NSPanel Pro - Custom android apps (working)

@seaky is your tool still on going to provide firmware updates to nspanel pro at some point? nice work by the way thanks. GitHub - seaky/nspanel_pro_tools_apk

@blakadder: v1.5 the procedure to enable ADB is again the same as in v1.3.2.

I’ve been looking through quite few threads about NSPanel (pro and original) as well as other control panel options. Having a good read through this thread, I was wondering if the Rhasspy android app that is being worked on (New Rhasspy Mobile App - Beta - #81 by Donireland49 - Development - Rhasspy Voice Assistant) would work alongside the companion app on the NSPanel Pro. Has anyone tried it? Keen to hear as that would push me over the line to get one. Thanks.

Hi,
Does anyone know if it is safe to update to 1.6 before enabling ADB or are there any new complications?

Regards,
Sebastian

What is your current fw version?

Generally I DO NOT recommend to upgrade above 1.5.0. In 1.5.6 Sonoff removed a tons of usefully binaries from system folder such as chmod, getprops, cp, dd, df, getevent, ps etc so they removed almost everything what could be usefull in the future. In 1.6.0 they slimmed down the OS even more to release more space for frpc reverse proxy.

But they do not change the original Android 8.1 binaries so I think (if you plan to enable ADB) its pointless to upgrade to 1.6.0.

Everybody should understand that a frimware upgrade in this product most probably wont change or affect to the Android 8 capabilities it is only impact to the vendor specific area such as original app features. So if you are not commited to use the Sonoff ecosystem be aware to upgrade it above 1.5.0

My projects:

Regards,
Seaky

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply. The version I got is app 1.5.6 system 1.4.0
Successfully enabled adb via ewelink app. Shell binarys for CP and chown still worked.

Updated WebView so far.

Does anyone know if the zigbee2mqtt is already tested out with this panel. Blackadder mentioned something about coordinator over TCP, but there’s no manual out there till now. Does it work by following his TuYa T6 Tutorial and is it necessary to update the ZigBee firmware beforehand?

Also app 1.7.0 got released yesterday or today.
But I’m locked on 1.5.6 for now :wink:

1 Like

Before I decide to bite the bullet and buy one of these, does anyone know if the methods above still work in V1.7? the website has them listed as now having 1.7, the annoying thing is I’d go for the less locked down Tuya jobbies, but the grey body suits the room it’s going to be installed in far better than the Tuya ones.

Just conscious of dumping that much on a device that may not work.

Hi all.
I am also collecting info before deciding to invest on NSPanel Pro for my house renovation.
I am following the changes in versions and the related challenges. Nothing new for similar tweaks to intended use of tools.

Is there any news regarding the option to use the NSPanels as Zigbee2MQTT coordinator over TCP to extend the Zigbee coverage?

You locked on 1.4.0 but the Control app is easily upgradeable with adb install.
Btw the firmware also upgradeable with my tool but there is not reason currently.

So don’t mind about 1.7 the 1.4 OS is way better for customization. I have all the firmware since 1.3 and from android and zigbee perspective there was no significant update. I’ve checked also the 1.7 and they are still cleaning the android system and pruging all unnecessarry components. Nevertheless the Control application has new features of course which only usable in the sonoff ecosystem.

1 Like

Dear Seaky,
my NSPanel Pro is on 1.3.3, I used you RootToois, but I can’t find the new firmware, how can I download it?

1 Like

I have a problem where my Nspanel Pro goes dark and i cannot wake it.
Have to cycle power and it turns on. Maybe it goes into Deep Sleep?
This panel is running 1.5.0.

Have another panel running 1.7.0 without this issue. A part from different Nspanel FW it has the exact same configuration.

Any way to prevent this?

1 Like

If you have access to Settings (I assume becuse on an intact device it is not turned on default) then Settings->Display->Advanced->Sleep which controls this behaviour.

• Never sleeps means no deep sleep
  • X sec sleeps means after X sec the device will go to deepsleep which can be prevented by my application NSPanelTools
2 Likes

My device is in adb mode how can I upgrade the official upgrade? have you done anything with it?? thanks

1 Like

I’m trying to install the adb drivers but i keep getting this error, what am i doing wrong?

i even tried it on a different pc and get the same issue.
when boot the panel in recovery mode it doesn’t show up with the adb devices -l command

I have purchased device with version 1.5.6 preinstalled, but I have decided to upgrade it to the current version before trying to enable ADB. After the upgrade to 1.8.0 I was able to successfully enable ADB developer mode, hence confirming it is safe to upgrade:

❯ adb devices -l
List of devices attached
192.168.XXX.171:5555    device product:px30_evb model:px30_evb device:px30_evb transport_id:1

Update: One more good thing about 1.8.0 update is that there is no more need to upgrade the WebView since Android System WebView 107.0.5304.105 is already included.

3 Likes

Hello,
i have that version of WebView on 1.5.0 so no need to upgrade at all (unlocked from developer menu)

Any chance you can download the 1.8.0 apk and post it here so all of us that are stuck on a lower one can install it? :slight_smile:

Thank you !

1 Like

Hi @seaky , any tutorial how we can enable FW update? I can read above that you’ve mentioned that you have made a way to upgrade via your tools, but after installing them, i cannot see any clear way of doing so. It asks a zip to be placed so the update can be performed. Any repo or cloud link where we can find the FW zips?

Thank you in advance!

1 Like