Nuc hassos image clarification

hi there…
since my setup has been deprecated ( see [On Hold] Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux), I need some help to mowe forward.
currently running ha on a Ubuntu 18 in a dell optiflex fx 160 thin client… 4 GB ram and ssd… it’s an atom CPU.
I’m using a dozen add-on, so I want to keel the supervisor approach.
then my question (finally): will the nuc image run on such an hw? how am I supposed to install it on a ssd disk? is it the same than a SD card?
TIA

1 Like

Here’s how I understand it works (and I may be wrong). The Intel NUC image contains HassOS preconfigured to work with the hardware found in an Intel NUC (x86 architecture). That means it has all the necessary drivers to communicate with the NUC’s hardware (USB, network, graphics, drives, etc).

Attempting to use this image on another x86-based machine, means HassOS might not contain drivers to communicate with the machine’s hardware. HassOS will simply fail to boot or some fundamental service won’t start.

I believe the workaround is to use a hypervisor like ESXi and install Home Assistant as a virtual machine image. I’m currently exploring this option.

well… a virtual machine on a atom CPU is not an option… and I don’t want something that waste 100 w in electricity 24 hours a day…

I agree. You and I and many others must now decide a migration path that can continue to use the hardware we own (or spend money to buy new, compatible hardware).

Personally, I don’t want to replace the hardware I have. Nor am I thrilled by the prospect of learning about hypervisors. For those reasons, I am considering to go with what I already know and that’s Home Assistant Core as a Docker container. It means foregoing the convenience of Add-Ons and snapshots but at least I don’t need to upgrade hardware or run a hypervisor.

4 Likes

Why not just wait a bit and see if the community provides a path forward? There’s no reason to jump ship yet…

1 Like

Unless it’s a solution blessed by Paulus, it will be considered a non-standard variant of Home Assistant. Therefore when you log an issue in the Home Assistant repo and mention your “community-supported” installation, it makes it all too easy to have the issue unceremoniously closed on the grounds your installation is not officially supported.

That’s not mere speculation. I recently reported an issue with Home Assistant Supervised running on Ubuntu and was informed to use Core. The deprecation had not yet been announced but it was only days away so the issue was promptly closed.

3 Likes

It’s highly unlikely your NUC will draw 100W 24/7. I have a Xeon based home server/NAS that doesn’t manage that. Modern systems are power efficient, and while the max draw may be 100W, it’s pretty rare for any system to run at 100% all the time.

let me clarify: I already have my hw… I don’t want to buy other one… I don’t want to be forced to change hw… my setup is in and running, it’s stable, I’m a good Linux user since 15 years and I want to have control over what’s running.
otherwise I’d choose a closed product

You can stay with supervised as soon as it will break, there is no need to switch NOW.
And probably supervised will continue to work for a long time, just check supervised commits this months…mainly readme updates…
If you want switch anyway, there are 2 ways:

1. install an hypervisor and install hassOS as a VM and a VM for all other. You will waste resources to run an hypervsor, resources to have at least 2 VMs, but you’ll continue to have addons ability in HA environment
  2. install docker version of HA, and all addons you had as separate containers plus reconfigure them. You will lose all sidebar connections to access them “directly” but you don’t need to install an hypervisor.
    If HA will have the ability to “integrate” container addons like supervised do, option 2 will be the best, but as of now it feels to be left on the street than a real solution…
1 Like

I’m in the same boat as you been running on a acer revo net top with a atom d525 , 4 gb ram and Ubuntu server when this announcement came out looked at alternatives, Going back to a pi is not an option but found that proxmox will run on an atom but this is from a post from 4 years ago and as the atom doesn’t have VTx support only openvz so from what I’ve read that means you can only run Linux in the VM environment
I’m going to see what happens first but it is a fall back if something stops working

1 Like

Learn how to run home assistant in a docker container.

A person familiar with Linux and who wants control over their system will learn to love the advantages.

