[On Hold] Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux

It seems that no matter how much this topic of OS’s / Docker / HA is discussed, people still don’t know what THEY installed… seems mind boggling how this happens, seriously! :exploding_head: :rofl:

13 Likes

Not really mind boggling…amusing…but not mind boggling. Technical proficiency is never absolute. They is SOOO much to learn in this field that there is rarely someone who knows a lot about everything. When you have a great community such as this one where folks take the time to make it easier for those who are less proficient (or simply do not have the time to really dig in to a particular tech) then they simply follows the steps of the guide. I see myself as a fairly well rounded tech but there have been quite a few guides I have followed and if you ask me what I did… :man_shrugging:…well I followed the steps layed out before me. I do my best to understand the underlying components but for some things…there are simply too many moving parts and too little time.

Just my thoughts on the matter :wink:

3 Likes

Valid point, but when someone goes out of their way to install via a ‘non-standard’ method you would expect that they therefore know what they are doing to some extent. Those that do the most simple HA install might not understand the underlying architecture, and that’s fine…but for a ‘non-standard’ type install…?

1 Like

I use an odroid N2 for HA for a supervised install on the official odroid release, which is based on ubuntu. I get the note about running an unsupported installation. The supervise install notes now say you have to use the latest debian. It doen’t appear that there is an easy install of debian arm for the N2. The best alternatives are armbian or arch. My read is that these are not viewed as supported releases. I started with a raspberry pi, for which raspbian is the official release. Based on my read of the HA debian requirement witch state no debian derivatives it appears raspbian isn’t a supported release. It seems if you don’t include raspbian and something like armbian you’re really shutting down the arm processors as an option for a supervised install. Any chance there will be some relaxing to include something beyond debian? If not you should really provide a list of ARM boards HA recommends utilized and point to the debian distribution you consider to be valid.

1 Like

WAS the official release :slight_smile:

As mentioned many times previously, it’s not the end of the world if you choose to install on a ‘non-supported’ OS. I’m on Ubuntu and not worried about it at all. Worst case scenario is I later need to do a snapshot, install HA on some other OS and load the snapshot. It won’t take long at all. The only thing that non-supported really means at this stage is that you can’t go complaining to the dev’s if something relating to your installed OS causes issues with HA. Don’t stress.

2 Likes

Raspberry OS 64bit (still beta) on Pi 3 and 4 shows as Debian, so this is supported.

Technically, no :wink:

Home Assistant Core is (once more) an install method for Home Assistant - which is what everything runs. For a while HAC was the name for what started as Home Assistant, and is now back to Home Assistant.

Yes, the constant name changing and multiple meanings for some of them really hasn’t helped simplify anything…

1 Like

Particularly as no one has ever changed the nomenclature in all these forum posts, reddit posts, youtube videos etc etc etc :slight_smile:

or even within Home Assistant itself…

2 Likes

Thanks for the correction. I’d call mysrlf an experienced user and I still struggle with all this name changes.
The devs for sure know how to code, but managing a business/product, marketing and communication is, let’s say not one of their strenghts :laughing:

2 Likes

I appreciate using a snapshot should make it easy to move OS or hardware if the need arises. I’ve been using open source projects in my home for 15 to 20 years now. I started with freevo and moved to mythtv. When something the family has grown dependent on goes down every one wants it pack up ASAP. HA really is a great product. I’ve only been using it for 6 months and it is now a integral part of the home experience. I choose the Odriod N2 because it out performs any Raspberry Pi and it was listed as one of the platforms the restricted Hass OS worked on. I stated with Hass OS but when I hit a simple task I wanted to do that I could not do on Hass OS I moved over to the Odriod supported OS release. Anyway if at that point HA had indicated they would only support debian I would have picked hardware/OS that fit that mix. Armbian covers the most arm boards. It just seems it would be great if the development team included a distribution that gave the greatest range of hardware platforms. For now I’m good, but I’m expecting I’ll have to migrate in the near future if I chose to keep pulling in the new releases.

Why?
If you are used to running Linux, why would you “expect” to migrate? Why is this “supported” tag in HA so important to everyone, when your OS most prbably is not “supported” in any sense of the word anyway?
With a very few exceptions Linux is “unsupported”. Yes, you can buy commercial licenses for Red Hat and a few others that will give you proper support, but if your Ubuntu breaks, you get to keep the parts, and you can submit a bug report and hope that someone will fix it. Same with Debian, Fedora, Centos or whatnot. Does it stop you from using it? Does it stop the community from helping you, or fixing bugs and submitting PRs?

This is the exact same with HA. “Unsupported” means that they have not tested the combination of OS and application. And it might or might not work.

For “Supervised” it is more difficult than for the regular HA container (previously named “HA Core”), because the supervisor actually touches the OS and is able to install applications, configure, run and maintain containers etc. This means that certain commands needs to be available, and certain versions of libraries needs to be in the core OS. If these are present in your distribution of choice, it probably works fine. But they have not tested it for every combination of OS and supervisor version.

If the dependencies are not present in your OS, the developers won’t go out of their way to fix it, but a PR might be merged if it does not break other stuff, and in general is well written and well behaved.

11 Likes

You can use any OS you like, “supported” in this case means “We only tested it with Debian, any other OS YMMV.”

1 Like

The reason we are getting raged has nothing to do with support.
I do not get support I can count on even if I run a so called supported installation method.

The issue is the small steps towards a corporate control mentality and away from community driven project

It is only a matter of time before people running the supervised installation on anything beyond a naked untouched Debian will experience that the supervised will refuse to upgrade your home assistant.

Why else deprecating generic Linux?
Why else defining a Debian where you cannot install ssh?
Why else do you add a warning that the installation is not supported?

There is a cunning plan behind it. The requirement to not even accept Debian with sshd installed is so rediculous. I could have understood Debian or Debian derivative like Ubuntu or Raspbian etc. But only Debian with nothing installed? Why would I want that? What would anyone use it for? Logging in on a local terminal singing “I am King root, Heil King root” while typing ls?

This is either silliness or a cunning plan!

3 Likes

If there’s some sort of ‘cunning plan’, why is docker and venv still supported? You can copy all the addons and manage them yourself without supervised by copying the docker files. How does this fit into this ‘cunning plan’?

3 Likes
1 Like

So much unnecessary drama. Can everyone PLEASE stop stressing out about this ‘unsupported’ WORD. Do you all seriously think that given the huge community base around HA that these installs are really going to just break and never be sorted out? No, because there are SO MANY people using it. It just means community support only. Worst case scenario, change OS… oh wahhh.

Perhaps it’s time to lock this thread…

8 Likes

Not really a tag issue. You hit exactly why I expect I’ll be migrating at some point. Ubuntu is a slow moving distro with respect to upgrades to the latest and based on what I’ve seen, HA moves faster than Ubuntu. So I expect HA will be using new versions of libraries that are supported by Ubuntu in the near future. I’m already behind in some versions of the primary HA packages. It’s just a matter of time for the team to take advantage of a feature in one of these packages.

You’ve been around in this thread for over a 1000 comments. You’re ignoring all the things that have been said and just keep repeating your claim about an evil plan, completely ignoring all our remarks about our work load and burn out. Even going as far as saying it’s silliness. We’re real people, please treat us like that.

8 Likes