Now completely confused about getting hassio onto Raspbian

I realise this may be an issue with operating systems but I am really struggling with how I should install Home Assistant.

Initially, I used the standard Home Assistant SD card method, so my Raspberry Pi was just running Home Assistant only.

Although I was having some issues, the simpler device were up and running (such as Smartthings).

However, it seemed to me to be sensible to have more flexibility and have Raspbian running with Home Assistant installed. I tried Raspbian Buster and it seemed that the Docker option was the ideal way. Managed to install Home Assistant but then found that the Supervisor Add Ons were not available with this. This seems t reduce the simplicity of the system and needs a hi-tech Linux background to do everything at command line level. That is certainly not me.

I know Hassbian used to exist so I guess I am trying to recreate that.

So attempt 3 was to use the many methods suggested online (includng the Alternative: install Home Assistant Supervised on a generic Linux host instructions) at all seem to result in attempting variations of the following command:

curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-installer/master/hassio_install.sh | bash -s -m raspberrypi4-64

This results in bash: line 1: 500:: command not found

Is it not possible to have Home Assistant running on Raspbian with the facility to use Add-Ons?

If you want the add-on store on Raspbian, then you arenā€™t trying to re-create Hassbian. Hassbian was Raspbian with home assistant pre-configured in a virtual environment.

The command you referenced has changed because of the Great Renaming :tm:

While you could probably install supervised HA on Rasbian via the Ubuntu/Docker script from the docs, Iā€™d recommend against this. Much better to return to your original install setup with HassOS. Better supported.

You appear to be unfamiliar with the pros and cons of the different ways Home Assistant can be installed. May I ask if you read the documentationā€™s installation instructions? Because if you did, and it still caused this much confusion, then the documentation may require improvement.

There are many advantages for running ā€˜generic linux installā€™ to running HassOs. And both are equally supported here.

2 Likes

@francisp

You sure about that? I thought I read a comment from pvizeli that supervised HA (ie, new name ā€œHomeAssistantā€) isnā€™t 100% supported when not running on HassOS - that the script that allows installation on of a generic linux OS running Docker might break at any time.

However - if you meant the community supports both types of install, I agree. Or if you meant HomeAssistant Core running on a generic linux install, I agree.

SUPPORTED SYSTEMS AND LIMITATIONS

While Home Assistant Supervised can be run on practically any Linux systems, the Home Assistant project limits support for this installation method.

Only the use of Debian or Ubuntu is supported. Other Linux-based system may work but is not part of our testing and thus not supported.

@petro
Excellent! I misread that last part. Good to know Ubuntu/Debian fully supported.

Back to OP - eventhough Raspbian is Debian based, Iā€™m not sure it counts as one of the fully supported systems. Hence, repeating my recommendation to stick with HassOS (if youā€™re running on a Pi).

Ubuntu and Raspbian are based on Debian.

1 Like

@123
Right, I know that. What Iā€™m saying is that despite Raspbian being Debian based, it likely doesnā€™t count as fully supported. Ie, not all Debian derivatives are supported (which is why they specifically list Ubuntu as being supported eventhough it is Debian based).

So, you think that the OS that HA was originally designed to run on when it was first created will, for some unknown reason, suddenly be decided to stop being officially supported? Even tho Raspbian is directly derived from Debian just like Ubuntu is?

@finity. I think you are confusing HomeAssistant Core and HomeAssistant.

Raspbian is just customised debian. In fact if you do a name on a Raspbian system it will say Debian as the O/S.

You are making WAY too much of that one line. This type of install is fully supported.

2 Likes

Works for me. Iā€™m just repeating what the docs say.

And back to the OP, stain originally said the script to install Supervised HA on Raspbian wasnā€™t working.

The only reason it didnā€™t work is because the script MOVED in the git repo when they dumped the hassio NAME.

1 Like

That is completely false.

Again, completely incorrect. You should probably stop offering advice on things you donā€™t understand.

@stain3565 Here is guide you might find useful to help you get Home Assistant running on your Pi. It combines official instructions, plus some extra info to make things easier.

EDIT: Substitute anything in the guide that states Raspberry Pi 3, for Raspberry Pi 4.

3 Likes

Easy there kanga. As mentioned above, I missed the line where it said That type of install was supported on Debian & Ubuntu. And as weā€™ve now all covered a few times, it seems like the belief is that Rasbian, being Debian based, is also supported (though Not sure why the docs feel the need to mention separately that Ubuntu is supported when it is also Debian based).

Itā€™s better not to offer advice if you donā€™t know the subject matter, which in this instance, you donā€™t. You made one incorrect statement after another.

Thereā€™s no ā€œbeliefā€ that Raspbian being Debian based makes it supported, it IS supported, always has been.

Raspbian IS Debian

Love that uptime :wink:

1 Like