[On Hold] Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux

Yes, the actual impact of this on current installations is very unclear.

1 Like

Honestly, for Home Assistant to grow further - accessibility is the most attractive thing for a newcomer. This method enabled me to upgrade from a Raspberry Pi 3B to a cheap Celeron NUC without any hassles. When I had a problem with my setup and needed to restart, I was able to install Ubuntu LTS, run the script, and get back to setting up everything within an hour.

As someone who has almost no knowledge about virtual machines and no time to learn how to implement these more complicated methods, I am quite annoyed that this method has been phased out.

I’m also very disappointed that no clear message has been provided on what will break for those who are currently using this method. I’m sure it has surprised a lot of users who have been running this for months.

11 Likes

Hummm… I have to go with my what my gut tells me after reading 2020 announcements. I’ve worked and used software for 45 years…

<< HASS.IO made the project’s success so far. Certainly not HASS.OS and never CORE alone. — it’s your user base >>

I have a sense that Architecture Decisions made in a very small group and largely based on existing project team capabilities/limitations and what are clearly Ways-Means-Ends justifications rather than Ends-Ways-Means with broad decision consultations signal a very high probability of the death of HA within very few years… It’s a shame to see that happen.

This reminds me of forever in beta Joomla 4 decoupling…

I have serious go forward decisions to make…

23 Likes

Buy a USB to M2 adaptor and flash the NUC image with etcher. It would be the easiest option.

Not at all, nothing to do with pip nstalls

For me it’s not clear what is changing for users of supervised setup on Linux.
I’ve just checked the images, which are used in this setup and I see they all are built for amd64 platform.

Does it mean, that after deprecation, these images will stop building, and become not available for users?

If I decide to stay on unsupported setup, what problems should I expect in the future? API breaks?

3 Likes

Nope. You can run it on an SSD/HDD. I used to do that before I moved to a Core-only install.

I’ve read through all 250 replies and there are a few inaccuracies.

The supervisor is still supported. It is the second most important component after Core.

This is about supporting the users and where the devs spend their time. As @balloob said there are 1000’s of ways users can install their own system and supporting these is not possible. The HA dev team is not a support desk. By removing support for this they may remove 90% of their support requests.

We have all seen the increase in full time staff at Nabu Casa. Home Assistant is developing fast and is going to become more complicated. Today a Supervised install on Linux works. Next week the supervisor may require another docker container that will not work outside of HassOS. I’m going to continue using this while I can.

If you haven’t noticed by the 250+ replies in 12 hours there are plenty of people using this method and there will be plenty of people trying to make this work. Lets just take the support duties away from the HA devs.

My personal requirement is to be able to update HA core from the UI and been able to make backups. With the recent uptick in releases, updating docker-compose files is going to become very time consuming. I also like to be able to update HA from my phone without having to get my laptop out.

We all want HA to become a more professional, polished product. This change should not be a surprise. SmartThings will only run on a locked down box purchased from Samsung. HA only running on a 100% pre-configured image is probably the way things will go. But it will be for the better.

9 Likes

How can I tell if this affects me?

How can I check if I am running Home Assistant Supervised?

Iirc I installed HASS Core into a venv via pip directly on Ubuntu. No docker.

Confused?! Your naming conventions and changes don’t help.

2 Likes

So 90% less posts asking for help on the forums? I’m not sure what support requests you are talking about. I have been using this install method for a long period of time now and have had almost zero issues with it. In my experience, it hasn’t required support.

10 Likes

You answered your own question.

Core with Venv is not a Supervised install.

3 Likes

Hello.

Could you point me at the installation instructions for installing to an SSD on Home Assistant OS. The ones I can find talk only of flashing an SD card.

1 Like

Right. And that’s why people like you can keep using it.

The problem is that via tutorials a lot of people are steered towards a supervised installation that either are not familiar enough with Linux, treat it as a playground or want to do very complicated things and end up shooting themselves in the foot.

2 Likes

i still don’t get it: why don’t just unsupport it instead of deprecate it, then?

5 Likes

So you remove support for an installation method because some people do stupid things? That makes no sense.

15 Likes

I think it would be great if you or others could make some tutorials for others to get to grips with how to do this. I know I’d really appreciate that from anyone with the knowledge and who is currently doing that.

I only just the past few days set up Raspbian lite on my Pi4 and then installed Home Assistant Supervised using the now deprecated instructions, just got it all set up working well and now discover it’s no longer supported. :neutral_face:

I’ve got some experience with Docker - enough to be able to figure things out as I go, but trying to understand how to install Home Assistant Core in Docker and then how to set up what used to be addons in Docker containers and have them all talk to each other (the key here) would be SO much easier with a few pointers or a tutorial. I guess they’ll start appreaing now this announcement has been made and hopefully I’ll be able to migrate to plain Docker.

Incidentally, the reason I don’t just want to install the Pi4 image os Hassos is that with the Supervised install I have now, I use the rpi-clone script to do a full image-type backup of my SD card which I can swap out and store if needed. As far as I’m aware, there’s no way to do that with Hassos because of no access to the base system or else I’d need to delve into the technical issues that are the very reason Supervised install on Generic Linux seems to cause issues in the first place. I’d still prefer a plain Docker setup though with full access to the base system.

What’s the difference?

For every post you see. There’s probably one or more emails direct to a dev, a pm, a GitHub issue, etc. If people only asked for help on the forum I doubt this would be an issue.

3 Likes

That if someone goes looking to move away from a Pi based install to something a little more beefy, the only option the will see as a supported Supervisor based install is using a VM.

I just had a play around with Proxmox this afternoon on my test machine, and the learning curve is far greater than running 4-5 dependency commands and a script.

3 Likes

Unsupported doesn’t mean deprecated without further fixes.

3 Likes