Official Honeywell evohome/Round Thermostat integration (EU-only)

I think I have the answer for you.

When you says the first part, do you mean the target temp, but not the duration. If so, what happens when you switch the system back to Auto from Away?

Also test with a temp of 15 instead of 12.

What is happening is that in Away mode, it will use the lower of the setpoint, and 12C. That is, Away mode sets an upper limit for the current setpoint to 12C (to be clear, this is what the controller is doing, not what HA is doing).

Again, the duration of the TemporaryOverride is ignored, until the system returns to Auto mode.

Hello,

I’m traying to make an automation based on the actual temperature the Honeywell is measuring. I like to do this with the identity climate. The entity climate in has an attribute actual temperature but if I ask the actual temperature as a trigger it is not working. In the home assistant app I see setpoint temperature and actual temperature but can’t use the actual temperature as a trigger.

Any idea how I can use the actual temperature the Honeywell is reading?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Wilfried

You will have to use the attribute current_temperature from your climate entity in your trigger. Look at the example and explanation here. You could take this as a simpler starting point and look at their examples for more complex variations:

automation:
  trigger:
    platform: numeric_state
    entity_id: climate.dining_room
    above: 17
    attribute: current_temperature

Dear scstraus,

Thanks for reply.

I do use the numeric state and when i use it as in your example it is ok and working.

It looks like:

entity_id: climate.overloop
above: '18.6'

Thanks.

Instead of fix number to program in automation i like to use a helper so i can change number . For that i have:`

entity_id: climate.overloop

above: {input_number.temperatuur_overloop}

input_number.temperatuur_overloop is the variable i like to modify in frontend of homeassistent. here things go wrong i think :frowning:

how can i use the helper input_number.temperatuur_overloop as value to check if temperature is above input_number.temperatuur_overloop?

I like to hear from you.

Regards

I’m not sure it’s possible to use a template in the “above” section of the automation. But it it were possible to do it, the correct syntax would look more like

"{{ states('input_number.temperatuur_overloop')|int }}"

If that doesn’t work, you will likely have to write the whole trigger as one big template as described here

Dear scstraus,

I tried a little, but this template trigger thing I think is too difficult for me to understand. I’m new and not so good in this programming. For now I use with fixed number in automation.

Maybe later if I understand it all better I try to do with template trigger.

Thanks.

Wilfried

Thank you for taking the time to look at this, apologies, I read your reply whilst at work then forgot all about it.
I’ve done some testing using your suggestions,my results are as follows:

Switching modes will change the temperature to that dictated by the controller, resetting anything HA has sent.
HA can set TemporaryOverride whilst in away, but duration is ignored.
I have now written my automations to use HA evohome.set_zone_override without a duration, which makes the change permanent, I then clear it later in HA using evohome.clear_zone_override.
This works, but if Evohome accepted the duration, it would be so much easier :slight_smile:

Hi David, probably this is the wrong place to ask, but I am shopping for a new boiler and wanted to get one where I could read the boiler pressure and basic fault info from Home Assistant. It appears you have made a nice integration for Intergas which would also support OpenTherm which I would like too.

Can I ask you if there’s any modern Intergas boilers which support this integration? It seems that they phased out the Incomfort/Intouch apps in favor of their new Comfort Touch app. Does that mean we cannot integrate to the new boilers?

Here in Czechia it seems they only import the HRE ones but it looks like they might be adding the Xclusive range. Though I’m not opposed to importing if I must.

If there are boilers which will still work, please let me know, I will try to get the one you recommend.

Hi @scstraus I see you sometimes help other posters - thanks.

The intergas integration speaks with a Lan2RF gateway, which is approx £150 or so - it is this device that inncomfort integration uses.

I cannot recommend it, mainly because it does not expose a return temp for CV (CH circulating volume). Note: I have no direct experience with v2 of the LAN2RF bridge, but I suspect it is the same.

If you’ve evohme, I suggest going down the opentherm route - a boiler with OT built in may be cheaper than adding it to a boiler, then all you have to do is but an evohome OT bridge & you can get all you want via evohome_rf

Whatever you do get - modulation level, return CV temp, and pushed fault alerts are the minimum required.

