NSPanel Pro - Custom android apps (working)

Hello Kotnik,
could you please share how did you enable ADB developer mode from 1.8.0?
We have an NSPanel Pro with this latest firmware and opened it to connect via USB. We do get the USB connection with the “lsusb” command on raspberry, but when we do the “adb devices -l” command, we don’t get any device shown.

Thank you in advance.

Thanks for the tip. Working great with 1.8

You need to use this method to force a restore and then install alternative launcher immediately after the restore before the panel fully restarts:

The first thing I did was to install their eWeLink application (link to it is in the manual). I linked the device and enabled developer mode in that application itself, and not on the device, by tapping Device ID 8 times. After that I was able to adb connect via wifi and continue with the setup. I did not have to disassemble the device to plug in USB cable at all.

Hi all,
Do you know how to disable develop mode on nspanel?
I’d like to use it for something else and I can’t manage to deactivate it.
does anyone know how?

1 Like

Welcome to the point of no return my friend. Once you enable developer mode there is no comming back…

I’ve tried contacting sonoff directly and most they could do is do a partial refund and say to me to buy another one if i want it to be stock (not in developer mode). So no updates for me and everyone that went the developer road… I am waiting for someone to post the latest .apk file of 1.8.0 version so i could sideload it.

1 Like

Hello
yes I agree…
I’ve tested everything and there’s no turning back
impossible to update firmware
I wanted to test the ns panel with the latest updates.
so I put back home assistant like the tuto

Firmware Sonoff 1.9.0 → install Adb → Boot Reset 5x times → Firmware 1.5.6

• add RTSP Camera. Camera ok. Reboot Device. none Camera .
  • V 1.5.6 Camera Screen “freezze” after some mintues. In V1.9.0 Camera ok.
  • Temp no Sensor Control
  • Iobroker Temp no writing 1.5.6 V1.9.0 ok

how to manuell update the Firmware to Version 1.9.0 ??
Device Info Screen says Software Update “actual Firmware” , app & os Version 1.5.6

After ADB activated the Device is not more usable. Thanks Sonoff for special developer Mode.

1 Like

For Everyone that got stuck on older version and want to update to a newer one, please use Seaky’s excellent tool for firmware update posted above.

The only addition I will add is the repository with firmware’s to flash that was posted in the GitHub issues thread:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1bHLLJy8vYUjkCCnyUmrHgEFWi_2cxywv

Tip, when downloading the zip, transfer it to the ADB Tools folder and rename it to the name needed in the pro root tool app menu,
then just move that file via adb to the NSPanel Pro and then update it via the tool.

I’ve used the 1.7 version one and worked perfectly. The only thing that i was surprised was the next morning the nspanel was restarted and when i saw the version it was 1.9.0, so it did a fw update all by itself even though i was in developer mode and in ewelink app it shows unknown :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just bought the latest Sonoff NSpro panel, to use with Home Assistant.

I found the learning curve somewhat steep, cost me whole day what seemed so easy in the youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1Dqdz8yHDc
I even opened up the device doing the USB OTA to my computer connection, but this wasn’t needed. So to MAYBE help others out:

Install ADB (android remote debug software) using this manual: https://www.makeuseof.com/install-apps-via-adb-android/
I have a Mac, but used the Scoop version on Windows 11 on Parallels because it seemed easier. Spend hours earlier not getting the terminal working properly with ADB, when downloaded if from here. SDK Platform Tools release notes  |  Android Studio  |  Android Developers

When the terminal works with ADB.

-Setup the Sonoff panel.
-Connect the panel to the eWelink app. When done, look in the app settings there you can tap device ID 8 times to activate developer mode. When you get option to activate the ADB - you need to accept some terms. After that go back to see if it’s really on (I needed to flip one extra switch that showed after accepting the terms) Then I was able to connect via TCP/IP no USB cable used. How to connect?

Open the terminal and type:

adb connect 192.168.66.66

(replace 192.168.66.66, with your Panels IP adress)

And by typing

adb devices -l

You get a list of devices attached, for example in my case:

192.168.66.66:5555 device product:px30_evb model:px30_evb device:px30_evb transport_id:1

So now we have a connection, we need to install the “launcher” that prevents automatic opening of the Sonoff eWelink software. So you can install the home assistant companion app instead (not covering that part).

When trying the command:

adb install ultra-small-launcher.apk

You get the error:

adb: failed to stat ultra-small-launcher.apk: No such file or directory

So download the physical APK file to your ADB folder first using. https://blakadder.com/assets/files/ultra-small-launcher.apk

I downloaded it to here: C:\Users\yourusername\Desktop\platform-tools_r34.0.4-windows\platform-tools\ultra-small-launcher.apk

Then type:

adb install C:\Users\yourusername\Desktop\platform-tools_r34.0.4-windows\platform-tools\ultra-small-launcher.apk

Using your own directory location offcourse.
When done it wil say something like “successful”.

You will be offered a selection of launchers, set Launcher as default.

Simulate a Home key press if you get stuck somewhere.

adb shell input keyevent 3

Reboot you should get in to the regular Android screen instead Sonoff eWelink.

From here you can follow the known websites again otherwise I’ll be repeating them:

Most help I got from these cool sites:

Also useful: when everything fails: Do the 5x power off procedure > Power on and when Sonof logo goes spinning, then pull the power plug. Do this 4 times and the 5th time let it boot in recovery mode.
This even reverted my Sonoff back from version 1.10 to version 1.4

The above procedure is done with version 1.4, later i re-upgraded the Sonoff app to 1.10 but not gonna use that anyway.

3 Likes

cannot connect to 10.1.2.28:5555: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it. (10061) This errors continue to appears

Could you verify that NSPanelPro which was open to the Developer Mode was updating to new 1.10 version of orignal Sonoff FW too automaticly? It will be great news. Thanks

Hi!
I’ve got the panel with FW 1.5.0. Leaved on overnight and no updates come up, and i’ve tought that there wasn’t any update and i’ve enabled the developer mode via ewlink app. Only after that, i found that there is out an 1.10.0 version.
I’ve seen a comment from @seaky (thanks for your work!) that if it’s used with custom apps, the fw update isn’t needed (post #85), and as i’m using the device only for the HA integration, i think that isn’t a big deal. In any case, on post #109 @miodraggolubovikj seem to have found a way to update it manually, using a tool that i can’t find.
So, by now, it’s still not reccomended to try to update it?
Thanks!

For those wo are following these guides and update the webview component.

I had layout issues with the latest versions of Android System WebView.
Using version 95.0.4638, i had no issue’s.

I’m using webview in fw 1.5.0 and the app warks very well. I’m very happy with the setup

This is my NSPanel Pro setup.
As i not wanted to put a 503 wall outlet, i’ve separated the psu from the panel, and mounted it remote.

I love it, and i’m adding a lot of nice things to show. For example the temperature of every single room can’t be shown from the Bosch TC100 thermostat (only via app), but i can see them via HA.
Are only few days that i’m in the Home Assistant world, but i can’t wait to add more and more sensors/devices/automations

nspanel pro comes with v1.3.x and updated to v1.11.0 after connecting to wifi.
ADB cannot be enebled in v1.11.0.
BUT after reboot 5 times, firmware is restored to v1.6.0 and both wireless&USB debug can be enabled in the phone app.
Then I installed homeassistant with blackadder’s procedure.

Hello,

is there someone able to provide 1.11.0 OTA update file? :slight_smile:

I’m also interested in this one !

I can’t thank you enough, I just got mine and I was so worried about the outdated videos. But your documentation seems as a whole, so I’ll try all of them at the weekend :slight_smile: Thank you!