[On Hold] Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux

Just hop on Discord and get started in #devs_os.

1 Like

How do I know which version I am running? I mean, how my setup is. I forgot my initial way I kept with, but basically, all is in a docker-compose file and if I go to my Portainer, I see “hassio_surpervisor”, “homeassist”, “addon_xxx”, and so on. So is there anything with this news that I need to change?

If you asked for something automagically I can’t answer that, but if you just want to add a new user with the official image, it is done by running:

docker exec -it mosquitto mosquitto_passwd -b /mosquitto/config/passwd usernam3 passw0rd

Just replace usernam3 and passw0rd with the account data you want to use.
If you did not name your container mosquitto you need to replace that too.

You can run that command multiple times to create additional users.

Ensure that your mosquitto.conf contains the following line to disable anonymous access:

allow_anonymous false

Yes. Just did that. Moved from hassio debian VM to hassos VM is 30 minutes…

GV

3 Likes

So that I know am understanding this right. We will no longer be able to just do a pip install on a normal Ubuntu box. We are now forced to download and used a prebuilt image on VMware? What is it the new image running? I have several things I do with Ubuntu in conjunction with HA. Will I still be able to manage this as I do my Ubuntu box or is it all locked down?

I dont think this is a good idea. I fully appreciate that the dev os was overwhelmed with helping users with their host os, but there’s a plenty of options between “trying to help users with every issue they’ve got with this installation method” and “no new releases (incl security fixes), no bugfixes, repos archived”.
Im actually a person who migrated from “Alternative installation method” on Ubuntu server to HassOS running on ESXi recently and not only migration experience is really, really bad - no official documentation, different online guides non of which is up to date and fully correct.
But i faced the biggest issues after the migration - HassOS is considerably less stable than “Alternate installation method” - it takes ages takes long time to boot when Hass is initialising network interfaces (considerably longer than booting up Ubuntu Server with 20 running docker containers), it segfaults very often and has usb issues too. Not to mention its very limited on features, even essential like mounting network shares is missing.

Sure, HassOS may be perfectly optimised and tailored for running HA on RPis, but the thing is that RPis are not suitable for running complex HA instances!

2 Likes

Patrick: As somebody who has experienced similar situations at work, I cannot disagree more. Communicating aspects of work overload in a team can be very hard for all involved, even if the best interest of all is taken into account. Even more so in a remote team. It might take months for somebody overwhelmed by work to realize it by him/herself and talk about it (it was for me). And with lockdowns this has been a very stressful time for everybody.

Of course I wish all the best for Pascal, but I think more focus in installation types has been inevitable anyway. The way setup types proliferated was confusing for new users and a documentation nightmare anyway.

3 Likes

From time to time the best parts of the project is being killed. No yaml, ok, with the snapshots I can make backups.
Now killing this too. I must use a whole os instead of the container, have to mess with a vm I I don’t want to use only a raspi. (And get a some ram to run another os)
Sad, we are loosing the best parts of the HA.
It is okkay, to support non tech people (or get rid of their questions), but don’t leave your first users, who was tech people

13 Likes

I found this today converting from my Ubuntu setup to HassOS - its somewhat disconcerting. In fact my whole migration to HassOS was a disconcerting affair - it took three attempts to get it to work on Proxmox (using the script in this thread) and it wouldnt restore my backup properly, i’ve ended up having to restore my config and set up my addons seperately.

Not the best of starts - i just hope its worth it

2 Likes

Will you please add the steps to properly uninstall? As far as I know there was only a install script available and not an uninstall script.

Also will you please, for the coming releases, add a comment to the release notes if you know things might break for generic Linux install users?

Although I understand the decision, I now have rethink my setup :disappointed: I’m running a powerful NUC, and just installing the HA NUC image is a waste of HW. The Plex image for example doesn’t work with HW transcoding and external storage. Guess the VM option is the best for me then.

Any tips are welcome, I’m running Ubuntu 20.04 server.

1 Like

Our mileage may vary. I did it yesterday evening to test. Migrated from my hassio debian vm to hassos vm on proxmox went really well:

• Create hassos VM using the script
  • Expanded hard disk, add some memory and cpu in proxmox
  • Boot, install samba add-on
  • Copy snapshot from hassio
  • Restore snapshot
  • Reboot. Done.

GV

That’s fine unless you want the ease of use of addons.

1 Like

You can still do that - I run HA, mosquitto and zigbee2mqtt in containers on the same machine. You just have to manage it yourself which is pretty easy with docker-compose.

1 Like

Anyone? Not seeing what I need to do yet!

The point is the devs want to stop folk fiddling at the OS level - that’s why it is so hard to access the OS command line on HassOS. Their biggest problem seems to be that they have become too entrenched in specific OS hacks to make everything work.

1 Like

The biggest thing this method lacks is the ability to run off an SSD/HDD. If you had offered that as an olive branch at the same time you discontinued supervised installed, some of the disquiet would evaporate.

3 Likes

Thing is, not all bugs result from the installation per se, they often result from issues in the underlying code that makes too many assumptions based on how HassOS is installed I suspect. Take for instance a problem I identified with Apparmour recently. The issue is that the underlying code only checks to see if apparmour is installed not to see if it is enabled. Because of this, the Supervisor tries running apparmour when it can’t be run causing hiccups. I offered a simple fix but it got an ‘unsupported OS’ response.

It is a ‘my way or the highway’ approach.

There are plenty of examples where that sort of approach ends in disaster.

6 Likes

well, checking supervisor commits it seems it was already semi-deprecated with just really minor changes, so i don’t quite understand all this effort thing.
btw it continues to work and probably will for long time anyway, there is no need to switch to another installation today or tomorrow, IMHO.
I see many users talking about switch to proxmox, esxi…but not everyone has HW capable to run it and hassOS itself is not usable for other than HA, this is the real problem.
And switch to “standard” docker HA + all addons as separate containers…it’s ok but you can’t add them to sidebar like supervised does, updating management is less hassle free. Everything is “separated” but what i like of supervised is that what i want to have integrated to HA, it could be…now there is no choice. To access grafana, a dedicated site or subdomain, to access esphome same thing…etc etc for all addons, while as of now it’s all in an “hub”. And backup&restore ability without need to access docker itself.
It’s a choice to deprecate things, we all get it, but give a damn time, for someone to check if can maintain it and/or people to switch to something else ( and have TIME for doing all things right ): in less than 24hrs it cutted off, this is the shame.

8 Likes

I am not certain on this, but I am reasonably sure it is not that Supervisor is depreciated (it is an integral part of HassOS) but installing it (and the rest of HA) on anything other than as part of HassOS, is depreciated / not supported. You now either have HassOS or Core as an install route. Yes current installs will still work until you need to reinstall!!

2 Likes

I don’t think so, i think it will continue to work as soon as they don’t remove it from repo or break things from HA itself.
But i’m not worried about, i’ll continue to use supervised version, i don’t get why to switch now, all my setup is running fine and don’t have time to change everything i made working after months.

4 Likes