NUC CPU temperature concerns

I disabled secure boot yesterday and monitored CPU temp for a while, still getting peaks up over 86C and currently sitting on 76C while relatively idle other than MotionEye. Yet to work out a way to get MotionEye to not cause such a temperature rise…

A little update on this which seems to raise more questions than answers…

A couple of days ago I changed the folder location that the MotionEye addon was to save the video files, then changed it back to the original folder location, so in effect no net change. However this caused my NUC to start running at normal (~35C) CPU temperature…why? how?

Anyway I rebooted the NUC today and now it’s back to running at high temps again… something very strange with the way this addon affects the CPU temp

Did you ever solved this?

No. I ended up buying a stand alone NVR to record my CCTV cameras and stopped using MotionEye.

I have a NUC with the same problem. I have been looking for watercooling solutions but there are non. I only found this:

A custom made watercooling system. But the guys from the video do not respond to my emails. This is exactly what i need. With the setup in the video you could run the NUC on 100% cpu 24/7 i guess.

I think you will find the issue is not actually that the NUC getting getting hot but that it is reporting a high temp for some reason.

I have recently found the same issue with another add-on, QBittorrent, which sends the NUC CPU temp to 100C as soon as I start the add-on despite it just being idle… and I’m talking about an i7 NUC with 16GB RAM. The CPU usage % doesn’t go up, only the reported CPU temp. The problem is that reported temp then sets the fan to max speed etc.

My nuc i7 is around 30 to 70 degrees depending on the cpu load. With frigate running 5 cameras it’s around 20 to 30% cpu load. (Using Google coral for detection). I guess the temps are pretty accurate though

For me (why I started the thread) it was a case of a very low ~2% CPU load NUC suddenly getting reporting crazy hot when running certain add-ons despite the CPU load staying low.

Without those add-ons running (but still running a heap of others) it sits at about 1% CPU load and 38C CPU temp.

My water-cooling is finished i hope it will be shipped soon… I really need it. It’s getting hot here and the NUC touches 75 degrees with 7 camera’s connected to it ATM…

I’m running frigate with 2 cameras. I followed this article already and as a consequence of that, the idle cpu usage with the 2 cameras on is very low.

I highlighted the periods of time where frigate was enabled (red), and also when my system does the nightly backup (magenta).

Here I was suggested to take a look at my setup as the figures I provided back then felt concerning.

@sparkydave note that in this case a simple overnight backup skyrockets cpu temperature. I’m curious to know whether a backup activity makes your device to reach a high temperature as well. Could you confirm this?

I browsed the Internet a bit and came across this article. I went ahead and updated the device BIOS, as I had not done so in the past.

I don’t see any significant improvement:

I guess I need to contact Intel and create a support request with them…

Update: Read this article and decided to disassemble my NUC and clean it up. I watched this video and used it as guidance. There was lots and dust and tons of debris inside of it. I can confirm the effort paid off considerably.

I’m a happy camper now. Idle temperature is 38C instead of 52C with the exact same load.

I did a full clean out of mine in the early days when I first had the issue but it didn’t make any difference. I’ll have another look.