[On Hold] Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux

Yaaaayyyyy…

I’ve spent 2 years on a PI. Got fed up of killing SD cards and slow reboots/map/logs/history.

Didn’t see the point in buying a NUC and then further down the road buying a Nas so thought I’d buy a home server and combine the both with OMV and the supervised install script (after doing a couple of weeks of research).

Now 2 months after having to learn how to use the various things I needed to get my head around to get my set up working as before (but much much faster) I’m told the method I used to install is no longer being supported and I’ll be on my own.

I’m simply not going to upgrade and have a think about how I’m going forward.
I appear to have 2 options:

1. Use the server as a Nas (bit of a waste) and go for a Nuc and go for the prebuilt image while keeping my fingers crossed it won’t become unsupported at the drop of a hat some time in the future with no warning.

2. Install proxmox or similar and use the unofficial install script, then work out how to use any resource not used by home assistant as the NAS manager…while keeping my fingers crossed it won’t become unsupported at the drop of a hat some time in the future with no warning (unofficial install script remember).

Either way it’s going to mean weeks more of me finishing work and after putting my daughter to bed, sitting on the laptop reading up on the best way to go forward after explaining to my wife we were finally in a good position and safe (bar the usual breaking changes) and if anything goes wrong I can easily ask for help from the team.

All with no warning.

5 Likes

The ODroid N2 is beefier than a Pi and supports eMMC flash. It’s what I use myself and it’s super smooth.

So the same as is currently the case with every install type? Thought so.

Some users can’t even work out how to get Samba going using an officially supported add-on, so this argument is moot.

2 Likes

It does look a nice little machine. So that is a recommended and suggested upgrade pathway?

But a whole lots of faffing to do it, it seems (not tried TBH), especially when you can’t get to the base OS to change fstab etc. If it was intended to be ‘mainstream’ there would be instructions in the install. Look at dietpi-drive_manager - it really isn’t difficult to build in if they are so concerned to push out Supervised. Of course none of the Devs use a Pi no doubt so not a priority.

Yes. It’s price wise not that much more than a Pi with similar specs.

1 Like

How are reboot times?
(I imagine you may be a worst case given I imagine you are a power-user compared to the likes of me)

Recent versions support USB boot, so I just followed the same steps as flashing an SD card and it worked fine.

Say someone want to runs MotionEye (supported add-on) with 5-6 cameras and therefore need a better machine, but can’t afford $300+ for a NUC and they have an old PC laying about they could use.

What’s the suggested path for install?

2 Likes

Interested what @frenck is going to change to as he is running it this way according to his website:

How I run Home Assistant

I run Home Assistant, which powers my home, on a custom build computer running Proxmox. In Proxmox, I have created a virtual machine running Linux (Debian Buster) for Home Assistant. I’ve used the Generic Linux Installer for Hass.io to install Home Assistant. Yes, I run the Hass.io Ecosystem.

There are several methods of installing Home Assistant, and really, there is no “best” way. Whatever somebody tells you, it is a personal choice. I love Hass.io as the way of running Home Assistant since it removes a lot of time wasted on system maintenance, allowing me to focus more on what matters: Automating my home.

8 Likes

I hardly ever reboot. Just restart Home Assistant and Suoervisor when doing updates and that has been fine. Home Assistant will also be a ton faster to load in 0.110. We’ve seen speedups from 80s to 25s.

5 Likes

What do you use for the main storage? Size?

Black and white is seldom ‘real world thinking’. It’s a nice utopia view, but usually leads to product failure.

Honestly, it would be quite possible to limit support for HASS.IO to two or thee of the major platforms without killing it all together AND probably also not risk that most people walk away from Home Assistant. Single box products come a go with a regularity of about 2-3 years.

Supporting a few platforms like maybe Ubuntu/Debain and NUCs for HASS.IO and HASS.OS only for RPi’s would probably reduce the support load considerably.

Frankly, you can’t be everything to everyone, but here, clearly, the risk is that HA gets dropped by a very large number of users.

3 Likes

Sorry, restarts is what I meant (as part of config changed etc).

Good to hear upcoming improvements. I imagine the ODroid will accept a conbee2?

Yes it does.

Also most config changes don’t require a restart anymore. As part of our yaml announcement we also described how we have been introducing yaml reload options for many things and will continue to do so.

1 Like

This whole thing seems misguided. The whole thing around containers and dependencies doesn’t make sense. I don’t want somebodies “OS”, I have a perfectly functioning and hardened Fedora installation. I would hate to lose HASS.io as I love the convenience but it is what it is I guess.

That doesn’t make sense. The entire point of containers is to abstract the application environment away from the OS. That literally should never happen.

7 Likes

Suitable for general use or not?

2 Likes

No, the installation of core as pure python package is still supported. This only affects the supervisor.

VM with the home assistant OS image if you want add-ons I guess.

You’re thinking of Home Assistant Core, our main application. The supervisor exists to keep the containers up to date.