Old Automation Include Folder

So previously I used

automation: !include_dir_merge_list automation

Does this still work with the new automation setup? or do I need:

automation old: !include_dir_merge_list automation

Thanks

It will still work the first way, but if you want to use the new editor in addition to the automations you already have then use the second way.

Note that the old automations won’t appear in the editor.

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing. So if you use the second way my old automation’s will be added to the new way?

No, they have to be reformatted to have a unique ID for each automation and they all have to be in one long list. For details see towards the bottom of the docs at:

Unfortunately it’s for this very reason that many of us will never use it. There is no way I am going back from separate yaml files to one long list again. It’s so much easier for me to work on things separately.

I feel the same way. There is no way I can put all my automation’s in one file again.

Thanks for the replies, leaving things as they are and automations seem to be working. It wasn’t obvious from the docs. Also I agree with you, separate files are far more convenient than a single yaml.

I think it’s great that they are building these interfaces, especially for new users, don’t get me wrong.

I have not tried it yet (actually just updated from 44.x to 46.0) but this might be a useful way to create the initial automation and then transfer it to your existing style of automations.

I know I struggle with many of my automation creations.

1 Like