Nuki Smart Lock and Matter (or mqtt)

I checked into this and this only seems the case (paying) if you want matter control via the Nuki app. Not if itr’s controlled via a 3e party.

Anyway; ordered a Sonoff dongle and will see how far I will get with the non pro version. Alternatively I will get myself the pro version and connect via wifi/mqtt.

Will report back

Hey everyone,

today I got my Sonoff Dongle E and flashed it with the Silicon labs multiprotocol firmware. Everything on the Z2M side works flawless, however I can’t seem to get thread running. I do have the thread, otbr and matter integrations installed, the thread network seems to be configured, at least I can see the network, however when I want to pair my Nuki 4 Pro with HA over Matter, it says I have to have a thread border router, which seems off to me, because mine is enabled. Am I missing something here?

I’m in the exact same situation as you.
I’ve tried everything and I don’t understand how to fix it.

@kevincaradant I read your post here and I tried following the guide but it didn’t work for me. I just got a generic “Commission with code failed for node 1” error.
One thing I’ve read online, don’t know how accurate it is, is that some devices require the matter server to have bluetooth, does your have bluetooth?

Did you have installed the thread addon into HA ?

It should work if you did it.

Indeed I have also Bluetooth enabled on my server. I think it’s required.

If you have Bluetooth, and still have the issue of code error 1 when you try to add the device.

Just look the logs of the matter server and OTBR instance.

Maybe you can see the issue in logs during the pairing.

Dont hesitate to try 2 or 3 times to see if you still have the same error code 1.

Thank you for confirming, today I should receive a bluetooth adaptor and hopefully tonight I should be able to commision the Nuki.
Just a question, does the Matter integration ask for the PIN when unlocking the door?
Curently I’m using the MQTT integration and it doesn’t and it’s not ideal. If HA has some kind of security hole someone a PIN would be another layer of security.

I agree - I am pretty happy with mqtt.
Sometimes the lock disconnects from mqtt (in the Nuki App it’s still connected to wifi), but with an Update Entity it can be revived.

EDIT
I need to correct my previous comment.
Update Entity does not re-establish the mqtt connection.
:frowning:

Anyway, did you also experience, that the Battery was not showing charging when connected via USB?
The Nuki App correctly reports charging, but HA on mqtt does not get the signal although the Battery level is increasing.
Thank you.

I have not charged yet or looked at the entities while charging. Also I’m now experimenting to see if I can get Matter stable, so I disabled MQTT for a while while I’m experimenting.

Thanks to your help I was able to pair to Matter on HA and for now it’s working flawlessly, thank you.

Sadly there’s no PIN required to unlock the door, I have asked on the Nuki Developer Community, let’s see what they say about it.

@Edwin_D don’t know if you had already seen this guide from Nuki on how to enable remote management on Matter.

1 Like

Did you have to pay the extra 49€ cost for enabling Matter remote access, or does it work locally without it?

EDIT: Tried this myself and everything works fine.

1 Like

Nuki has updated matter to 1.2, now unlock without unlatch is available.

1 Like

Sorry for the dumb question… I’ve got my Nuki 4 Pro connected to HA via matter now. I’m on Nuki FW 4.1.8 - newest one.
In HA I’m just getting two entities - the lock control and the battery level. In the lock control element, I just can lock and unlock the lock with an up/down slider. I can’t see any way to separate between unlocking and unlatching the lock…
The slider should have three states to achive this kind of separation. Is there a trick to it?

You need to update to the latest beta of the Nuki and then reload the Matter integration on HA.
For the moment I would advise against updating tho because the latest release is having some stability issues as you can see from here Smart Lock (4th generation) Firmware Beta 4.2.x - #41 by DDP - Nuki Smart Lock Beta - Nuki Developers

Thanks a lot for the clarification. I’ll wait for the official release of 4.2.x for now!

Yes, remote access is not activated.

I just realized, I’m also able to use MQTT! No Nuki Pro or Nuki Bridge or Remote Access… just the normal Nuki with Matter/Thread support (conncted to my Homepod with Matter).
Configured in the Nuki App under Configuration > Smart Home > MQTT. It also provides HA auto discovery.

or with MQTT explorer

1 Like

Has “Dashboard” not been translated to German, or is it a loan word?

You mean „Zum Dashboard hinzufügen“? It‘s a loan word. There is no nice translation for „dashboard“ :wink:

1 Like

Is matter working properly with latest beta fw?

In my case open/close actions are not working anymore.

And mqtt integration is now very slooow.

Battery is also draining much faster…

Do not know what happened with this last fw, 4.2.3 was working perfect for me.

Sorry for another stupid question - if you’re using MQQT, will the connection be established via Thread or Wifi?

Fixed, after removing a thread plug router placed in the middle it is working properly again, very weird.