NSPanel Pro - Custom android apps (working)

@ [miodraggolubovikj] Could you please provide more detais about the process to upgrage the NSPanel Pro when ADB is enabled in the Ewelink App :frowning:
I only understood that it was necessary to download the zip files «CoolKit_Sonoff_480P_20230411_1.7.0-ota (1).zip»

Thanks in advance for your help.

Finally found that it was necessary to :

• install the APK «nspanel-pro-roottools-1.0-release»
  • download the firmware
  • rename the file to system_update.zip
  • upload the file to the NS

The last firmware found is 1.7, is there any way to find the lastest version 2.1 ?

I fallowed blakadder tutorial but when I try to install xposed I get the fallowing error

Xposed Framework installer zip

• Mounting /system and /vendor read-write
  • Checking environment
    Xposed version: 90-beta3
    Android version: 8.1 / SDK27
    Platform: arm64
  • Placing files
    cp: xwrite: No space left on device

can anyone provide some help?

I bought some news NSPanel Pro. Somebody is able to help me to know how to build the update file “system_update.zip” from the new device ?
Thanks in advance.

I’ve hit this problem too. Looking at the disk there seems to be a lot of space on it, and I’ve tried to disable some apps but not having any luck yet

I’ve done a bit more playing with this, I was on software version 2.1 and did a factory reset back to 1.5 and it worked as desired.

When I did my first connection to the NSPanel to internet the update file was downloaded in the root folder. You need to copy that file to a computer and later do the update.

The sonoff will request to reboot when the download is done, that is the moment to extract the update.zip.

Later you can proceed with the update normaly.

I manage to factory reset(by switching on and off for 5 times) multiple times but every time I end up with same firmware 2.1. Is there anything else I can do to downgrade the firmware?

1 Like

I hit the same issue and was able to solve it.

1. I did a “5 x boot-to-animation” factory reset (do this 5 timer: power up until Sonoff logo animates, unplug and plug in again). Thanks to @alexmpp for mentioning that. I was given version 1.7 after my factory reset.
  2. After decompressing the xposed framework tar (the tar -xvf xposed-v90-sdk27-arm64-beta3.tar command) I deleted the xposed-v90-sdk27-arm64-beta3.tar from the touchscreen’s Download directory. I used the File Explorer app but you can do it from the command line.

After running the flash-script.sh install script I got the expected success message

Xposed Framework installer zip
- Mounting /system and /vendor read-write
- Checking environment
  Xposed version:  90-beta3
  Android version: 8.1 / SDK27
  Platform:        arm64
- Placing files
- Done

The first boot will take longer than
usual, please wait a few minutes.

Hi All!
This might be a stupid question.

I have updated webview, and installed companion app,
Everything works great.

I have one problem though - and that is the screen never goes to sleep.
i first thought it was the nspanelTools, but even though i disabled that - it still doesnt go to sleep.

under display settings advanced i have set it to 15 seconds.
i can “trigger” it by sending the power_off key via an ADB command
but i would really like for it to simply turn of the screen when it’s not in use.

please notice that i did remove some of the standard apps - so i dont now if that is part of the reason.

help is very much appreciated.
br Ronni

I am looking at getting one or two of these to use as HA dashboards for bedrooms where there is a fair amount to control per room.

The thread is fairly confusing, however am I right in thinking this method should still work with devices that are purchased today? Or have Sonoff now locked the device down so it’s not possible?

I got one a few days ago and have just finished the setup. I confirm that the steps in this guide are still valid. Here’s my experience:

1. Panel shipped with firmware 1.4.0 which did not allow for ADB as far as I’ve read.
  2. I’ve upgraded it to 2.2.0 (latest as of 20.11.23), enabled Developer Mode and ADB
  3. Proceeded with instructions from Update WebView on NSPanel Pro and Tuya Smart Home Panels | Blakadder's Smarthome Shenanigans (thanks Blakadder!)
  4. Encounter an issue with running the xposed script:
    cp: xwrite: No space left on device
  5. Performed the 5x restarts and got into recovery. This in turn gave me firmware version 1.4.0 yet again BUT with ADB enabled.
  6. Restarted with all commands from 3.

I think on newer firmware the update of webview is not really necessary any more?

do you have a step by step guide how to upgrade the firmware as I can connect to the unit via adb but then how do you upload the new firmware as I am stuck on 1.5 would like just to put it back to stock firmware

how do you upload the zip file ?

Since I seen a few questions about firmware updates after enabling developer mode, I thought I share, since I managed to do this successfully using seaky’s root tool today

Download and Install the Root Tool
https://github.com/seaky/nspanel_pro_roottool_apk/releases/tag/v1.0

adb install nspanel-pro-roottools-1.0-release.apk

Download the firmware, I found 1.7.0 here and upgraded from 1.5.6
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1bHLLJy8vYUjkCCnyUmrHgEFWi_2cxywv
(If anyone has a newer release, please post)

Make file system writable (not sure if this is necessary)

mount -o rw,remount /system

Copy the file onto the NSPanel Pro

adb push <path to file> /storage/emulated/0/system_update.zip

Open the root tool in the NSPanel Pro, click verify and install if the file is good.

This procedure worked for me, but of course no guarentees and to be done at own risk.

2 Likes

Sonoff firmware V2.2.0 (10-nov-2023) and V2.0.0 (12-sep-2023) added Zigbee router mode and Matter support:

• Support switching NSPanel Pro from Zigbee gateway mode to Zigbee router mode. Click ‘Device Settings–Pilot Features–Zigbee Mode’ in the APP to enable Zigbee router mode. After switching to a Zigbee router, you need to bind it with other gateways.
  • Supports as a Matter hub to add Matter-enabled devices to the eWeLink App. Currently supports switches and plugs.

@seaky does not recommend to upgrade firmware above 1.5.0 because Sonoff removed a tons of usefully binaries from system folder. However, with the new functionality introduced by Sonoff, I’m wondering if it would be possible to combine the best of both worlds (HA companion app + the zigbee router/matter functionality) OR is better to stay with version 1.5.0?

1 Like

Hello,

I Have a New NSPanel Pro and I update the firmware to 2.20 I cant connect to the panel adb wireless
( GitHub - j-a-n/lovelace-wallpanel: 🖼️ Wall panel mode and photo screensaver for your Home Assistant Dashboards)
and also have an issue with usb connection (i can see the device in the windows device manager)
but when i type the command “adb devices -l” i’m getting “List of devices attachd” with no other details.
" D:\adb>adb devices -l"
List of devices attached

Thank You,

Hello,

I Have a New NSPanel Pro and I update the firmware to 2.20 I cant connect to the panel adb wireless
D:\adb>adb connect 192.168.1.227

cannot connect to 192.168.1.227:5555: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it. (10061)

and also have an issue with usb connection (i can see the device in the windows device manager)
but when i type the command
“adb devices -l”
I’m getting the following:

List of devices attached

Thank You,