Notify or do something when an appliance like a dishwasher or washing machine finishes

I am having some problems with this blueprint… Using it with both my dishwasher and my regular washer together with two BlitzWolf SHP-13 (TS011F_plug_1). Sometimes the automation doesn’t start at all, even though the program is 3 hours long and it worked the day before. I can see when looking at my plugs that the power actually goes up during the cycles as expected, but the automation is not running for some reason.

Anyone have any idea why this might be happening - intermittently?

1 Like

thanks for this great blueprint. Is it a good idea to turn off the washing machine power plug when the machine has finished but the display is still on? You have to manually set it to “Off” for the display to stop glowing.
Will this permanently damage the device?

Is there a way to exclude notifications during the night?

I can’t get it to work, error message

Message malformed: Missing input pre_actions

1 Like

just add a waiting step in pre actions (the 2nd action line in the UI) and set it to 0

Hello,
I try this BP but didn`t work . Could you help me ?
What is wrong here ?

try adding another action…it works fine here with android and IOS phones, but maybe there’s an issue with your setup.
heck, add a button on your home screen just a ‘send message’ / notification to your phone when you press it to test that part…
also, do you have the correct sensor selected - check it’s history, and see if it’s lots of jagged peaks, or a smooth line

Anyone have something for if you are using an Acceleration \ Vibration Sensor instead of the Power Measure? This is what I have currently but it doesn’t seem to work:

description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id:
      - binary_sensor.washing_machine_acceleration
    to: "on"
    for:
      hours: 0
      minutes: 5
      seconds: 0
    entity_id:
    to: "off"
    for:
      minutes: 2
condition: []
action:
  - service: notify.alexa_media_living_room_echo
    data:
      target: notify.alexa_media_living_room_echo
      data:
        type: tts
mode: single

How do you mean when you say “does not work?”

As written, your logic is going to send the notification at the start and stop. You probably want a condition of “triggered by on” with your first action being to wait for the acceleration sensor to flip off, then send your notification.

Could you clarify the triggered on? I would like it to Notify after 5 minutes of Vibration stopping, if the contact sensor is state closed and after like 10 mins of previous vibration (ie the machine running). I removed the Start condition and added a check for the state of the contact sensor, any further thoughts? Here is what I have now

description: ""
trigger:
    entity_id:
    to: "off"
    for:
      minutes: 5
condition:
  - condition: and
    conditions:
      - condition: state
        entity_id: binary_sensor.washing_machine_contact
        state: "off"
action:
  - service: notify.alexa_media_living_room_echo
    data:
      target: notify.alexa_media_living_room_echo
      data:
        type: tts
mode: single

Your original rule had two triggers; one for the acceleration going on and one for acceleration going off. Either one would trigger the rule. You only had one notify action. So you would have gotten notified when the acceleration went on (machine start) and off (machine stop).

The new rule looks better, but you don’t the need the “and” in the conditions.

Hmm it appears to be working, but getting some false positives when it sits for longer than 5 minutes, any suggestions for adding don’t notify until at least 30 minutes after first detecting movement? I feel like that would help.

I suppose increasing the no vibration timer over 5 minutes would help.

You’ll need to review the history for the entity through a wash cycle to see what your thresholds should be. I don’t use an acceleration sensor so I’m no help here.

I use this for my washing machine and it’s excellent! However, my dish washer is causing me problems: it always ends with a drying cycle which uses the same electricity as when it’s idle, then a brief run of the pump and back to idle, so I cannot use going to that idle power threshold for the finish event (since it will be triggered on the drying cycle, not at the end). Any ideas how to modify this automation for my use case?

If it helps I’ve attached the graph:

If the drying cycle is the same length of time, every time, then just set a time delay before the notification.

2 Likes

Occam’s automation in action.

1 Like

Hi, fantastic blueprint. Just imported but get the error message Message malformed: Missing input pre_actions. Running on 2023.11
I have seen in the comments that this happened before. Anybody knows a fix? Would love to start using it.

3 Likes

Nobody has an idea??? Would be great ti get it to work. Thanks!!!

Did you add something to the second action box?

Hi, I find the answer here : https://gist.github.com/sbyx/6d8344d3575c9865657ac51915684696
“For those getting, ‘Message malformed: Missing input pre_actions’, add a wait time of 1 second into, ‘Actions when starting threshhold is crossed’ section at the bottom and it’ll be saveable.”