NUT no longer working (Permissions)

I had my UPS working great on HA with NUT but it stoped working and dont know which update broke it.
when i try to start it I get this:

[23:43:49] INFO: Starting the UPS drivers...
Network UPS Tools - Megatec/Q1 protocol USB driver 0.14 (2.8.0)
libusb1: Could not open any HID devices: insufficient permissions on everything
No supported devices found. Please check your device availability with 'lsusb'
and make sure you have an up-to-date version of NUT. If this does not help,
try running the driver with at least 'subdriver', 'vendorid' and 'productid'
options specified. Please refer to the man page for details about these options
(man 8 blazer_usb).

Driver failed to start (exit status=1)
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.8.0
cont-init: info: /etc/cont-init.d/nut.sh exited 1
1 Like

My NUT is still working without issue.

Same issue here, specifically after updating to HA Core to 2024.1.6, did you manage to resolve?

Check the runtime directory for nut. Is it owned by user/group nut? Look for /run/nut

ls -l /run

If the directory is not owned by nut:nut, execute:

sudo chown -R nut:nut /run/nut

In case there are leftover pid-files inside nut’s rundir (and nut is not running) remove those:

sudo rm -f /run/nut/*

Now start nut again. Does it work now?

Happy hunting.

Same problem, doesn´t work for me.

The result of ls -l /run was:

The Home Assistant is running on a Raspberry PI 4

@Tamsy thanks for tips however I got that I don’t have a nut user on the system.
So I did some extra reasearch on the web and I found someone with the same problem in github.

And here’s the solution… be ready guys: You only have to complety shutdown the host. I mean turn off the computor that’s running HA. Turn it on again and it’s working. :sweat_smile: :joy:

Go to settings, system, power button on the top right, advance option, shutdown server.

That’s it

Mine remains the same, it doesn’t work at all.

I finally managed to get it to work, but not on the home assistant OS, I followed the steps in the video below and installed the supervised home assistant inside the Raspberry OS. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfYmrrGgzEM

…which most probably greets you with an “Unheathy” and “Unsupported” HA installation.

Settings → System → Repairs → 3 dots upper right → Information about System → Home Assistant Supervisor

same problem here. Shutdown didn’t help…

I’m trying to set-up NUT with HA running in a VM on Synology NAS with a Fortron (FPS) UPS connected. The UPS is visible to the NAS.

Whatever config I try, NUT can’t detect the UPS. I already tried every suggestion mentioned above:

• changed default driver from usbhid_ups to blazer_usb and nutdrv_qx
  • tried with and without vendorid and productid
  • did a complete restart of HA

I noticed a difference in the reported errors depending on what driver I use. Using usbhid_ups results in:

USB communication driver (libusb 1.0) 0.43
libusb1: Could not open any HID devices: insufficient permissions on everything
No matching HID UPS found

Using nutdrv_qx results: in:

Can't claim USB device [0665:5161]@0/0: Other error
Network UPS Tools - Generic Q* USB/Serial driver 0.32 (2.8.0)
USB communication driver (libusb 1.0) 0.43

Does anybody have experience with a similar set-up and could eventually help me out here?

In my case, this error was being thrown because the cable I have is a bit spotty. The RJ45 end needs to be wiggled a bit to get proper contact.

Check your cables!

I’m also getting the same error:

“libusb1: Could not open any HID devices: insufficient permissions on everything”.

This happened right after migrating my setup so I assume it must have something to do with the new platform.

Previously, I had HA OS running as a VM on an x86 laptop. NUT had been working perfectly for the past year or so since I installed it.

I recently bought a “HOME ASSISTANT GREEN” and migrated my setup to this new platform. At that point NUT stopped working. I tried connecting the UPS to APC’s utility on my windows laptop and all seems to be working fine (so I can confirm it’s not a UPS/cable related issue).