[On Hold] Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux

I agree that’s probably the case. I am already working on moving my install to Proxmox in lieu of this being killed off sooner rather than later. But, a stay of execution is better than nothing for those who were blindsided and don’t understand the pathway forward.

I did an install on my test PC yesterday. Going to format and start fresh today and see if the time it takes is longer than following my own guide for generic install.

Interesting looking at the docs now… I won’t be surprised to see any install but the HassOS variants meeting the same fate. First all-in-one, then hassbian, now generic… They will eventually be coming for anyone that doesn’t acquiesce to HassOS voluntarily… I see multiple VM’s in my future.

3 Likes

I would suggest that they won’t be adding back this installation method to the website but will continue to support it for those already using it with a view and hopefully guidelines on how to transition to HassOS in some form over a defined time period.

When time is up, no more updates, you’ve had a chance to migrate etc etc.

1 Like

I would also like to know if the NUC image can be used on other style of x86_64 machine.

I don’t really want to buy a NUC as my current machine has RAID disks which I like and there’s no NUC for under $1000 that can do it… The other hardware options are worse. Kind of painful to spend $500 and then get something worse than what I already have.

One thing this post did highlight was the number of people who have HA but have no idea the method they used to install it
Now that is scary

10 Likes

While I’m very happy that the decision has been reversed as this is my current install method; I wish people would remember this is not only an open source project, it’s also still technically in beta.

When I read the news this morning I immediately started learning about the other install methods. I just recently became more comfortable with VM’s due to wanting to use Remmina from my gaming laptop to have GUI into my NUC that runs Home Assistant. And now knowing that this will at some point probably still go away I’ll probably end up going the virtualbox route.

But the last thing I thought about doing was coming in here and complaining. You guys do awesome work and I’m very appreciative to be in this early in the development (been using HA for about 2 years now). Thank you guys for all your hard work.

2 Likes

uh, anyone can help me install an intel-nuc homeassistant image to a laptop?

i’ve tried in vain using the live ubuntu usb to boot and gnome disk to restore intel nuc image to the local hard drive but it’s still not working.

It’s not designed for laptops, it’s designed for use in NUCs.

1 Like

Having NUTS is quite simple… where do you get it stuck?

would like to have a copy…

The NUC image contains HassOS configured with drivers for NUC hardware (graphics, network, USB, drive controller, etc).

If you try the NUC image on a non-NUC machine, it’s unlikely to have exactly the same hardware so the drivers will fail to work properly.

At the risk of opening up another flame-war…

It’s really not surprising at all seeing what the new target audience is with the advent of “make it easy” and explicitly reiterated in the recent “future of yaml” thread.

I’m really not sure what the expectation was in that regard. Exactly how else was this supposed to end up?

2 Likes

I would expect that the number of people that didn’t know their install to run HassOS, that is the make it easy method. Instead, the replies in this thread it seems people don’t know what they are using and are actually using something like Ubuntu/Raspbian + Generic installer.

3 Likes

Try supervisor method on my RPI running on SSD and somehow never like it. So I’m using HASS Core instead, so far quite happy with my docker installations. Waiting @finity to share his docker line up. This should be easy, rather then used supervisor.

finity… THANK YOU

if anyone like to run your PI from SSD please let me know…

1 Like

I really honestly don’t remember.

it was a while back and I just gave up until I recently installed it via the add-on from the supervised install and it worked right away.

I think I remember that it kept giving an error that no device was found or something like that

Yes, running everything on a NUC and the UPS is plugged into the NUC via USB.

make sure NUC is handing out NUT informations else it wont show

I have no idea what you mean or how to do that.

However it is working great now with the hassio add-on running so I assume the machine is sending out whatever info it is supposed to or else that wouldn’t work either. I think…?

This is exactly the impression I get. There has been too many options with changing names leading people not to know what version they are already running and I can see many opponents to this move being unaffected by it. There are too many degrees between the most flexible, most expertise required installation and the easy, limited self contained ones. I can see the desire to make the most flexible container based installation easy to install and that’s what the supervisor was about. If I was to reduce the options, I would start by removing support for the self contained VM images because their value is pretty limited. As I said, if I am able to create a VM, I should be able to install Debian or ubuntu along with Home Assistant in it and would have no interest in installing the limited HassOS. The drawbacks far outweighs the benefits.

Maybe also the communication should have been focused on deprecating the supervisor, not the whole generic linux installation which has caused all the panic.

2 Likes

follow this guide… skip the Synology part… but be sure to install nut-client your system apt-get install nut-client and make sure upsc ups@LAN-IP giving you output.

1 Like