Not updated in a while!

Hi guys,

Been very busy with work and fixing up my house and general family life that I’ve not touched HA for quite some time.

HassOS 1.11 - Available 4.10
HA Core 0.86.4 - Available 0.111.0

Configurator 2.0 - Available 5.0.0
Duck DNS 1.5 - Available 1.12.0
NodeRed 1.3.0 - Available 6.3.0

And so on!! :smile:

Most addons can’t be upgraded now due to OS being so out of date. My question is, what is the easiest, least time consuming, safest etc. way of upgrading to the latest release. I also have broken integrations such as Nest for my smoke alarms and thermostat which i would like to fix in the process.

I suspect you might say backup wipe and start over. If that’s the case, what’s the easiest way of doing that these days and if I’m going to do it, should i install onto something better than a Pi with an SD card. Perhaps something a little better is in order these days.

Looking forward to spending a bit of time on the setup over the next coming weeks and trying to get certain elements working again or working better than they did before.

Thanks

You will be blown away by the newer os after upgrade. The addons updating and os updating plus the interface is a world improvement. Make notes of what you have and want and just take the reinstall

Your comment made me smile. I’m really looking forward to seeing these improvements for myself.

Motivated to get it sorted and back to rude health again. Any advice on the hardware front and what’s the easiest way to wipe and start over - shall i just node down my configurations and just copy across to the new install?

Save your nodes config definitely. New hass is node red integrated from within the interface. Suggest u just wipe reinstall following the regular instructions hassio.
Mine is on a rpi so used the rpi hassio googled instructions and all went fine.
You have been down this road before so I’m sure u got it covered. I’m a newbie

I agree. Backup yaml files mostly for reference or adding a bit at a time, wipe and start again. Much quicker than fixing that kind of neglect. Good luck.

No need to wipe and start over. You would still have to make all the breaking changes required to your existing config.

My advice would be to update one version at a time using the command line:

ha core update --version=x.y.z

Find the release notes for each update in the blog category:

https://community.home-assistant.io/c/blog/30

Fix the breaking changes for that version. Then move on to updating the next version.

The list of releases and breaking changes can also be found here: https://github.com/home-assistant/core/releases but the blog post comments usually have other pointers if something goes wrong. Use the search topic if you need to find a particular issue.

Ignore the beta releases and go for the last minor version of each release. e.g.

0.111.x

Feel free to skip ahead if there are no applicable breaking changes in a version.

The addons can be updated, as can HassOS.

Thanks Tom. I’ll take a look but i’m leaning towards getting a cheap 2nd hand NUC or similar so i think a fresh start is probably best while i keep my current setup online. Just need to get my head around the installation process for Ubuntu first.

No worries. After typing out that list I did have second thoughts.

Do you need a Linux operating system you can mess with? If not HassOS can be imaged to the drive.

My reasoning behind installing on Linux was so i can share some of the system resources. I’m only looking at a budget i3 / 4GB ram / 64Gb m.2 but it still seems a little overkill for the HA. TBH i’ve always ran my HA using hass.io which is really simple to deploy but i do want to move away from SD cards and give HA a bit more performance and more disk for logs. If i can install HA in a KVM that will allow me some freedom with the hardware. Just need to figure out how i can deploy HA in that way or if that’s the best approach. with HA being containerised, i’m just not sure of the pros / cons or which way is recommended.

That’s exactly how mine is setup on a pi which was mainly the means for me to get into this and start learning. I have no issues with it for now as it’s not over populated with sensors or any node red automations. However I have encountered a problem with it detecting state changes for binary sensor on the rpi gpio and I did ask for some help to that but no responses yet. It seems Your keen on a another rebuild method and I kindly suggest you look into the MQTT gpio setup on one system and your main on another setup, anilet and Tom above both have similar setups just different hardware.

Ha! I have a dedicated i7 chip and I do not feel guilty about it. Use the best you can afford.

I think i just managed to grab a bit of a bargain. Got a 6CAYSAJ for £80 2nd hand but unused. Comes ready to rock and roll with 4 Core Celeron J3455 1.50 GHz Proc, 2GB RAM and 32Gb Disk. Should be plenty for HA.

Got any tips on how to deploy, Tom? Am i right in thinking I’ll need Ubuntu, docker and home assistant and i should be golden? I think I’ll just dedicate the NUC to HA rather than virtualise. Is it still recommended to virtualise the Ha instance?

According to https://github.com/home-assistant/architecture/pull/394 you would better install debian 10 instead of ubuntu.

And there is a community guide for that here:

But there is an Ubuntu guide as well if you want to:

Ok thanks guys. I better do some swatting up then!

I have my popcorn and waiting on the updates.

Is it possible to never update Home assistant and run the current state for longer period in the same way without going into the core? i have my grandmothers house automated through home assistant since iam not living there i dont want any updates to the current state of HA.

You “old” HA will run fine as long as the integrations you are using do not need an update because, e.g., of a firmware update or an API change on the side of the devices you are using.

Iam mostly needed their zigbee switches and sockets to run smoothly through deconz setup on HA.