ODROID N2+ (Home Assistant Blue) - allow USB (SSD) boot

Hi,

just got an N2+, since it’s seemingly a preferred and recommended platform by the developrs here. I also got an Samsung EVO 870 250 GB SSD and an USB 3.0 enclosure as a system/data drive.

I read beforehand that the ODROID N2+ uses Petitboot as a bootloader, which also allows booting from USB, along with network, eMMC and SD cards.

So naturally, I figured booting the Home Assistant OS off it would work - it doesn’t, and some more research shows that others have that prolem as well. I did not yet deep-dive into the root cause, but others have suggested that Home Assistant OS has its own way of doing things and there might be some work needed on the side of the Home Assistant developers, the Petitboot developers, or both.

As the N2+ is a popular plattform to run Home Assistant and booting off an external SSD seems a good option for both performance and stability reasons, I would kindly like to ask the developers to look into this and maybe work with the Petitboot developers over at git.ozlabs.org Git - petitboot/summary

Thanks!

Remember to vote for your own request.

Any updates?

I also own an N2+ with supervised installation.

Are there any plans for USB boot?