Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

I know this is a HA forum, but its worth checking out this app which will work with OCPP compliant EV chargers. May do a better job, and / or be simpler than we can using HA automations to ensure only excess solar is being used to charge your EV.

Believe it or not, Tesla’s wall charger is not OCPP compliant, but the Charge HQ guys use the Tesla API to effectively achieve the same outcome if you do have Tesla’s charger.

Have we got a list of those anywhere? I was thinking EMONEVSE via a 3 phase wall outlet if I ever got anything but something that can brought locally that works with HA and can adjust charge rate and turn on and off is all I need. All other inputs are in HA and I am happy to do the automations there.

Thanks! Needs a HA integration row though :grin:

OCPP == HA compatible as there is a HACS OCPP integration

Reading through here there are conflicting reports as to whether this is true (OCPP == HA compatible)? Can anyone clarify? OCPP Server Plugin for linking electric car chargers! - #41 by malakudi

I believe this is via the Tesla car itself and not the charger though.

Correct. There’s a functional difference.

With an OCPP charge station the control is via the wall charger no matter what vehicle it is plugged in to.

With Tesla the control is limited to the car only.

and also, the Tesla API can only change the charge power in steps of 750W. Most OCPP can do finer steps than this. So OCPP will do a better job of using every bit of excess solar.

1 Like

Well, It finally happened by Brilliant Plug failed, It started turning itself off and then losing connection. Also, it was super-hot when I removed it.

Like Tom’ it spammed my network for a bit. Into the e-waste trash. It certainly lasted longer than the Kogan,

My use of the Tesla API does 230W steps on single phase (1 Amp x 230 Volt).

On three phase I get 690W steps (3 Amp x 230 Volt).

3 Likes

16A Tuya WiFi/Zigbee Smart AU Socket Plug Voice Control for Alexa Google Home | eBay - avoid these plugs, as of the edit of this reply they are non certified for use in australia, its the TS011F line spammed out on many pages on online stores, use at own risk.

1 Like

Is it certified for use in Australia?

I am not sure, we’d need to do more to look up data on it as the other options I was looking at was the hue plug and the aeotec plug; former was around $65 for a single one and the other was out of stock in many places.

This is the box it came in:

edit: attached images of the box it came in for reference data.

Look at the title of the topic you posted in.

It’s why I grabbed it to test it out and see if I can dig up more data as I see how it does in long term usage and wanted to pull more info together on these that are out there.

edit: looks like TS011F is not a specific model number for this plug it seems to be a line of products like the plug and wall socket they have, gonna dig around more see what I find. - I have sent an email to EESS to inquire about this line of plugs to see what they say about them and will update to let you know if they are to be avoided until they meet requirements as I test long term usage of the single unit I have now.

That’s a single phase vs 3-phase thing, not a Tesla vs OCPP thing.

OCPP 3-phase charge stations also increment/decrement in ~700 W steps, while Teslas connected to a single phase charge station will increment/decrements in ~230 W steps.

2 Likes

I’d say with high confidence that this is NOT certified for Aus.

Hey Everyone just having a look at the new Dakin AC Controller. I think I have figured out something a bit sneaky. The Zigbee Controller is a coordinator - Thus cannot be added to a network so no local control…which sucks

I got a confirm back from EESS about this one I am retracting the rest of the original post other than a statement of avoidance for those looking into them.

I will see what other zigbee based plugs are out there to see what ones are certified as I get them.