[On Hold] Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux

Pretty sure it was never a supported method anyway

ok i now have migrated to esxi with the VMDK file … reinstalled the samba add-on copied my snapshot
and after 2 reboots everything seems ok

BUT the reboot procedure takes about 3 minutes :confused: it s really strange

Just another thought around opening it up. USB stick with linux live. Boot from it, download etcher like software and the HA image. Burn it to ssd or hdd.

So as NUCs are sold without a hard drive you even have to put it there in the first place and I flashed mine before I put it there; just like I do with Raspberry Pi.

I think the NUC installation of HassOS was far more user friendly that the Pi where you have to look for prober power supply and learn what classes and UHS speeds for SD Cards are, maybe you should get a case and coolers are good too… I just hat to put RAM and an SSD in my NUC and it’s ready :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Here’s the doc https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/blob/a38bf6e75a76f0ebf922624b0f48f2c95107fa94/Documentation/boards/nuc.md

But as some here point out, the NUC is overpowered (I would think that depends on which NUC is being used) and many like to install proxmox on it, and run several VMs, one of which is HA.

2 Likes

To install debian, fedora, windows, or any other OS you download the iso, stick it on a USB stick and boot from it. In proxmox (and presumably other hypervisors, and definitely in virtual box) you just tell the new vm to boot from the iso and then you create a debian/fedora/windows vm.

Releasing a ‘hassos’ iso would give you the ability to install it on bare metal or in a vm in the same way as you would with any other OS.

That may be the case (and I now know what I’m going to do - but I speak as more of a ‘power user’), but that’s not helping a number of people in this thread who don’t have a clue what they are going to do next.

I would have thought having one iso file that you can either ‘etcher’ on to an sd card for raspberry pi, dump on a USB stick for a nuc, or copy to storage and boot a vm on proxmox et al would be much more ‘noob friendly’.

7 Likes

I fully support your decision to discontinue support for Home Assistant Supervised due to lack of resources.

3 Likes

Yep same way here. it has never missed a beat. Most addon have containers available

Install the Glance add-on.

Node-red is one of the addons of why choose supervised installation, since it is easy to install and update as addon but tricky as self container.
That was the power and having all addons in one UI.
Not just an influxdb or grafana container.

So let’s at least try to cut thru all of the BS.

How do the experts here (dev team…) recommend that users now install HA (with add-ons obviously…) on a NUC (or other similar machine) in a way that was as user-friendly as the one that was just deprecated?

Where are the officially supported documentations for that recommended method?

8 Likes

I only know that those listed are containers for a virtual hard disk, and an iso is not. An iso is just image of a cd/dvd that would otherwise be burned and run in order to install things. It is read/only. What you are suggesting would first require a system be up and running, then the iso would be used to install something (just like it would when installing the OS’s you mentioned). A virtual hard disk is a system that already “exists” and you allocate resources to it…I’m describing it terribly but that’s how I do.

honestly, nodered is easy to setup with plain docker. just add the node through the pallete and done

1 Like

Hi guys,

How do I say that is Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux?

Sorry, but I didn’t install that.

Thank you.

Maxwell

But why, if you already have fedora/ubuntu/etc? Moreover, 90% of the “add-ons” provided by hassOS are just packages. Which are in any distribution and are perfectly supported and updated by maintainers. Why reinvent your own OS and new package (addon) manager? Isn’t it easier to make your own repository for one of the popular distributions?

1 Like

Docker containers (which is what addons are) isolate whatever package requirements are needed away from others. That’s the main benefit. You don’t have to worry about conflicts.

The method previously used never had supported documentation. it was community provided.
I think thats the point, it was based on that you knew what you were doing

1 Like

That’s not at all how installing operating systems works, and I’m quite shocked that you seem to have never done it??

Build a brand new computer with a brand new blank hard drive and install an operating system on it, what file format do you download…

Proxmox
Debian
Windows
Fedora
FreeBSD
EVERYTHING!

Iso file, stuck on a USB stick and away you go.

Hassos is an operating system, preconfigured to boot homeassistant - in the same way as Windows is preconfigured to boot the desktop or Proxmox is preconfigured to start it’s webserver. There’s no difference at all.

6 Likes

Then apparently I have no idea what “officially supported or documented” means.

I assumed that since it was listed on the official home assistant website it was “official”.

And I think likely thousands of others probably thought the same from the responses here.

EDIT to Add:

And saying it was :“community provided” isn’t a suifficient explanation.

Almost everything in HA is community provided. at least that’s what we are always told when we are told that the software is “free and community supported”

4 Likes

Capture

110 seconds … :confused: