Odometer as speed curve

I would like to display the odometer of my car as a curve. Now, of course, it is extremely boring to see a value that increases from 10,000 to 10,050 when I have driven 50 km. What makes more sense is a curve that shows how far or fast I drove and when. So if I drive for an hour on the highway at 130 km/h, the line must be at 130 km/h, when I then drive through the city at 50 km/h and when I park at 0. Not at one-hour intervals, of course, but at finer intervals, e.g. 5 minutes.
This is of course interesting for all incremental sensors, such as received internet data, natural gas or water consumption.

I can’t imagine that nobody has thought of this yet, but I haven’t found any good information on it.
With utility meters I always had the phenomenon that the curves fall to 0 at regular intervals and then rise again, forming a kind of sawtooth.

I would like to display the odometer of my car as a curve. Now, of course, it is extremely boring to see a value that increases from 10,000 to 10,050 when I have driven 50 km. What makes more sense is a curve that shows how fast I drove and when. So if I drive for an hour on the highway at 130 km/h, the line must be at 130 km/h, when I then drive through the city at 50 km/h and when I park at 0. Not at one-hour intervals, of course, but at finer intervals, e.g. 5 minutes.
Of course, this is interesting for all incremental sensors, such as received Internet data or natural gas and water consumption.

I can’t imagine that nobody has thought of this yet, but I haven’t found any good information on it.
With utility meters I always had the phenomenon that the curves fall to 0 at regular intervals and then rise again, forming a kind of sawtooth.

Has anyone ever managed to get this right?

Those are two different things.

What you’re describing is the derivative sensor helper. But you’re also just describing speed. I take it that’s not available for your vehicle?

1 Like

I know, that’s why I mentioned both. :wink: The graph could show the distance the car drove in the interval (e.g. 5 min.) (how far) or (better) it could show the scaled value of speed (e.g. 130 km/h), which would be the average of speed in the interval (how fast).

No, cars only transmit the entire distance traveled (odometer). Just like a water meter, for example.

That’s what the derivative would calculate.

Thanks for the derivative hint, but it doesn’t work as expected. Even if the odometer doesn’t change over night, the derivative shows a speed of 25 km/h. I expected derivate to calculate the difference to the odometer value from 5 minutes ago.

- platform: derivative
    source: sensor.car_odometer
    name: Speed
    round: 0
    unit_time: h
    time_window: "00:05:00"