Notifications issue

I’ve been thru all the troubleshooting, reinstalling, restarting, and 2 android phones. Persistent notifications work, lovelace works, but push notification don’t. Is remote access required? So far I have only tested on my local lan.

1 Like

What do you mean persistent works but push didn’t? Persistent is a push notification

Thanks for the reply. Probably a poor choice of words. I mean the non-persistent notifications described here: Notifications - Home Assistant
I have tried the critical notifications troubleshooting listed here:
Critical notifications | Home Assistant Companion Docs
No luck so far.

Are you using the minimal version of the app? If so then notifications is not supported there. Other than that does the app have permission to post notifications? Maybe you turned that off? Are there any HA errors when you send the notification?

remote access is not required as notifications use firebase.

It’s the full version from google play store. App has full permissions including notifications. I do see this error:
Logger: homeassistant.components.mobile_app.notify
Source: components/mobile_app/notify.py:188
Integration: Mobile App (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 12:27:56 (9 occurrences)
Last logged: 16:16:06

Error sending notification to Home Assistant Mobile Apps ClientConnectorError(ConnectionKey(host=‘mobile-apps.home-assistant.io’, port=443, is_ssl=True, ssl=None, proxy=None, proxy_auth=None, proxy_headers_hash=-5239339735955401218), gaierror(-3, ‘Try again’))

Looks similar to this post:

that you responded to in March. From this issue:

I see some troubleshooting steps. I can resolve the url:
https://mobile-apps.home-assistant.io/api/sendPush/android/v1
and it returns: {“errorMessage”:“You did not send a token!”}

any pointers?

Could’ve been a temporary error when you tried, I don’t see the error on my end. I am able to receive notifications.

Still not working for me

Do you have a proxy or firewall setup or anything? Maybe try to bypass it to see if its something on your end? You can try these steps as well but not sure if it will help the situation.

No proxy or firewall here. If the lovelace dashboard communicates on the app, is the app using a different data path? It is confusing why one part of the app communicates and another doesn’t.

The app uses many different communication methods to your server than what the HA frontend does. It all depends on what is being used by the app. In this case your HA server is trying to reach out to the firebase server to send a message. Your device then retrieves that message from firebase but only if the server successfully sends it which in this case its not.

Is there a way to test the firebase connectivity directly to narrow down where the communication is failing? Any command line testing?

Not that I know of, have you tried the start fresh steps to see if that changes things after logging back in? The steps outlined need to be followed in order.

Presumably you can increase logging, but I am not sure if it should be the mobile_app component or the notification component that you need to increase the logging for.

I’m running container. Is there a way to add logging without adding the supervisor?

Is this required for the companion app notifications?

Logging is done in configuration.yaml it has nothing to do with the supervisor.
HTML5 push notifications are only required for getting notifications in Chrome and Firefox etc

1 Like

Firebase started working without any changes on my part. Occasionally it delays notifications by 15 minutes or so. No idea what changed.

Hello Guys!

I have run into the same problem and i found out what have i messed up with my HA. I am running HA in docker container on an UBUNTU and recently i started experimenting with docker installation Pi-Hole and AdGuard (on the same server) but it turned out it is not useful to me as i can not use for DNSoverHTTPS encryption (complicated). I started to experiment with my linux networking settings that i am not completely understand. Days later I realized that I am not getting phone notifications from HA. It turned out after lot of reinstalling and debugging that the problem was my UBUNTU network setting and reset of networking setting solved my issue that i had been trying to make it work for days.

Here is the commend that i used: sudo iptables -F

1 Like

Seeing there was no resolution to this from the original poster.

April 2024 - Same issue, android notifications not working.

Error sending notification to https://mobile-apps.home-assistant.io/api/sendPush/android/v1: ClientConnectorError(ConnectionKey(host='mobile-apps.home-assistant.io', port=443, is_ssl=True, ssl=None, proxy=None, proxy_auth=None, proxy_headers_hash=1071565899329044969), gaierror(-3, 'Try again'))

I’m running HA on virtualbox within Ubuntu as the operating system.
ubuntu has no firewalls in place.
Ubuntu as the host can resolve the domain and connect perfectly fine.

$ curl https://mobile-apps.home-assistant.io/api/sendPush/android/v1
{"errorMessage":"You did not send a token!"}

In my situation, this was working when I had the VM running on windows 11, but not since getting it online on ubuntu.

Are there any firewalls running on your Ubuntu host (iptables, ufw, etc)? That’s the first thing I would check. Also, if you have a port forward in your router, check to make sure that the forward to IP is set to your new VM.

Ubuntu has no firewalls active/nothing is restricted.

The IP of the new VM is identical to how it was setup when the host was windows11. The only change is the OS.

Its almost like HA has its own firewall blocking it.