OCPP Server Plugin for linking electric car chargers!

Charging and battery information is provided by car APIs. For my Jaguar and Renault this works very well in Home Assistant.

I have a EVBox ELVI supporting OCPP 1.6. I installed the test version of the custom component and it is up and running. Problem now… How do I get a communication up and running between the OCPP server listening on port 9000 and the wallbox… No clue yet. Adding ws://192.168.181.42:9000/ as manual controlling service seems to be not enough here.

Useful would be a list of the measurands supported AND what they are doing. Anyone found such list?

BTW: Home Assistant is compaining that the version tag in the manifest.json is missing and the author has to be contacted regarding that as it will be unsupported in future. I added it by hand and HA seems to be happy with a “version”: “1” at the end.

Btw, checking the issues over at OrangeTux’ project site I found this one:
https://github.com/lbbrhzn/ocpp (Can be found in https://github.com/mobilityhouse/ocpp/issues/100)

A more recent version of a HACS compatible repo for the addin. Works sort of over here, but I made two reports already. He is asking for help, so maybe someone is interested to give him that help.

Does anyone know if it will be possible to have f.e. an Afen Eve Single Proline connected to a Backoffice so it can invoice my employer and get updates from the backoffice but also connected to Homeassistant?
So I can set the max current based on a P1 meter like the Alfen will do with it’s Active loadbalancing feature which is a seperate license?

Or is Homeassistant the new “backoffice” then and it can only connect to one.

1 Like

Hey, did OCPP node work for you? and what kind of data you can get from your Charge Point?

I never used it myself. I get power consumption out of the charge point, but for that I built and installed a “modbus sniffer” which listens in on the readings coming from the internal power meter of my charger. It then sends this over mqtt to HA.

I don’t have any control over the charge-point however.

I see thanks for the info, it would be nice if someone could build an integration for it.

There is a HACS based integration for OCPP already, see GitHub - lbbrhzn/ocpp: Home Assistant integration for electric vehicle chargers that support the Open.

It is now part of the HACS default repository list, so installation is relatively painless.
Also, it uses a ConfigFlow so it does not require any changes to configuration.yaml.

2 Likes

Hey @bobf41,

as far as I can see in the configuration options of the Alfen there is only a single backoffice connection that can be active at the same time. So it will be either the backoffice of your employer or home assistant.

To work around that: I am interfacing to my Alfen charge point via modbus over TCP/IP. It allows me to read all sensors in the chargepoint. I am still working on writing the max current, so that is not working yet.

Best regards,
Hollie

Ah Nice, Max current is not needed for me. I have the loadbalance license for the P1 port so that is working by the Alfen Eve itself.

Is there anything you can share already to connect HA to the Alfen Eve?

Hey @bobf41

as soon as I have the max current setting up and running I’ll make a post with the details in a separate topic, as this is not OCPP related and I don’t want to hijack this thread.

The P1 port license you already have is required for this as this is the same license that is required to be able to activate the modbus interface. I am quite sure that you will need the max current setting if you want to use modbus. In the chargepoint config you can either select P1 load balancing or modbus load balancing but not both at the same time.

Regards,
Hollie

3 Likes

I’m interested in this as well. I was thinking to measure the Alfen power using a clamp instead, but if this can be achieved using a modbus, that would be even better :slight_smile:

Hello @denham

I will document my setup once it is running as expected. I have it working in prototype and am testing out dynamic charge current setting to enable maximum usage of locally generated electricity.

Expect something in the next week.

Kind regards,
Lieven

I have documented my setup here.

Best regards,
Lieven

2 Likes

for folks looking to buy a new EV charger… I’m wondering is there any list that shows what EV chargers have integrations with home assistant (particularly with local control)? My research led me to OCPP and this post/plugin… but reading here it doesn’t look like just buying an EV charger that is OCPP compliant will mean it will work in home-assistant or this plugin. Does anyone have this plugin working with an OCPP charger? Any suggestions on finding an EV charger with local control?

I’m tinkering with Wallbox Pulsar Pus and that has numerous ways of remote control. And I have all three running, but I have not started to use any Automations etc with them.

1. Wallbox own app. Available locally and via cloud solution from Wallbox
  2. Integration through the “Walbox” plugin
  3. Integration through the “OCPP” plugin

Does it support 1p3p?

I’d love to see some experiences with #2 and #3 and how they are used in HA locally. If anyone has any links or videos please share!

1 Like

I’ve had this work very well with a pulsar plus this winter. I use Ocpp to dynamically adjust maximum current delivered to not go beyond my main breaker capacity

The latency is around 1-3 seconds
I haven’t had any reliability issues

I am using your integration with ABB TAC-W22-T-R-0.
There are two sensors that report the energy used in current charging session (in KWh), tacw22 is the name I used for charger.
sensor.tacw22_energy_active_import_register
sensor.tacw22_energy_session
The first one gives some weird large value now and then (733501 KWh).
The second one seems to be OK.
Do you know why there are two sensors with similar data and why the first one gives these large wrong values?
Also, it seems the Amp control (through number.tacw22_maximum_current) does not work as expected when charging. It works OK if I change it when not charging.
Hoiw can I keep track of monthly and all time KWh used for charging the car? And can I somehow log all charging sessions?
Thank you