Notify TTS also for Airplay (privacy first!)

WTH! It would be great if it would be possible to Notify TTS to my Airplay devices. So I can shout messages to my Airplay loudspeakers around the house.

I only have 1 Sony Chromecast device, but that doesn’t work because it needs to “see” Google for some spy reason and my firewall prohibits that due privacy first. But Airplay does work on that Sony and everywhere without needing internet!

An alternative would be mini-Jack out (from my RPi400 running HA) to this speaker.

Integration: Notify using TTS - Home Assistant

Hi there, you can add Airplay devices through the Apple TV integration and use the TTS through the media_player entity. I just tested this with my AirPlay 1 enabled Onkyo Receiver.

1 Like

Geeeze I was skeptic but you’re right! It isn’t mentioned in the AppleTV integration but it works. It even passed the “pincode” thing (which is not possible to input due it’s a speaker Sony SRS-88) The only thing that doesn’t work is the service: notify. So I need to figure out how to send speech to the device other then call-service notify I used until now for some tablets…
Thanks. Hope this keeps working in the future…

You can try the Chime TTS integration’s notify feature

I see that it works with service: tts.speak instead of notify.

service: tts.speak
target:
  entity_id: tts.google_nl_nl
data:
  cache: true
  media_player_entity_id: media_player.srs_x88
  language: en
1 Like

Glad to help! I think it should continue to work. This GitHub Pull Request has links to a few other PRs/Issues where the devs talked about issues with auto-discovery discovering some devices that already had a better protocol, like Sonos speakers. They deemed that there should be filters so users don’t get duplicate devices. There was also talk of renaming the Apple TV integration, but that didn’t move ahead.

Yep that’s the one I was using.