Nvidia Shield Automation

Hi, I was trying to get my Nvidia Shield to turn off when my Samsung TV is switched off i.e. my wife not turning off my Shield when she turns the TV off. My automation yaml is as below but when I switch the TV off and it goes into Off state, nothing happens with the Shield? I’m running ADB bridge and the TV is connected via wifi dongle, both showing as media players? If I trigger the automation the shield turns off though.

id: '1569098906228'
  alias: Nvidia Shield
  trigger:
  - entity_id: media_player.samsung_tv_remote
    platform: state
    to: 'Off'
  condition: []
  action:
  - data:
      entity_id: media_player.shield_2
    service: media_player.turn_off"

Thanks in advance for any help!

1 Like

Please post your code properly.

Apologies, edited as above.

If anyone is able to point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated. Was wondering whether to dust off my harmony hub but seems odd that HA is detecting changes in both so assume it’s more likely to be an issue with me not configuring the automation correctly?

states are always lowercase so update your triggers 'on' and 'off', also remove the quotation at the end of the service name media_player.turn_off

Try using Android TV and ADB bridge if you do not want to use harmony.

So instead of sending a media_player command you would send an androidtv.adb_command. See below.

The code below may not be correct but I think you can figure it out.

- data:
      entity_id: media_player.shield_2
      service: androidtv.adb_command
      command: 'SLEEP'

Thanks so much for this, was able to get working based on your code. I added an action to return to the Home screen then Sleep so that when the Shield is turned back on, it is already at the Home screen.

Thanks for the reply, I was able to get it working by switching the states to lowercase as you suggested.

Cool. You can also use Android TV to detect your apps on the Shield. I have mine set up so that when Plex launches, it first announces that Plex has launched (on my google home hub) using TTS. It then will cast a custom lovelace view with Plex information of what is currently playing and also plex specific media controls. This uses the new home assistant cast component.

With the latest release of HA, the app detection is spotty for Android TV, but I recently read that a fix is coming in the next couple of releases.

Sounds awesome, will have to give this a go!

I’m connecting Shield TV 2015 version with an LG TV bought same year. Whenever I turn off LG TV, the Shield is off automatically too, even without any interaction through HA or hub. I guess it is because of HDMI CEC settings on both devices.

not quite sure what project your sharing??

1 Like