[On Hold] Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux

That I’m aiming to get rid of the supervised-installer shell script and replacing it at full.

Which will mean what exactly? Some more detailed info would be great if you have 5 minutes.

1 Like

That the current method will most likely go away.

I rather finish research and proof of concepting phases first.

Fair enough. A heads up before it become official would be great.

In my view this is not a true community driven open source project any more.

It is a product where we are forced more and more towards that the control of the hardware is owned by Nabu Casa and not by the us users.

It moves more and more towards a closed ecosystem where a small group of people on the payroll of Nabu Casa’s secretly make plans without involving the huge population of contributors and more and more take total control of our hardware.

To be supported now, I have to dedicate my hardware 100% to the Nabu Casa developers. The software and the policies get more and more provocative and aggressive trying to force us away from using our hardware for purposes that are very reasonable. Latest is that red text you now throw in our faces because we have the nerve to use Ubuntu

The Supervised on Debian where you are not allowed to even install ssh daemon is a provocation. What is the point? We want supervised because we want to be able to control our hardware.

8 Likes

Does the warning message stop any functionality or updates/upgrades? If not how is that stopping you from using your hardware how you like?

I don’t use a supervised install so I’m trying to figure out the hub-bub about a warning message.

I think the ‘hub-hub’ is not so much about the warning message, but many people think it’s a prelude for more to come.

There’s nothing more to come. It’s to free up resources from people screwing up installs with non-supported os’s. Literally only reason. The dev’s don’t have the time running the tests on all OSs.

Also, let’s not forget that Home Assistant Container/Core are always options. Sure, it would require you to manually install the software you’re currently running as add-ons, but if you want more control it’s a good option.

There were/are definitely some communication issues with the topic at hand though, not denying that.

This is what I always assumed ‘not supported’ meant.

“We only tested it on XX OS with XYZ software installed.”

Pretty much.

“We know it works in this particular environment. If you’re running outside this environment we can’t help you if you have issues.”

it’s not even that: “it might not work, you may need to seek help on the forums”

1 Like

With the passion this communicate has for Home Assistant and the scalability we all hope it can achieve; it makes sense to support supervised install on XX OS… and the community can support scaling beyond XX OS… the not supported message is not the right spirit

2 Likes

I guess it could be changed to “Community Supported Version” with a link to the ADR still?

So what would you expect it to say? The message is needed. In fact, it helped me figure out that I had an out of date package mentioned in the link. So the text is definitely beneficial.

Well, I spend my Sunday moving my raspberry pi4 from Ubuntu 20.04 64bit to Debian 64bit. Tbh, wanted to do that anyway, Ubuntu is confusing if you are used to Debian.

1 Like

I made that switch about a year ago. I’m 100% satisfied with the results. Debian is way more stable, no issues yet. Ubuntu corrupted a series of files related to dns and forced my hand.

1 Like

Exactly! I do not trust what is going on.

I was the release manager on the TWiki project for years putting 20-40 hours of volunteer work into that project. So did 30-40 other developers. There was more and more disagreement between the Benevolant Dictator For Life and the developers. One day the Godking told us that TWiki was going commercial and that we all had to sign a contract that basically meant we were working for free so he could be rich. The result. ALL developers left the project and forked Foswiki.
And to ensure the same did not happen again we formed the Foswiki Association as the owner of the brand and since then the software has been managed by a democratically elected board of directors elected by the members of the Association. That does not mean all agree about everything but it ensures the big decisions are in line with the community. TWiki dried out, and Foswiki made some great releases the next 10 years.

I see the exact same trend going on here. Nabu Casa is a commercial entity led by one single person that rarely asks the community before making radical decisions.

• First we had the decision to no longer support Supervised installation.
  • Then we had a strong reaction that could not easily be ignored
  • Then we had a promise that the Supervised deprecation would be put on hold but in reality the installation method had been removed from the website and never added again.
  • Then the absurd and totally unacceptable ADR where all protests were dismissed. An ADR that describes a Debian installation in which you are not allowed to install anything. We even got confirmation this included secure shell daemon meaning you cannot even login to the machine remotely. Absurd. Totally absurd. And if we do it anyway, we are now allowed to raise bug reports (they will be ignored - read the ADR!).
  • Then we see committed community members doing hard work to write up installation guides for Supervised. They are ignored and now dismissed because of a secret plan??
  • Then the messages are added to Home Assistant Supervisor screen warning that we are running on unsupported OS. That in itself is not a problem if we knew it ended there. But what comes next? That Supervisor will not start if the OS is wrong? I bet that is the cunning plan!

As a paying Nabu Casa customer AND a community member that spends hours every day helping other here on the forum, I am NOT HAPPY!

18 Likes

Does someone came with an answer? I want to have a standalone Home Assistant on a generic x86_64 machine (an atom CPU). Rasp. pi wasn’t really a good plan for long term. Someone have instructions? Thanks!

I do this via just docker :slight_smile: