Notification Problem

Sensor and notification showing if update to Hassio is available - I’m using this at the moment:

- platform: template
    sensors:
      hass_update_available:
        friendly_name: 'Hass Update Available'
        value_template: >-
          {%- if states.sensor.hass_current_version.state != states.sensor.hass_installed_version.state -%}
             Yes
          {%- else -%}
             No
          {%- endif -%}
        icon_template: >-
          {%- if states.sensor.hass_current_version.state != states.sensor.hass_installed_version.state -%}
            mdi:alert-box
          {% else %}
            mdi:approval
          {% endif %}

This seems to work well.

I also have an automation to notify me if there is an update available:

- alias: Update Available
  trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: sensor.hass_current_version
  condition:
  - condition: template
    value_template: '{{ states.sensor.hass_current_version.state != states.sensor.hass_installed_version.state
      }}'
  action:
  - service: notify.notify
    data:
      title: Home Assistant Update
      message: Home Assistant {{ states.sensor.hass_current_version.state }} is now
        available

This is driving me crazy as OFTEN (like 20 times a day) the current version shows as ‘unavailable’ and I get a notification saying:
Home Assistant Update
Home Assistant unavailable is now available
Then the status will change back to the correct current version ID and then again at some time become unavailable again and rinse and repeat.

How do I edit the automation/template so that it ignores a current version of ‘unavailable’?

put a condition in after the action to check for available, then it will exit if the state is unavailable thereby not sending a notification

So this…

trigger:
  - entity_id: sensor.hass_current_version
    platform: state
  condition:
    value_template: '{{ states.sensor.hass_current_version.state != states.sensor.hass_installed_version.state
      }}'
    value_template: '{{ states.sensor.hass_current_version.state != "unavailable"
      }}'
  action:
  - data:
        available
    service: notify.notify

That should work :slight_smile: or as I said put it immediately after the action:

I was using the template editor (the graphical one) and that’s how it formats it

That’s a horrible thing, it formats everything all wrong :stuck_out_tongue: I only use notepad++ to hand code everything :slight_smile:

1 Like

Someone in chat suggested using this:

'{{ states.sensor.hass_current_version.state != states.sensor.hass_installed_version.state  and  states.sensor.hass_current_version.state = "unavailable" }}'

But I think the second test should be != (not equal to) rather than = (equal to)
But my logic might be flawed?

a single = wont work anyway it needs == but I think you are right != would work for unavailable or == for available

Thanks. I’ll give that a shot.

1 Like

Looks like this…

trigger:
  - entity_id: sensor.hass_current_version
    platform: state
  condition:
      and states.sensor.hass_current_version.state != "unavailable"}}'
  action:
  - data:
        available
    service: notify.notify
1 Like

Just to confirm, the above works and it stopped all the spurious notifications but I got the upgrade available notification correctly.