Now completely confused about getting hassio onto Raspbian

From the Raspbian Wikipedia page:
“Raspbian is a Debian-based computer operating system for Raspberry Pi.”

And from the Raspbian.org page:
“ Raspbian is a free operating system based on Debian optimized for the Raspberry Pi hardware . ”

I agree with your screenshot that they are similar enough that Raspbian still displays as Debian.

Moving forward, I wonder if a PR to the docs at

Would help to specifically add the name “Raspbian” to Debian and Ubuntu.

This is my Home Assistant Supervised NUC machine if you like that other one…
Also running Debian of course…

1 Like

I know you are trying to be helpful, but quit while you’re behind.

got ya beat!

EDIT: I just noticed that it still says ubuntu even though i’m on debian :man_facepalming:

1 Like

I’m not the one who is confused about anything here.

1 Like

I’ve ran the supervised installer on CentOS and it installed fine. You just need to make sure you install the needed docker components.

A fair and good point. Based on what I’ve learned from this thread, I submitted a PR to the documentation to clarify Raspbian being supported as OS for a supervised HA installation.

1 Like

I really, really don’t want to rehash all these points, but my PR for docs was just refused by Frenck on the grounds that Rasbian is NOT a supported OS for supervised installs. @kanga_who @DavidFW1960

Perhaps we should say it is an install type well supported by the community.

https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant.io/pull/13163#issuecomment-619426201

1 Like

It’s Debain, it’s supported. The docs can not list every single Debain based OS as supported.

Should I submit a pull request to list Diet Pi as a supported Pi OS because I used and tested that last week?

Should I submit a pull request to list Pop!, Mint or MATE, because they all work on X86 Generic installs?

How long is a piece of string?

Hey, I agree. But we’re hearing a message from one of the core developers saying Raspbian is not officially supported for that type of install. Direct quote: “Actually, it’s not supported.”

And I like DietPi too.

I’m not sure what part of Raspbian IS Debian you don’t seem to understand, or that they can not list every single Debian OS as supported.

No, you are hearing a message that no one else is hearing.

Take it up with Frenck. He didn’t say Raspbian is the same as Debian so no documentation change needed; he said Raspbian isn’t officially supported. Check the link I posted to the PR.

I’ve read it. Again, it’s a message only you are (mis)understanding. I’ll leave you to your delusions.

Why don’t you two take it to a new level, let’s say, you write each other a private message? :slight_smile:

No offense intended, but I get a message for every new post, and for me it looks, you reached an impass…nothing new to say, at least not for others.

Would that be an idea? :slight_smile: Thanks guys! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same, which I think is an utterly daft approach by the Devs. Far too precious about HASSOS.

The only issue I have come across when running on Raspbian is that apparmour is not compiled into the kernel. All I suggested was a note here, that said if using Raspbian don’t install apparmour.

Of course, if the hassio script actually checked to see if it was enabled instead of assuming just because it was installed it worked, it wouldn’t matter (another rejected issue) but this “Raspbian is not supported” mantra is a bit wearing.

Thanks for reference to the installation guides…I will give them a go at some stage…they look very well written.

1 Like

It checks to see if it’s installed, and if it is utilizes it.

# Install Hass.io AppArmor
if command -v apparmor_parser > /dev/null 2>&1; then

Yes I know, but I happened to install apparmour on my RPi (followed the install instructions) but apparmour is not compiled into the kernel so it raises errors when the parser is called.

There is quite a bit around about this error and it all boils down to Devs just checking if apparmour is installed rather than if it is enabled!!!

None taken, but to stop getting notifications, just click this and your problem is solved.
mute

I’d be interested to hear how you go, I am always looking to improve them, so if you have any feedback, please send me a PM and let me know.