[On Hold] Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux

So if Home Assistant Core is your primary application, what prevents you from leaving HassOS tomorrow (or tonight), and throwing away the work of those who migrated? How can I be sure that my investment in home assistant is protected? This is one of the main point, in my opinion.

I’m still confused after reading for a few hours now.

Currently I;m running HA in a VM on Proxmox. It has supervisor also.

So I just fired up a new VM using the whisker007 script. https://github.com/whiskerz007/proxmox_hassos_install It also has supervisor installed by default. Is this the one that will be supported? Or do I need to install a different way?

thank you, really

1 Like

This is going to be a dumb question, but how do I tell what install I am running? I think I did the generic linux install on my PI4 a while back so I could run off my SSD, but don’t remember.

Will I need to redo my system?

I’ve been using hass.io on generic linux (ubuntu LTS), running in a hyper-v VM, since late 2016 without any issues. Gradually, over time - I’ve installed the add-ins for unifi, pihole, motioneye, grafana, influxdb, vscode, etc… These were quick installs using the hass.io supervisor interface and I went that route because it was easy to keep things updated and I could throw way more resources at the underlying vm. The other benefit was this approach seemed to be the most popular install method.

But now, as someone who is not financially in a place to buy a nuc or odroid, I’m wondering what I should do? My setup has enough sensors and integrations that a raspberry pi simply won’t cut it (even if I had one). Additionally, the add-ins (unifi, pihole) are foundational pieces of my infrastructure that I don’t want to move away from. Maybe, I can download a VHDX and convert it? The instructions aren’t clear.

I think I could better understand if this was a data-informed decision. Like - “we have the data and it shows that this install method is 5% of the user base” or something like that. But, without that kind of data, the sudden announcement makes this decision feel shot from the hip. Does the home assistant team really know for sure if this will or won’t affect the project’s adoption? I expect it will, especially given the backlash we’re now seeing from the community. Honestly it just seems like a very poor business decision given that it was likely the most common way for new users to attach (maybe, maybe not - there’s no data shared about what is the most common install approach).

Beyond that, I feel frustrated by this decision. Am I just not valued as a customer and user due to the way I installed? I’ve been paying for Nabu casa ever since it was lit up, and it would have been great if the Home Assistant team would have stipulated what exactly they needed help with or what exactly wasn’t working - because as an open source project maybe folks would have been willing to help out? Should I start looking for alternatives now that there appears to be a messy path forward for hyper-v?

3 Likes

Thank you!

If the outcome of this postponement is that only one Linux distro is supported then I’m all for it.

I’m running Ubuntu now but I’m willing to switch to whatever is officially supported.

23 Likes

I’m so glad to read this response. I’ve been avoiding responding because I’ve been nurturing my anger/upset/disappointment, knowing I wouldn’t be able to write anything constructive. I was worried HA had become a project that behaved like Logitech, Sonos or Google with complete disregard for it’s users. My pride in HA for not behaving that way towards it’s users was taken away. Part of me wanted to walk away as I could no longer recommend HA with any enthusiasm or confidence.
This is a good decision.
I have actually tried to contribute to the generic-install branch but my comments and PR were previously ignored. I’m happy to extend that offer of support to @pvizeli again to help maintain this. I have limited knowledge of Linux or whatever voodoo magic Supervisor does but am willing to be used as a resource if supports HA.

1 Like

Agreed. That would be a reasonable compromise. Running on all linux distro / flavours can be a nightmare to maintain. Choosing one rather mainstream (Debian, Ubuntu, Centos,…) would be the best of both worlds. IMHO.

GV

2 Likes

The reactions are confusion are in great part also due to how many variants of home assistant installations have been introduced. I am a great advocate for simplicity and even the diagram reshared by @123 may not have helped everyone. I spent some time reading this thread and realized that a lot of opposition comes from people who will not even be affected. I understand the desire from the team and I also think that it makes sense in the long run to not have that many variants.

Would it have been clearer (If I understood things correctly which I may not have) to say that supervisor will be deprecated on installations outside prebuilt docker images, VM images and HassOS?
Therefore people who do not run supervisors or run it within a prebuilt environment are not affected?

1 Like

I agree, Bad bad, bad idea.

