Old version after HA Docker update

Hey folks!
Was searching throughout the forum/reddit but cannot find anything similar.
I have Raspberry Pi 3B+ with Docker installed (not Compose), and right now it runs HA 2020.12.1
There is no supervisor and since it’s not HASS, I use this to update the system:
sudo docker pull homeassistant/raspberrypi3-homeassistant:stable
The installation downloads all binaries, successfully unpacks/installs them and says it’s all good. Re-running this command says “Image is up to date”.
Restarting Docker and HA, then I head to Configuration > Info and I see Home Assistant 2020.12.1
The Docker hub package says it’s past 2021.3 and there were few packages uploaded yesterday (which my installation did unpack) https://hub.docker.com/r/homeassistant/raspberrypi3-homeassistant/tags?page=1&ordering=last_updated

Went through this cycle three times, nothing has changed. Am I missing something?
Thanks!

Remove the container and re-create it from the image.

If you switch to using Docker Compose then it’s as simple as:

docker-compose pull
docker-compose up -d

That handles removing the current container, and creating it fresh, which is what you have to do to upgrade.

plus installing docker-compose and writing a docker-compose.yaml file.

Alternativ: Use Watchtower for Auto-Updating any container.

$ docker run -d \
    --name watchtower \
    -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock \
    containrrr/watchtower

Watchtower… :scream:

Please don’t recommend that without the warning that you will wake up to a dead HA system at some point. Breaking changes exist in every release, when one impacts your system an auto-update means HA won’t start.

Watchtower and HA isn’t a good mix.

1 Like

Works for me since 0.117 …

Thank you for replies! Cannot use Docker Compose as it doesn’t compile under RPi 3B.
Also was trying to avoid re-installing the container - won’t I have to reconfigure all networking, usb dongles etc?

Containers are meant to be ephemeral, disposable. Without removing the container, you won‘t get the update.

Can you remember/recover the command you used to create the container?

You absolutely can use compose.

This article explains how, one of the first found from Google searching for docker compose raspberry pi for me.

TL/DR:

# Install required packages
sudo apt update
sudo apt install -y python3-pip libffi-dev

# Install Docker Compose from pip (using Python3)
# This might take a while
sudo pip3 install docker-compose

Or you can use Portainer.

I use it to have an UI overview of all my containers and with Portainer it’s as easy as clicking a “recreate” button from the container config area and telling it to pull the latest image (three clicks total)