Nuke virtual environment instalt'n & restart

So I installed Hass this go-around in the vitualenv…and now I can’t login as the homeassistant user the instructions directed me to create. (It has been a awhile since I’ve had a chance to play with my setup) I have no clue what the PW is - I don’t recall even setting one. I guess this is more of a Linux question:
1.Where can I access this user account and reset this password? (Standard vanilla ubuntu16.04 desktop os)?
2. Failing that, how to remove the homeassistant user, completely uninstall hass, get rid of vitualenv and reinstall in the main basic user account? (ie. Me?)

to enter the virtualenv

sudo su -s /bin/bash homeassistant

Yes, that part is listed in the install docs.
What I need to know is how to REMOVE this entire installation (virtual environment, homeassistant user & it’s home directory, Hass install…everything). I would like to reinstall it under my regular user account so I don’t have to fight with user permissions everytime I want to edit my config.

There is no need to remove the homeassistant user, you can just ignore it. Just use the install instructions to create the virtual environment as the user you would like to use, rather than homeassistant. Then change the startup scripts to use the new environment.

Using a standard user does have security implications, but these are not significant provided you do not expose you HA to the internet.

All the virtual environment files are in the directory it creates, so deleting it is simply moving or deleting that directory e.g.

sudo mv /srv/homeassistant /srv/ha_old

Using the standard Ubuntu desktop tools to update users is the easiest way to remove a user if you really need to.

1 Like

So just wipe the directory, ignore the user I created for it, reinstall as standard user? (I have no immediate plans to open ports for this to get beyond my router. Local control only. I have tired of tearing my hair out negotiating the permission to change my config file.)
Alright. That saves a great deal of swearing at my box.

Thank you.

Just for anyone that may look at this post later in search of an answer.

to avoid permissoin problems.

the user is homeassistant
Change to homeassistant user:
Change to virtual enviroment:
source /srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv/bin/activate

enter the two commands one after the other

No such file or directory.

I have managed to get myself to the directory via command line, open up the configuration file and alter it with nano, with the correct permissions.
Nano is not really what I want to use to make configuration tweeks. And the basic ubuntu gui text editor refuses to save any changes because of permission issues.

Anyway to get a desktop text editor to open the configuration.yaml file with the correct permissions to edit it?

to edit a file using the gui editor - from a terminal:
sudo gedit filename

if the file did not exist - it will now be owned by root, so assuming your user is homeassistant:
sudo chown filename homeassistant:homeassistant

I will give that a try. Thank you.