021-01-16 21:20:56 ERROR (Thread-11) [pychromecast.socket_client] [TV(192.168.XXX.XXX):8009] Failed to connect to service [REDACTED]._googlecast._tcp.local., retrying in 5.0s
2021-01-16 21:30:38 WARNING (Thread-11) [pychromecast.socket_client] [TV(192.168.XXX.XXX):8009] Heartbeat timeout, resetting connection
2021-01-16 21:32:10 ERROR (Thread-11) [pychromecast.socket_client] [TV(192.168.XXX.XXX):8009] Error reading from socket.
2021-01-16 21:32:10 WARNING (Thread-11) [pychromecast.socket_client] [TV(192.168.XXX.XXX:8009] Error communicating with socket, resetting connection
2021-01-16 21:35:30 ERROR (Thread-11) [pychromecast.socket_client] [TV(192.168.XXX.XXX):8009] Error reading from socket.
2021-01-16 21:35:30 WARNING (Thread-11) [pychromecast.socket_client] [TV(192.168.XXX.XXX):8009] Error communicating with socket, resetting connection

I am having the same issue: how did you solve this? (if you did)

I think that just means that HACS takes a while to load. Try deleting it from your integrations and re-adding if it doesn’t work at all.

I deleted the HACS integration then re- installed. With several restarts. Along the way. You may finally get a message that HACS needs to be upgraded.

Aa usual take a snapshot before you do anymore. Then once you have a working system take another.

Hope this helps!

Why delete HACS? No need.

The problem came up after I applied the upgrade to Home Assistant to 2020.1.4. The message I got was that HACS had been disabled and to look at the logs. The logs didn’t show me anything. I posted a question in this thread asking for help and got no responses. I got on the Discord server and in discussion there it was mentioned that there was an upgrade to HACS that I believe should have been applied prior to upgrading. I chose to delete HACS and re-install, thinking it would install the latest version. It did not. It installed the version I had just deleted. I had to go through several restarts of the system to then get the notification that there was an upgrade for HACS which is the one mentioned on the Discord server. Once applied my system has been just fine. Maybe not the way to fix it but it worked for me. Follow my path at your own risk! That is why I advised taking a snapshot before doing anymore. At least someone could restore back to that.
Chuck

Correction: when I posted to this thread and asked for help I did get two direct responses. While not solutions they got me thinking and directed me to the Discord server which I had never been on. That got me to thinking that I should have applied the HACS update before I updated Home Assistant. As I said in my original post all my other “Custom” stuff i.e. Node Red, Alexa Media Server, etc all were working fine. Problem was confined to HACS.