[On Hold] Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux

Yeah you pay, but have you ever read exactly where you pay for? You pay for the maintenance of the cloud connection and everything that is needed to get that to work, stay secure and up to date. Nothing more, nothing less.

Uh-oh, Now you’ve done it.

Prepare for “the Ire of the Devs”! :laughing:

2 Likes

It always used docker. The difference was using the OS that was made to be as minimal as possible, or another OS of your own choosing.

1 Like

forgive me, but your approach is wrong.
if it is one of the supported way to install HA, it has to be documented in an idiot-proof way; at the minimum, something like “for the nuc install, burn the image on your ssd using the same tool you’d use for ssd”…
and, more, there are few possibilities to write the image on the wrong device where it’s a SD… there are much more when the target is a disk… and if you choose the wrong one…

7 Likes

@frits1980 I don’t see how that would be possible? How could I mount the SSD so it would be accessible from a PC to write the image onto it?

1 Like

IIRC it’s just Proxmox in big letters isn’t it? I don’t really remember, but basically when you run the vm it starts, and when you watch it in the interface it never moves on from the ‘bios’ screen.

That script was actually the first thing I tried when I setup a proxmox server and when it didn’t work I presumed it was me missing something. Got acquainted with proxmox, built a new server and thought I’d try it again, same result - only this time confident it wasn’t me.

As I say though, we shouldn’t be relying on third party scripts. Is there a reason there isn’t just an .iso file? That’s the standard format for operating systems isn’t it?

Hehe… But without Supervisor available :slight_smile:

Probably, but I envision many confused people who are now wondering if this is something they need to worry about.

3 Likes

We are at cross purposes. What I was referring to was what has been suggested, write the image to the ssd.

Uh, sorry bro, my bad…

Simply put the SSD into your computer? Or if your have a Laptop (like me) you can use a 10€ Sata Adapter

One more step in this direction and you will come to understand how Linux packages should actually be distributed. Just a .deb/.rpm file. How is it done in OpenHab. But docker fanboys have their own ways…

Sure, but is that a good solution to all users that want an alternative to SD? Not user friendly at all…

1 Like

Actually if I read the documentation I would use etcher to put the image on a USB stick, put it in my nuc and boot from it and follow the intructions on screen.

And to give a disclaimer here, bacause I feel like my balls are already on the counter waiting to be chopped of, I didn’t test this or anything like it. It’s just what I would try first.

No. ISO files are cds? Software installs, music, games…Well, that’s always been my experience with isos back in the day. Rarely see any anymore.

ova, vmdk, vdi, qcow2…these are common vm image files. OVA has always been the goal but again…Pascal has been pretty overloaded. At some point he was like “screw it, here’s a bunch of image formats until we figure out ova”.

No one was relying on a third party script. And as I said it isn’t even necessary. I was just showing how someone from the community made it a little easier for “noobs”. Documenting all the various hypervisors out there would be a bit much. It’s the vm images that are official in that they are the same ecosystem you would end up with if flashing an SD/SSD.

I have a guide for converting vmdk to qcow2 for Unraid, but now the conversion part isn’t needed. That’s why I said “vmdk, qcow2 take your pick”. Same VM, different formats depending on what you need.

Where is the difference if you chose an SD card or SSD or HDD or USB Stick or what ever you want in Etcher? What could be more user friendly than that? I don’t really get your point

Hehehe… no worries :slight_smile: Didn’t mean to be disrespectful.

Well, this certain becomes an opportunity to provide alternative deployments of the Supervisor outside of HassOS; the addon third-party containers will still be able to run, but certain services (e.g. DNS) will need to be configured differently (e.g. no more core-mosquitto). Will the portfolio of services in the Supervisor stack be limited to HassOS only?

Didn’t mean you in particular. :innocent:

My point is if people would need to open like a NUC (or any other HW), unplug, replug, adapters etc. I think a lot of users wouldn’t know they way around this point. Personally I feel quite confident doing it this way for an install, but what about ‘everybody’ else? I’m thinking about avoiding flooding the community for installation support questions… A proper documentation and solution to anything else than RPi and SD…