[On Hold] Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux

Ah no. I doubt it. It IS the depreciation of the Home Assistant that IS the issue. You can still install Home Assistant Core even with this depreciation but the supervisor is the bit that makes all the magic happen with addons and that was/is going to disappear and that is what got people upset.

1 Like

Personally I would be okay if HA would report to devs what kind of installations users are running (core, supervised…) and the host system (raspi, ubuntu…).

6 Likes

That’s not what was happening though. Home Assistant OS uses the Supervisor, and that was not being deprecated. What is referred to as the “generic Linux install” was being deprecated (and is now on hold)

1 Like

It’s exactly what was happening.
Both HA (generic linux) and HA (HassOS) are both called Home Assistant. Both use Supervisor. It was only the generic linux install that was being depreciated. So saying “deprecating the supervisor” is incorrect.

Anyway I’m glad they are re-evaluating if they can still support this going forward.

3 Likes

Nvm, I misunderstood your last message. Sorry about that. I thought you were saying the supervisor is being deprecated

2 Likes

I just setup a new Linux box to install home assistant… and the script is broken. I get this error message.

$ sudo curl -sL “https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/supervised-installer/master/installer.sh” | bash -s

[Warning] This installer is no longer supported.

[Warning]

[Warning] Home Assistant might work today, tomorrow maybe not.

[Warning]

[Warning] If you want more control over your own system, run

[Warning] Home Assistant as a VM or run Home Assistant Core

[Warning] via a Docker container.

[Warning]

Please typ “not supported” to continue this installation

bash: line 17: syntax error near unexpected token `then’

Anyone know how to get around it ?

Just do the curl part and comment out lines 15-21, then run the installer.

A conspiracy theorist might suggest it was deliberate, but not me :laughing:.

3 Likes

What is the chance that people “who do not know what they are running” installed a VM manager, and on top of that Linux and Home Assistant?
The logical way is to install an operating system in a computer and then the application you want to use.

1 Like

I did that, I vaguely know what I am doing and it was deliberate. Installed HA in a DietPi VM using the Generic install for years - worked perfectly. I did use HassOS briefly, but it was a PITA to set a fixed IP address. It may have been in the old days before the move to the new HassOS architecture.

Converting the VMDK images to Esxi used to not work.

Yip.

1 Like

Really people need ot look at the chipsets on their motherboard. NUC is made by Intel. It uses all intel components. Any motherboard with the same components should work. But trying on, say, an ATi.AMD motherboard may not be successful.

1 Like

did you try this?

1 Like

There has been a discussion on continuing support for supervised on maybe one operating system. Debian, raspbian, ubuntu, and centos have been suggested.

The fact is that there are many many supervised installs out there that people want to keep. They may have to change operating system to Hassos - whether that is by devoting their whole computer to hassos, or by using some sort of virtualisation.

People (and I am one) can’t be faffed with a VM, or don’t want to use a pi of a nuc, yet want to have an OS they can use for other stuff without using docker for each and every damn binary that is not in their hassos.

So for ongoing supervised install base OS I suggest exploring alpinelinux. This may not be feasible, my idea may have a fatal flaw, if it does someone will always tell me.

The idea came to my mind because alpine is small and designed for small systems:

From distrowatch

Alpine Linux is a community developed operating system designed for routers, firewalls, VPNs, VoIP boxes and servers. It was designed with security in mind; it has proactive security features like PaX and SSP that prevent security holes in the software to be exploited. The C library used is musl and the base tools are all in BusyBox. Those are normally found in embedded systems and are smaller than the tools found in GNU/Linux systems

Secondly most of the homeassistant docker images are based on alpine, so I assume most of our venerable devs are familiar with alpine.

Thirdly alpine has a packaging system and installing some binary that you need for a specific task is as easy as

apk add postfix

Fourthly it is available for a large number of architectures, including armv7, aarch64 (covering the pis), x86, amd64 (covering pretty well everything else).

I would appreciate any thoughts. It is pretty much a flight of fancy at present :slight_smile:

5 Likes

And what is the future for HW not so capable to run multiple OS but powerful enough to run HA + other personal things?
Change HW that is running fine today only for a changing method? This is not the right solution IMHO.
I saw many replies about proxmox, esxi…but for my personal view this is not the future, it’s maybe a regression. I use HA because of docker power, and supervised installation was, is, good enough to do the job.
The main problem about having 2 docker methods is that one comes with a full features installation, with addons and other handy things, and the second with a sort of basic functions and for the rest you have to do all by your own. There are drawbacks on both methods but maybe they could make one method with the ability to have the features an user want to have running( like: do you want addons, fine, enabled…don’t want ok addons disabled and so on ) without the issues they stated to have with hassio_supervisor.
But not everybody have server or nuc powerful enough to have an hypervisor running, and anyway it shows that even hassOS hypervised method is not so noob-proof.

1 Like

Why does everyone always say updating is tricky in a venv?

sudo systemctl stop ha@whatever
cd homeassistant
source bin/activate
python3 -m pip install --upgrade homeassistant
sudo systemctl start ha@whatever

just about the easiest linux commands that even exist.

2 Likes

Indeed. I ran venv on rpi then on nuc for ages. I could almost type that in my sleep.

Of course you only ever need to type it once in an editor and then save it. Change it’s permissions and then run it as a script.

Going back is not always so easy.

2 Likes

Just for shits and giggles, I installed Proxmox again today on my test system, and used the Whiskerz007 script to install HassOS.

First go around try was experimenting with Proxmox as I have never used it before, so played about etc. Once I knew what I was working with, I formatted and started again. Start to finish took me 40 mins, that included downloading Proxmox, making a bootable USB with Etcher, installation, running the script for HassOS, getting the SSH and Samba add-ons running so I could copy a backup over, restoring the backup etc.

It’s not ideal (I prefer the supervised install by far), but it’s workable and I think if someone made an easy to follow guide that was officially listed and supported, that could be a way forward.

edit: I also installed Ubuntu server in Proxmox alongside HassOS, it performs well.

4 Likes

Yeah, If only we knew someone who had experience if producing excellent install guides :wink: :rofl:

3 Likes

I have been running HA on Ubuntu Server LTS 18.04 hosted in ESXi for a while now and its been great. Know my way around Ubuntu plus plenty of stuff online if you need to tinker with the OS.

Tried to move to the VMDK image this weekend, got it up and running but this morning its gone offline. No idea why, scratching my head - seems it has lost it’s IP address.

The announcement that the deprecation is on hold is, for me, great news.

2 Likes

The key here is this though.

3 Likes

I had no idea changes were planned. I use generic method on a hexa core arm64 board, there is no other supported way to run ha in docker for that platform you should add telemetry if you want to get stats i think a lot of people rely on this. I’d be upset if it was dropped. Docker has very few dependencies outside kernel as everything is handled in containers so i dont buy the complexity argument, I dont want an appliance style os that is difficult to use for any other purpose either so even if i had a pi or nuc I’d still be using it. Id be forced to go to a venv and stop using addons if this was removed, or continue with an unsupported install. My installation has had zero system type issues related to my install method.

2 Likes