Octoprint Integration

Good Morning Automators!
I was thinking about generating an octoprint (3d printing software that monitors temperatures, print status, print cost etc for any 3d printer you have) api interface thingy that allowed me to monitor various conditions about my 3d printer. While I am sure I could use the octoprint API to send and receive REST commands for temperatures or status or even monitor my (future planned) web cam (for visual monitoring of print status) I really want to know if there is a way to develop a drag-and-drop or browse-and-select file system so that I may select a file and start a 3d print while Im away from HASS.

Later this should also work for notifications when my prints are finished, or fail and need attention.
Just a thought on a REALLY niche development opportunity

1 Like

Isn’t this what you’re looking for?

It doesn’t do the drag/drop thing you mentioned but it 100% does everything else.

Mine is paired with an old Android phone using Android IP camera which allows me to control the light on the camera. I have a strip of 12v LED lights hooked into my printers power supply and I control the power supply with a relay hooked to my rasPi. This setup allows me to start a print job via the OctoPrint UI, monitor it via HASS, and get a notification when it completes. That sounds like what you’re looking for.

Well Ill be damned, I looked for a hot minute to find if it was supported but couldnt find it!

I don’t think it’s listed in the “catalog” correctly. When I went to look for it, I didn’t find it either. Fortunately, the search function finds it.

so you have to load your files and start the print from a separate UI than HASS? It’d be neat (and probably doable) to integrate all that to HASS; where we could browse for a STL, slice, and start a print all within a single UI.

Slicing is where it gets tricky. Even OctoPrint isn’t real good at it. OctoPrint has a CURA plugin that is supposed to provide that functionality but it only works with profiles generated by an older build of CURA.

You could probably add functionality to drag and drop gcode files from HASS. At least now you have a starting point. You could just add the functionality to the existing component via pull request. It’d be a nice-to-have. It’d really be nice if you manage to figure out how to manage the slicing as well.

For reference, this is what the component puts out in my configuration:

1 Like

Ah thanks for that! Im actually not at home at the moment to add that component (deployed to a hot sandy place) and that picture helps, but I’ll look into what it might take to add those features to that component while Im here.

1 Like

No problem! If you have any questions about configuration, I’d be happy to share what I have and what I’ve learned so far.

As a fellow Texan and American, your service is appreciated. – Uno Ab Alto

1 Like

wow that looks awesome @clintgeek !

I’m fresh to hassio and i was wondering if you could share your config settings? and perhaps how you managed to group things so nicely?

Also is this viewing the camera plugged into you octopi somehow?

Thanks!

edit:
scrap that! figured it all out i think - home assistant rocks!

1 Like

Hi there guys. I am struggling with the stream url. I am using a usb camera plugged into pi with hassio/octoprint. I tried these for stream settings below but not working.

1. http://192.168.0.160/webcam/?action=stream/
  2. /webcam/?action=stream/
  3. http://192.168.0.160:5500/webcam/?action=stream/
    using port 5500 for octoprint and local ip for hassio is 192.168.0.160
    thank you in advance.

Right Clic on the webcam feed in octoprint and Copy image address you should have something like this
http://172.16.80.36/webcam/?action=stream&1526915057607

in the configuration add a camera like this:

camera:

Did anyone find a way to send service requests to octoprint via Home Assistant?
I’m new to 3d printing, but I’ve already had powercuts mid-print. Set up a UPS, but its 1400VA are not enough for more than a few minutes of actual printing…
The idea would be to set an automation so that after the grid has been off for more than a couple minutes, octoprint pauses the print. Then the print can be resumed once power has been resumed and stable for say 15 minutes in a row… Similar to Power Panic feature on a PRUSA Mk3 without spending 999USD!
I’m wondering whether this can be achieved and whether I should place a feature request. Any help is appreciated!

Hi I’ve been trying to set up my Octoprint but can’t seem to get my config file correct. I’am trying to get it to look like yours. Could you possibly share how you have it set up in your configuration file? thank you