Notify when an addon update becomes available

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f3282958830> #<Tag:0x00007f32829585d8> #<Tag:0x00007f3282958290> #<Tag:0x00007f328295ff68>

Hi all,

Before the blueprint-era I used the same automation over and over for each addon to notify me whenever there was an update available. With the new blueprint functionality I can make only one adjustment to the blueprint which will then apply for each automation that uses it.

The blueprint is quite simple: it sends a notification that has an URL to the addon page.

(Note: this is triggered by ‘execute’, therefore the version numbers are the same)

There is a pre-condition to use this automation: you should make sensors that retrieve the status of the addons. For the sensors, you could use the following template: https://pastebin.com/UjdmztvU
(Note: I had to use pastebin, otherwise the blueprint cannot be imported)

For the secrets:

The blueprint itself is quite self explanatory. Note that the ‘hostname’ returns a value in the form of a0d7b954-vscode instead of a0d7b954_vscode to use it in the url ( /hassio/addon/a0d7b954_vscode/info). Therefore the regex expression is used, which will replace the ‘-’ with an underscore ‘_’.

Blueprint

blueprint:
  name: Addon update notifications
  description: Sends an update to a selected notifier when an update of an addon is available.
  domain: automation
  input:
    addon_sensor:
      name: Addon sensor
      description: "This sensor contains the version information of the sensor and should include the attributes 'version', 'version latest', 'hostname' and 'name'."
      selector:
        entity:
          domain: sensor
    notify_device:
      name: Notify device
      description: "The device where the notification should be sent to."
      selector:
        device:
          integration: mobile_app

variables:
  sensor_input:   !input addon_sensor
  version:        "{{ state_attr( sensor_input, 'version' ) }}"
  version_latest: "{{ state_attr( sensor_input, 'version_latest' ) }}"
  hostname:       "{{ state_attr( sensor_input, 'hostname' ) | regex_replace(find='-', replace='_', ignorecase=False)}}"
  addon_name:     "{{ state_attr( sensor_input, 'name' ) }}"

trigger:
  platform: event
  event_type: state_changed
  event_data: 
    entity_id: !input addon_sensor

condition:
  condition: template 
  value_template: "{{ version != version_latest }}"

action:
  domain: mobile_app
  type: notify