[On Hold] Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux

I don’t disagree with you. I have written an install guide that many people have used that uses the generic install method. I’m all for it.

You have misread my comment - I was questioning the ability to run VMs on a NUC as suggested. I’m not advocating for the use of VMs. Yet.

I am one of those who followed your guide (NUC) and I am super happy with this setup, because I am getting the best from HA and from my NUC.

What the devs should understand is that non-power users are here for the “HA software” and not to learn about VMs prxomox docker etc.

HA itself have a learning curve and in the begging it takes time and effort to make things happen.
Nobody will spend minimum a week in order to understand and make the right environment in order to install HA.

Imagine the average “windows user” (we like it or not are the majority uses windows) what will do if the best way to use HA is to install proxmox,virual machines etc. They will just no bother and move on

Ideally, in the end of the day, HA should be easy to install as an exe file fo windows and users start immediately play with HA, which is after all what they need. I don’t know if ever this could happen but I believe that this should be the ultimate goal.

Diversity is good, but I would prefer 1 main EASY install method and more capabilities in the program itself.

3 Likes

There are lots of land mines and stuff with setting up Proxmox as well that are less than straightforward. Particularly for someone just getting started.

1 Like

Agreed.

I’m working on walk-through that I’ll submit as a PR at some stage. Hoping to make it as easy as possible.

2 Likes

All of that + many users have sbc like b3+, b4 or slightly better sbc that doesn’t have ability to run an hypervisor easly, and maybe an sbc can be used for anything else than just HA, like a webserver, to control a device, a serial or anything a person want to do with that stuff, but not tied to an OS that you have no “control of”.
And the worst thing is that for some users the only answer is “proxmox it” and just don’t listen to the problem.
But i’m glad that someone else have focus on it.

Since the poll is buried in the middle of the thread and hard to find here is the final tally

BUT…remember to vote in the other poll, too, if you haven’t already: How did you install Home Assistant?

4 Likes

I have always known that to be the case, but we still don’t pay for HA.

Hi all.
I am currently running homeassistant in venv under hassbian (old config, i know).
i tried the hassos installation on my new raspberry 4 and it works well but, i can not use my iscsi settings on my synology nas as i do with the old venv one.
This is why i hope they will continue to support supervised version wich seems to be the only way for me to go for using hassio (all thoses docker container together) on an iscsi connection.
The main reason is to use the sd card only for the boot part and let all the linux/docker/databases, etc on the iscsi connection.

This is the exact way I have been using HA since I moved from my Pi. This is ideal for me as the PC running ubuntu displays my BlueIris cameras in the browser on a display above my normal PC getting dual use out of the HA server. Since most of my network/home automation equipment is here, its been ideal since the start.

The poll is nice but polls here are unfortunately highly likely to be skewed by self-selection bias.

I’m concerned about fairness here for the core developers, and other users not affected by this hot issue.
For details Please see my comment at https://community.home-assistant.io/t/how-did-you-install-home-assistant/196300/63?u=carver

1 Like

No need to worry about the core developers. It’s unlikely the poll’s results will influence decisions. They will be acquiring the data they need via a revised updater component in version 0.110.

Anyone who is using the Supervised version and wants their “vote” to be counted, ensure you have not disabled the updater component. If you are using the default_config option (it’s enabled on all new installations) you’re fine. If you disabled it and have cherry-picked the options it represents, ensure updater is enabled.

3 Likes

Let’s hope they share that data!

1 Like

To my knowledge, they never did in the past, at least not officially. I believe I recall Paulus mentioning it informally in a podcast about 1 if not 2 years ago. Hassio on RPI represented just over half of all installations (at the time).

I would think that, in the interests of better communication, they should share the results this time. I recall someone suggested they create a stats page revealing the installation types . After all, it is community data being harvested so it ought to be shared with the community.

10 Likes

Thoroughly agree @123

2 Likes

I’m also sad about that decisicon, as I am also running Home Assistant Supervised on my Ubuntu server which is running 24/7 anyway, so if it’s not necessary, I don’t want to run HA in a virtual machine or buy a Raspberry Pi just for HA.

For me, the generic installation is / was the perfect solution :roll_eyes:

At the beginning, when I compared different home automation systems (like HA, OpenHab etc.), I tested all of them by installing them on Ubuntu. If this method is not available anymore, the barrier of installing and testing HA will get higher, which would be really sad for possible future members of this community.

You can still run HA core on ubuntu, via venv or docker.

Ha core is not the solution, if you are on supervised

And supervised is not necessary to automate your home. It is useful for addons, but all software that can be added via addons can be added in your OS or via docker, depending on your preference. This is NOT the end of the world for people who don’t want to run a VM.

5 Likes

So +60% or more users are on supervised, why not deprecate ha core?

Ummmmm, without core the supervisor has nothing to run. Apart from addons.

2 Likes