I was hesitant to learn containers because I’m old school and what could possibly be worth learning that wasn’t around in 1999?

This is the future, and the present. My unprofessional advice would be to learn it, or you’ll me missing out and posting a lot of complaint threads when everyone else is spinning up cool software.

Edit: my 7 year old i5 is running about 40 containers, everything from home assistant to DNS, smb, to email hosting and a Unify controller. Your way is the less efficient one.

1 Like

well… I work in IT and when I come home at night I don’t want to spend hours to make my domotic work… I already did it… I like the flawlessy update process, the addons stuff… and now all my domotic rely on them… I must trust my system, 'cause I’m delegating it some control… I live alone, domotic is a plus…
started from raspy, 2 SD gone… searched for the right hw to run in my living room… totally silent, low consumtion… my automations rely on addons I choosed, tested and adopted…
now, this pc can’t run proxmox nor hassos… so, I have 2 possibilities: back to raspy (too slow and unreliable) or spend a good amount of money to buy something I don’t need…

Your post got me wondering, so I connected my circa-2013 i5 NUC to an energy monitor to see what the results would be; a draw of roughly 8 watts.

I get that you don’t want to invest in additional hardware. However, as with all my other hobbies there is some form of ongoing investment of time and/or money. Not reasonable to believe that HA is anything other than that.

1 Like

It’s funny how “I work in IT” is thrown around like it’s supposed to mean something?

All I can say is I feel sorry for the devs here. You want powerful free software to be supported the way you want it, without putting any work in or learning a new and better way to do things.

I never said proxmox or any other VM. That isn’t what docker is. Again, stop pretending “I work in IT” is important and learn. You’ll have way more control using docker.

3 Likes

What it means for many people is this:
They spend all day dealing with software that ranges from free to really expensive. It’s badly documented, if at all. It probably doesn’t work as advertised or promised.

Then, when they get home, they find someone else is saying they should be happy to ditch everything on their server, choose a suitable virtualization system, reinstall all the other OS and systems they were using, including all the Docker stuff. Finally, they discover the system can’t actually restore its config from the backups they had been keeping. But nevermind, it’s free software so keep quiet.

Just an example.

[edit: I freely admit this is a bit grumpy]

3 Likes

This is very well said, with the possible exception of the last statement.

The presence of this community suggests that there is no expectation that we keep quiet. Many object to many things, but it’s not always a strict democracy here. It is a form of democracy where those who are willing and able to commit their time and energy to execute improvement carry far more weight than those who are not. To be clear, I am in the latter category. And so, occasionally, things happen that frustrate me and cause me to spend a lot of time solving problems that did not exist a moment previous, due to no fault of my own.

I continue to do this, however, because I could never have created a system like this on my own and the numerous commercial systems that I participated in prior to this were not even nearly as good and were far more frustrating. I suspect that many who are here have the same experience.

So, occasionally, when these issues occur, I must assume that those who have dedicated their time to the system have given the path due consideration and that this is a choice that makes the most sense. These choices are not always well or clearly communicated, certainly, but that is part of the system we have chosen to participate in. I would maintain that this is a hobby that people should choose to participate in. For those who demand perfection with an SLA, it is simply not reasonable to expect that this is a good match.

To avoid hijacking the thread, I would say the minimal investment in an old NUC to benefit from the installer, addons, etc, would be one possible choice and one which is not unreasonable from any perspective. When I moved from a Pi4 to the NUC, the upgrade path was shockingly smooth.

I found it is actually easier to just run HA in a virtual python environment. It looks like this will continue to be supported, for now. I have access to everything I need without having to add more docker containers and it is very easy to backup my system. This setup, at least for me, is a lot more stable than docker. I run not only HA and Snips, but OwnCloud, OpenVPN, MiniDLNA, and a few other programs on my RPI 3 and have never had any issues, including any latency issues. I think I am able to pull this off because I do not run my RPI from the sd card but from an external USB drive. I do boot from the sd card, though, and use the sd card to back up my system using a cron job.