[On Hold] Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux

Or go with core on docker and stop using addons.

2 Likes

Or go with core on docker and stop using addons. < THIS method

1 Like

Actually, you don’t even need to stop HA beforehand.

I usually do

source bin/activate
python3 -m pip install --upgrade homeassistant
hass --script check_config
sudo systemctl start ha@whatever
2 Likes

no addons means, for me:

• no APC UPS Daemon
  • no autossh
  • no DSS VoIP Notifier
  • no Hass.io Google Drive Backup
  • no Mosquitto broker
  • no Nginx Proxy
  • no RTL_433 to MQTT Bridge
  • no deCONZ

really? IOW, no home assistant and all my domotic… fine

1 Like

other than autossh, google drive backup and the VOIP notifier. i know the others have docker containers available and i use most of them

Just install Proxmox and use Whiskerz007 install script.

Well, yes, that’s part of the problem.
You have to create that addons as containers, not by add-on store, but by yourself, googling for the right image.
While with supervised installation you have the add-on store that download image and create container.

1 Like

Most of those have containers from the official sources or how to build them.

yes but there are no doubts that with supervised, it’s easier and you don’t necessary have to deal with docker substrate as user, demanding all “un-necessary” things to hassio_supervisor.
And that containers are “linked” in home assistant UI.

2 Likes

Can you provide a link to this? I didn’t know there was an addon for this! Thanks

HTH

1 Like

Granted its easier, but what happens when your addon isn’t supported anymore or the maintainer doesn’t want to carry on. HA then breaks and the complaints come in about breaking changes etc.
There are only 21 official addons, the rest are community maintained or in other repositories. One saving grace is that Frenck maintains most of the community ones but that could change.

Then there is the supervisor that auto updates and again breaks something.

Nope for me i’m in full control of all the integrations i use, hence probably why i rarely suffer from breaking changes

1 Like

you said good: for you.
For me, if i want an addon for home assistant i find it good to have it within home assisant UI and managed by home assistant itself.
Just like hassOS.
And that is what i expect and i think an HA user should expect.
Why an HA user should manage HA addons through docker, portainer or whatever out of home assistant UI?
It’s easier and best model have it “inside” home assistant UI.
You can check log, make changes…all in your home assistant site.
If it’s for another purpose, not really for HA, then i’ll use standard docker management.
But this my vision: if it’s for HA then i wish to have it all in HA UI, if it’s not who cares.
It’s not your vision, deal :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I specifically use the supervisor installation BECAUSE i have control of the docker images. If i had a penny for everytime i had to go in and manually restart a hung supervisor/hass container i’d be rich.

2 Likes

Maybe I have missed something, but first off all I would like to understand what is the purpose of Home Assistant. I would like to know an official approach about it.
If its purpose is just to be used from some power-users I guess it can go (development wise) in every direction the devs wanted.
If it is to be used from middle knowledge users or newbies like me then it has do be available an easy way to operate HA.
Last few months my understanding was that it was towards to a more simple solution for no power users

With simple mode we focus on the core Home Assistant experience. **We're trying to answer the question: what is it that we want anyone to be able to do. Can we make it intuitive enough that people, young and old, can install Home Assistant and use it.**

source: https://developers.home-assistant.io/blog/2019/10/05/simple-mode/

Now if still this is the case, I am sorry but there is no way that beginners and no power users could follow the solutions offered with VMs Python etc.

I think devs have to rethink which is their target after all, (and their target group) and come with a solution for all.

To be honest I lost my trust a little after the announcements.

Please don’t be misunderstood, I really love HA and made my life easier the past months and is a very interesting and creative activity, which consumes a lot of time and energy. Yesterday I thought I lost the last months of my life and this makes me feel uncertain for the future.
I had several things I would like to add and read but for the time being I am “paused” waiting what I said in the begging what are the purpose of the devs with HA.

5 Likes

To go back to the subject, I really want to know if HA is still a community driven project or a Nabu Casa driven project. Balloob should communicate on this (and also about the roadmap).

From my point of view, it is now a Nabu Casa driven project (and I’m OK with it). 7 peoples are working for NC now and they all have a family. HA must be successful and so must work fine (so no more hassbian or generic install) and be easy (HassOS, less yaml, more GUI). And as more and more people are using HA, support demands are growing…
Don’t forget also that Pascal is HassOS and Supervisor (excellent work on that, but a bit complicated now to help). Without Pascal we will have to do with HA Core.
I also think that when HA was just a hobby for current NC employees, support was not an issue as it was just a hobby. Now it is their full time job and get paid for it so they must answer to support demands… limiting HA scope is what they try to do here.

1 Like

INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.updater] Submitted analytics to Home Assistant servers. Information submitted includes {'version': '0.109.6', 'dev': False, 'hassio': False, 'virtualenv': False, 'python_version': '3.7.7', 'docker': True, 'arch': 'x86_64', 'timezone': 'Europe/London', 'os_name': 'Linux', 'os_version': '3.11.6', 'distribution': 'alpine', 'huuid': '4382'

10 Likes

I’m a Nabu Casa subscriber because I always wanted to support this wonderful project.
But I can’t say that customers are treated well here.
Every new version there’s something that breaks the old configuration.
Now after years when the Hassio Supervisor on Linux host was publicly supported, the team decides that it’s too much work to maintain it.
I pay every month my subscription and I think everyone will do it, as no one will work for free.
But when you decide to ask for a subscription, you can’t force the customers to continuously change their setup.
In this I see clearly a lack of long term vision.
In the modern world no one wants to be stuck on a platform like Hassos that is totally useless and can run only Home Assistant.
If I need to run a custom container it’s impossible and I should buy another RPI.
That’s totally unacceptable, and the worst it’s that the developers for reduce their work force millions of users to rework their installation.
Don’t get me wrong, I love Home Assistant and I’m truly grateful for the work of the dev team.
But for me is unacceptable to remove the possibility to run Hassio on a Linux machine.

5 Likes

Firstly, you have the option to pay for Nabu Casa, it’s not compulsory, so they aren’t taking your money and screwing you over. If you feel hard done by, stop paying.

Secondly, that’s the price of using software still under active development.

1 Like

Amen brother.

/slides a pint down the bar

2 Likes