[On Hold] Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux

Not sure how its related to this discussion, but its still possible to disable auto updates to addons

if advanced mode is off then they dont show, frenck has confirmed in the thread

1 Like

I am using ARMBIAN and home assistant + supervisor.
I need to do this because my android boxes are not supported / wont boot with the normal home assistant images.

Android boxes / s905x% devices are a faster and cheaper alternative of Pi or odroid machines.

It would be a shame if i need to reinstall all the devices in the future.

I had the same problems lately. After every update i needed to delete de supervisor docker image and pull a new one.
After that it would work again.

I’ve used both. In fact, I’ve used Premise for about 13 years. Its architecture and management UI is significantly more advanced than most of the currently available home automation software (and that includes Home Assistant).

However, if you are referring to their ability to create attractive and sophisticated front ends for display on tablets and phones then, yes I agree, they are spartan compared to what can be done with Home Assistant or openHAB.

Its temporarily broken… like my previous post… you can try my fork which allow you to install it
curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/krdesigns-com/supervised-installer/master/installer.sh | bash -s until someone fixed it. P.S. its just a fork and I did turn it text to previous version.

2 Likes

Yes, but in the case of Premise, as a single file (with hierarchically-structured XML content).

Home Assistant periodically saves the state of certain entities to a JSON file. In comparison, Premise periodically saves all states and the entire configuration to an XML file. It keeps the latest ten copies and you can restore your system from any one of them (allowing you to rollback from a bad or undesired recent modification).

On restart, it loads the latest backup. If it’s corrupted, it tries the next backup (each one was made 10 minutes apart) and continues in this manner until it finds a valid configuration. If none is found, it starts with a blank slate (and a message indicating what just happened).

I suspect both of us are equally surprised to learn how many people don’t know what they installed. It’s this degree of unfamiliarity that can cause confusion when requesting assistance or reporting bugs.

The documentation cautions the user to avoid using certain advanced installation methods if they aren’t familiar with the added inherent responsibilities. Perhaps it needs more emphasis.

There’s a request to have the installation type displayed on the Info page so that will, at the very least, help with identification.

2 Likes

Thanks. I did fix this as I stated previously by downloading it and running it locally. Although I’m sure your post will help others who may have the same issue.

The gap’s too big.

“I do want to install homeassistant, I don’t own a NUC or Pi”

In this scenario, expert or not, you’re doing the advanced install. The non-expert ones are using any YouTube video and therefore don’t understand that there are massive differences in the end result from what they thought they were getting.

1 Like

XML as a storage format really not what is designed for:

BAD for Data transfer formats
BAD for Serializing Objects
BAD for Storing relational data in databases
BAD as file format for high performance I/O scenarios
BAD as Verbose
BAD as not as fast to parse (no  binary representation)
BAD as it breaks if not well-formed which means application is going down ...

You are evaluating it from the perspective of the present. I am merely explaining its implementation in a product designed 20 years ago. At the time its use was innovative and non-proprietary, and flexible. I am not advocating for its adoption today.

You may be interested to know that Premise did use it to serialize objects and there was no noticeable performance penalty. In fact, startup is faster than Home Assistant on equivalent equipment so there’s more involved than just the storage format.

This has been an interesting discussion but I believe we have strayed well off topic.

This is really bad news, I just built a new i7 machine few weeks ago. Old machine is still running both using generic Linux install. I had doubts if I should get an i5 machine or i7, eventually went for i7, now this machine on its own is a waste of resources to run only HA on, on the other hand running multiple docker containers gives the benefit of a strong CPU which needs high CPU usage only once in a while.

I have tried installing proxmox and ESXi for testing but did not like it and since I only use docker containers I decided to only install Ubuntu server on the machine.

I understand that HA is trying to target simple users and focusing mostly on simple solutions, on the other hand please understand that there is a large community which is using more advanced installations, I’m aware it is possible use only HA core and install but these means it will drift from the main stream and not participate in the tests.

I see it is on hold and I hope it will be reconsidered. Thanks for the effort.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what you mean by that. The install method this thread is about uses HA Core too - every install method does.

1 Like

I mean it is possible to install HA core directly on Linux (without docker and supervised environment)

Thanks all the Home Assistant community of being reconsidering this. As you can see, there are lots of people using this method, and most of them without any issue. It is not fair that for a small number of users who “abuse” of this method we pay all the consequences. And let’s be realistic, virtual machines are not a solution, at least a good one.

Currently (and I hope it continues like this) there are 3 ways to install this great home automation software. Not all facilities are suitable for everyone. It depends on factors like server, computer skills and needs.

I have read some comments from people who, for whatever reason, this method has not worked well for them and they have used another type of installation. This is correct and I think it is as it should be.

I honestly believe that the solution is not to deprecate the method. Rather than deprecate it, you can simply maintain general aspects of the architecture, and those people who abuse of this method and get into trouble will be advised to use another alternative installation method, such as HassOS or Home Assistant Core. But please, don’t deprecate something that many people use without having any kind of issue and what is perfect for them

20 Likes

I merely stated my opinions on XML, INI(py) and YAML, from prospective of me being shutdown by devs regarding configuration templates. All what I am trying as a rest of folks on this thread is to raise issues around Linux installation, which I did in separate thread.
I do agree, that we went off topic.
best …

1 Like

He he!
Yes, I had to do that too, forgot to mention it… --Slapping my forehead–

The nonsensical naming and associated changes don’t help either.

4 Likes

I’d just like to take the time to say thank you for the new Zwave component. While it is a pre-release I have not had any issues and it appears to be a top notch component.