People who can speak with authorty can be found here: Heating Control (automatedhome.co.uk)

1 Like

Thanks David.

I don’t even know what CV is, but it sounds important ;-).

So does opentherm by itself send all the data about boiler pressure and boiler faults? The main thing I want is just some notification if something is going wrong. As I currently am experiencing pressure problems with my system, pressure is at the top of my mind.

CV is circulating volume - the water leaving your boiler - passing around your house and returning to be re-heated. Boilers are most efficient when they’re condensing, which is a function of the return CV temp.

You are right: (woops) I should have added pressure to my list!!

From a post of mine elsewhere:

It seems to me that all the OTB systems I’ve seen, the controller periodically (every 300 secs) asks (i.e. issues an RQ) for:

• 05: Fault flags & OEM fault code
  • 11: Relative modulation level
  • 12: Central heating water pressure
  • 13: DHW flow rate (litres/minute)
  • 19: Boiler water temperature
  • 1A: DHW temperature

In addition, some other controllers regularly (but not periodically, it seems) ask for:

• 1C: Return water temperature
  • 73: OEM diagnostic code

Everything we’ve discussed is there

1 Like

I’ve just spotted an error, I tried to propose an edit in Git hub and is said I didn’t have permissions and needed to fork.
So thought it would be better to advise here, unless I should have forked?

Last example on Honeywell Total Connect Comfort (Europe) - Home Assistant doesn’t work, line 222 “fault_type” should read “faultType”

Thank you

Ian

Hey thanks.

I don’t have time to fix this presently, could you submit it as an issue via github:

Otherwise it will get lost.

1 Like

Firstly, this integation is amazing! :grinning: thank you @zxdavb for all your hard work.

I have a query in regards to determining the heating/boiler status is either ON/OFF for the main climate entity. The hot water entity provides it however I could not find anything similar with the heating/boiler status. It would be useful to see how often and for how long the boiler is ON.

state_status:
    state: 'On'

Unfortunately Honeywell does not publish info about when the boiler is running or not via the web API. If I’m not mistaken, we should be able to get this with direct wireless access to the controller, and David is working on a component for that now. You can check that out here.

1 Like

Ever since I bought the Evohome heating system back in 2015, I’ve always wanted to know when it turns my boiler on and off because I noticed it doesn’t stay consistently on till the target temp is reached. It would seem to turn off for a min or so and they turn back on, only to turn off again a short while later.

I finally came up with a solution that uses an Optocoupler to detect when either the heating or hot water wireless receivers turn on. I guess it’s a similar but alternative way to the wireless system that David has been working on, but I didn’t see that method until I had completed this hard wired version. (plus I don’t have any wireless TRVs and only a single temp sensor in the hallway)

Question is, does anyone else notice a similar behaviour with their boilers?

The Optocoupler is linked to an ESP8266 which sends on/off status to Home Assistant, which in turn is linked to Grafana that produces the above graph.

I’ll create a new post explaining how to do the same in case it helps anyone else.

Hi @jarrah, You will very likely get an authoritative answer to your implied question (I’ve always wanted to know why…) here: https://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?13-Heating-Control

Certainly, evohome_rf will give you insight into this behavior, but those guys will be the perfect target for discussing this project.

What you’re seeing is TPI in action, TPI (Time Proportional & Integral), the thermostat in this case Evohome learns the thermal behaviour of the load, and rather than running the boiler continuously it modulates (albeit crudely) the heat output by turning the boiler on and off to give a time averaged output, which is equal to the requested output from the Evohome system.

If you want to understand more of the detail take a look at the following from Honeywell.

@GadgetUK The PDF you linked is really useful, thank you!

I guess my only concern is if this constant on/off method is ok for the boiler?

Also thanks for the link David, I’ll have a nosey!

btw, just posted my optocoupler method here: Optocoupler to detect mains electricity on/off

It’s absolutely fine for the boiler, most boilers with have a maximum number of restarts in an hour. This can be configured in the Evohome controller.

Depending on the boiler you’ve got, the next step to give even better control is to move to OpenTherm, where the boiler fully understands the %age load requested from the Evohome controller.