[On Hold] Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux

it was at the bottom of here

community provided

Even the script had the warning about it.

I guess if someone wants to main that installation method and host it somehwere then there isnt an issue.

2 Likes

Firstly, I hope Pascal is healthy and well. The way this is written, it seems he is not, I hope that is not the case.

Secondly, I am a little confused and need some clarification. Home Assistant OS uses the Supervisor, in what appears to be the same or very similar way as the Generic Linux install does (please correct me if I’m wrong).

If this is the case, why is the Supervisor being dropped for one install type but not with the other, OR, is the Supervisor and therefore add-ons, easy updating etc, being dropped altogether at some point shortly with a move to Core only?

If there is some complex extra work that goes into making the supervisor run on Debian for example, that isn’t involved when using Home Assistant OS on a Pi or NUC, I would love to know that for education as I legitimately don’t know or understand.

Thirdly, and I guess this partially ties back into the first point, perhaps Pascal is unwell so a hasty decision was made, but we come again back to the lack or consultation with the community from the devs before decisions are made. I don’t recall seeing a post that asks the community to help with this installation type. If I missed it, please feel free to share the post.

If this work is a burden for one person to carry, then before making a decision to end support for it askthecommunity to help.

not angry, but disappointed in the lack of communication until it’s too late and a finalized decision has been made.

Absolutely not. A persons health is far more important than anything else. I’m not even sure why this point was made, it’s lacking in maturity IMO.

22 Likes

So I guess since the important question that I asked that was completely sidestepped and unanswered that means there isn’t any user-friendly way to get hassio on a NUC-like device except using an image of a locked down OS?

1 Like

I don’t post here at all often, and to be sure I haven’t read the previous ~150 replies.

I fully understand the need to reduce user issues, my only ask is to maybe understand why users run this option and fulfill them. Personally I have a need for NFS mounts, which to my understanding the HA OS cannot provide.

2 Likes

You realize that the iso/img format…the one you are asking about…is what you flash to an SD and put in a pi? It’s working exactly as you describe, but for a handful of SoCs.

“Build a brand new computer”… YES! That’s the existing system that is up and running that you insert a cd or usb drive into. And those things come with tons of drivers for all kinds of possible configurations and combinations of hardware. A virtual hard disk already has the OS on it, and you allocate resources to it, then spin it up.

Buildroot is more like a firmware. It comes with hardly anything because the intent is to target it at very particular hardware. You add to it depending on what your target is, you build your embedded appliance (which is totally the goal there whether you like it or not) and you distribute it.

Which I think is half the problem - “this is designed to be run as an appliance” is fine, but seriously when people spend good money on nice hardware it’s unreasonable to expect them to dedicate the whole thing to one application.

11 Likes

How was it side stepped. Someone just needs to come up with it. This just means it wont be supported by the HA team and publicised on the HA website as a method of installation.

Pascal maintained the installer script before as a community member provided method, does that mean as he became an employee of nabu casa it was then an official installation method?

was the question I asked answered?

1 Like

Yup, that was my point. It only works on a pi. Why not a x86_64 version.

It was only a question, but I can’t see how it is more ‘noob friendly’ to do it the way it’s currently done (especially given the number of “what on earth am I supposed to do now” posts that are popping up). An iso image would have the exact same instructions for all platforms, you’d just download ‘hassos_rasperry.iso’ for a pi and ‘hassos_x86_64.iso’ for your nuc / proxmox / whatever. Same as raspian / debian for pi / other computer.

The iso still installs the ‘appliance’ style OS so the goal is still achieved, but nobody has to ask for different instructions.

Was just an idea. As I said, I’m all sorted now, was just thinking out loud about how to make this better for the end user (which is allegedly the goal, but seems to be forgotten about rather a lot).

1 Like

Honestly Finity, I think this whole post answers it.
The method that provided what you want it isn’t going to be maintained anymore. thats it.

Someone else needs to come up with it, HA team wont be providing it. Its pretty simple

It was in a repo owned by homeassistant and the instructions were on the homeassistant website.

Thus it was official.

3 Likes

Things change, I get that. My question is - is there a change that will break this type of install eminent? It takes time to re do a setup especially if bring down a machine (my nuc) to install Hassos on it or go the proxmox route.

Thanks

1 Like

Hmm, In that case then appdaemon is officially supported by HA.

So, the easiest way for general users to install and run HA on a class of machine more powerful than a Pi was deprecated in favor of maintaining other more eclectic, less-used images?

Great decision there, that one was.

It won’t affect me I don’t really even use it.

“make it easy”. Really?

So my prediction that this was going to be another “this is what we did, no one asked the users, no one cares what the users think, accept it…” was pretty much right on the money.

Sigh…

13 Likes

Good to know.

Yup.

If it isn’t, then they shouldn’t own the repo and the instructions shouldn’t be on the homeassistant pages.

There’s no reason it can’t be mentioned and linked to as a third party project (like custom-ui used to be), but if I went to the official Tesla website, bought a car, followed the instructions on the website to configure the stereo and it broke I would expect them to fix it, not say “oh no, that was third party information”

3 Likes

That was replying to marc, Appdaemon is hosted in the HA repo, but isnt HA supported

I know. :wink:

Question: Why is docker not supported as a first class citizen?

I feel docker from the get go makes far more sense, that way you can still maintain isolation from the host and the app will work the way you’ve intended it to within the container. Docker also has had support for running on ARM for a long time now.

Most NAS support running docker stacks out of the box, raspberry pi supports docker… VMs, laptops, all the things run docker! (Okay, not so much SoC… But why run the controller on an underpowered device anyway?)

Hell, you could even install HAOS into the docker image from scratch and then you don’t have to worry about building out platform/system images, which feels like much more of a pain than saying “install docker, run this command”

Means you can focus on HA rather than platform XYZ, no?

3 Likes

For the people that are asking how to help with the generic install: fork the supervisor installer repository. We will gladly redirect all users with issues with generic installs to your repository.

For the Intel NUC. You can either run Home Assistant on it (including our OS) or you run Home Assistant Core as a Docker container. As mentioned in the post, all add-ons can be found as Docker containers too. Start looking at the website of the app you like to install or check images from projects like https://www.linuxserver.io/.

Some people in the comments make it sound like the amount of effort of the generic installer versus a Pi installation is equal. Nothing could be further from the truth. A Pi installation with Home Assistant OS is exactly how we expect it to be and doesn’t change. A generic Linux installation has infinite amounts of possibilities that also change as the host OS evolves. Again, if people want to step up to take on this effort, please do!

6 Likes