[On Hold] Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux

I dunno, could be? As said, that wasn’t part of my goal, nor is the data used at this point.

Who does know?

You? You can check what the updater sends, as documented. However, that doesn’t change the fact that de data isn’t used. I don’t even know if I would need to change something in the backend to store those new values? Honestly, I don’t even know where that backend is or how the database is stored.

As said, my concern was providing insight to which installation method one has, as that was unclear to a lot of people.

I am not a developer; I am no programmer; I am simply a user of many opensource projects. Now that may be a distribution of Linux? An open source DB? Or a whole ecosystem To me if I like what I see I go with the flow. If that flow changes then I either cast my own drift or I adapt my teachings to include the skills required to adapt to the changes!
Point to note here is I am one of those rare individuals who records all traffic entering or leaving my network. This of course can seem anal; but by doing so I know from and where to my personal information goes.
Because the world of IT is so complex I just go with the flow. Chiming in where my skill set requires or dictates.
If it takes another path based upon the developers choices I will evaluate and adapt if need be. If I do not actively contribute to the development then I say nothing!
My opinion and not that of this project! Just saying is all!

I’ve already looked at it and can’t figure it out. You were the last person to modify its code 4 days ago so you’re in a good position to answer the question in a jiffy.

1 Like

I’m not interested in figuring that out.

As far as I can tell, info_object gets reported (see lines 138 & 139). This includes “distribution” and “os_version” (as defined in lines 129 & 130).

1 Like

Are referring to me?

I got multiple offered, I was not specifically referring to you.

Well the offer I made on 27th May still stands. I’m happy to help.

I’m sure you have seen the 4 community guides I created, and the considerable amount of time and effort I put into creating them, so if the Debian guide can be adapted to make it fully compliant, you know how to get hold of me.

1 Like

I’m actually working on replacing the installer as we speak, so things are changing in a matter of weeks (by the looks of it right now).

What does this mean?

That I’m aiming to get rid of the supervised-installer shell script and replacing it at full.

Which will mean what exactly? Some more detailed info would be great if you have 5 minutes.

1 Like

That the current method will most likely go away.

I rather finish research and proof of concepting phases first.

Fair enough. A heads up before it become official would be great.

In my view this is not a true community driven open source project any more.

It is a product where we are forced more and more towards that the control of the hardware is owned by Nabu Casa and not by the us users.

It moves more and more towards a closed ecosystem where a small group of people on the payroll of Nabu Casa’s secretly make plans without involving the huge population of contributors and more and more take total control of our hardware.

To be supported now, I have to dedicate my hardware 100% to the Nabu Casa developers. The software and the policies get more and more provocative and aggressive trying to force us away from using our hardware for purposes that are very reasonable. Latest is that red text you now throw in our faces because we have the nerve to use Ubuntu

The Supervised on Debian where you are not allowed to even install ssh daemon is a provocation. What is the point? We want supervised because we want to be able to control our hardware.

8 Likes

Does the warning message stop any functionality or updates/upgrades? If not how is that stopping you from using your hardware how you like?

I don’t use a supervised install so I’m trying to figure out the hub-bub about a warning message.

I think the ‘hub-hub’ is not so much about the warning message, but many people think it’s a prelude for more to come.

There’s nothing more to come. It’s to free up resources from people screwing up installs with non-supported os’s. Literally only reason. The dev’s don’t have the time running the tests on all OSs.