Have to wonder if a mostly ‘here it is – deal with it’ team will listen to us old timers who’ve seen it all or if they’ll already make a choice to lead HA into disuse . So many expressing their objection in less than 24 hours – can’t be ignored but if they chose to go ahead as planned, HA is doomed in my opinion. Hass.io is what’s made this project a success…I’ve come to understand that that’s not what’s understood in the project team even if they themselves once reported that most used hass.io and it’s generic Linix intall. Pascal is truly to be commended for all his great work! Maybe someone will come forward to lend him a useful hand and find work/life balance.

4 Likes

That’s great to hear and thank you.

Your’re absolutely right. It’s a suicide move.They’re killing one of the main features of the product. They saw the branch on which they are sitting. Too bad, it was a winning product also for its architecture.

2 Likes
  1. Did you install a Linux operating system?

2. In Home Assistant, do you see this in the menu?
    . Screenshot from 2020-05-10 11-14-50

• If you answered yes to both questions, you are running Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux.

• If you answered no to either question, you are not running Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux.

1 Like

Great to hear the decision is on hold.

Now, it’s really important to grow the team skills in that domain and Pascal is truly to be commended for all his great work!

Maybe someone will come forward to lend him a useful hand and so he can find some well deserved find work/life balance.

What’s missing from understanding the diagram completely is the black line… That black line is the Docker Daemon. It makes everything below the line irrelevant to the containers running above it. The only thing that would need to be “OS Dependent” is the installation script due to slightly different pathing. However simplify things into a supported docker-compose file and give prereqs for the OS (docker daemon, pathing etc) and life can move on. Most of us rolling our own setup don’t need everything done for us. Or just roll hass.io features into the main project?

Great move in back tracking on this, look forward to the future.

4 Likes

@Previous @Giovanni_Virdis [On Hold] Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux

1 Like

Thank you for responding to this!
While I was very disappointed by the way this was communicated, I have a LOT of respect for leaders who are able to hit the pause button on a decision in response to feedback. I understand that this will be difficult as there is a resource limitation and appreciate you guys taking the time to work with the community to flush this out. At a minimum, we now have the time to properly investigate other ways of using HA. My time to work on things has been very limited for me lately, and I’m not going to lie…this thread increased my stress level significantly. I was seriously considering dumping everything, tucking my tail between my legs, and heading back to Hubitat. It would have been easier to start over on that ecosystem than suffer through the potential weeks of research, trial and error to get my NUC migrated to a VM setup.

My family and I thank you for this decision…even if it’s only temporary.

PS
I would also support a decision that would allow a Linux OS supervised install with strict parameters (OS type, version and config).

7 Likes

Have they? Because the way you have been reacting to this in multiple topics did sound a little biased. Would be nice to see some more mild reactions next time.

I hope you can too, in the future. Instead of being negative upfront, in more then one post and jumping to negative conclusions. Sorry to be harsh, but you weren’t really productive yourself about this earlier on.
You might want to get used to decisions being made without asking the public, because that would stall every development to a crawling pace. Some greatness comes with a price and usually people tend to just change with it over time.

2 Likes

Still can’t believe all the attitude on a free product, and if you pay for Nabu Casa, that $5 is for the hosting mainly, they aren’t making a lot of money. It’s their project and it’s free. If you want to fork it, go for it, you want to get mad and leave project, also go for it, who cares, go to Hubitat community or Smartthings.

Plenty people who don’t mind this change in community, I think they should kill it, and VM support too, full OS or docker core only makes sense to me.

You know they could just move on tomorrow and stop all of this right? Make whatever change they want? They don’t owe the community anything, we benefit from their passion on their project.

I’ve had enterprise software that cost fortunes make changes more frustrating when I was paying millions a year, such as changes from SalesForce, Microsoft, Oracle, Cisco, and plenty others.

Get over the anger, fix your solutions and adapt, and move on, or leave community and go somewhere else.

6 Likes

I am so happy to hear this. Killing one of the key features of a product like homeassistant is a suicide, believe me. The evolution of the yaml and its specialization using it only where it is needed, it’s decision which, in my opinion, do not overturns the product, an architectural change of this magnitude does. Cuts out power users, just the pool of users where you could more easily find someone who helps you.
I hope you will review it, possibly specializing the support on a distribution (Debian?).
Great.