Onboarding fails on fresh install running reverse-proxy on synology docker

Hi All

I’m a complete newby and I’m trying to run HomeAutomation in a docker container on my synology NAS (DS920+ DSM7.1.1). Unfortunally I now got stuck on the ‘onboarding’ part and I need some help.

I run the ‘latest’ (12-11-2022) image of homeautomation for docker in bridge mode. On my NAS I have running DNS and Reverse-Proxy. From the firefox webbrowser, within my local network, I get to the HomeAutomation via the link http://energy.lan and it is beying forwarded to : which results in displaying the HomeAutomation running in docker with port 8123. For this I already had to search internet for activating the reverse-proxy Reverse-Proxy solution

After starting I come to the ‘onboarding’ site which allows me to create a first (admin?) user. After filling in all the credidentials and hitting submit I get an error message

I could click OK and then I get a login screen. After applying the credidentials that I just created I get a second error screen <Which I’m at this point not allowed to add as a new forum user>

And now I cannot get past this point. Were do have have to look? Obiously the credidentials of the first step are not saved, but how to check the setup/server for opening ports and/or adding reverse-proxy IP adresses?

Please explain it for dummies, as I don’t know all home automation ‘language’ yet :blush:and I have no experience with any SSH connection. Thanks for any help

Ludo

Although you may get this to work, I stopped using bridge and used ‘host’ which save a xyz-load of mappings and issues with hardware…
My other advice is to start very simple and get HA running first, then add trickeries like rev.proxy because now you donot know what is hindereing, dns/proxy/ha

1 Like

Hi Vingerha

Thanks for reaching out. As I see it, at this moment, DNS and reverse-proxy are working and setup fine. As I can connect to the HA (home automation). So to my opinion the problems are within the HA environment. As I can see in my file viewer, not all files have been updated after the initial adding of the credidentials

As can be seen in my previous post, there was an issue, but my home-automation.log file is completely clear. I can remove the complete database and start from scratch, but where do I have to look? This is clearly an issue with naming and/or IP adressing.

Regards

Ludo

That argument seems OK but what I am saying is to not add complexity before the basis is working.

1. what does the container log show?
  2. add logging level to configyaml
  3. in line with earlier… what if you install a second container on port 2024, e.g. homeassistant_dev with its own config folder and without any complex?
    Post your docker cli /compose

If it’s in bridge mode, please move it to host mode for network and start from there.
It can work, but it’s not officially supported and you’ll have (or could have) a ton of networking issues.

As suggested I have moved it to ‘host’ mode. Unfortunally this didn’t change anything. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Like looking into log’s/configurations etc?

I suggested to install a second container without any of the niceties as e.g. rev proxy
You can install that e.g. on 8124 without host.
I use a similar setup as dev/upgrade solution (I never ever upgrade my main container before having a look at the next version on safe location
Note: I have performed multiple HA setups on Syno docker and then moved to a NUC … all worked sort-off the same.
Other thought… firewall?

Hi Vingerha

I appreciate the help, but why ‘switch-off’ everything? Home Assistant is the part that is not working. I would like to do a root-cause analyses what is going wrong. If it can be solved, then others can be learning. I know what I am doing with DNS / Reverse Proxy, IP addressing etc, but Home Assistant is the part I don’t know.

Furthermore I discovered that the Reverse-Proxy is the part that that is causing, that my login is not saved. If I go directly to the IP adress on port 8123 then it is working. However I want to use the Reverse-Proxy address.

I already added the following lines to the ‘configuration.yaml’:

http:
cors_allowed_origins:
- http://energy.lan
- server-IP:8123

use_x_forwarded_for: true
trusted_proxies:

So to my opinion, somewere in the HA software there is a piece of software that is looking/listening to the wrong address/port and/or blocking requests. So which files to check on missing configurations/settings?

Regards

Ludo

That is your view, my view is: start as simple as possible
I agree that this may not be the cause but since you are clearly guessing too and not willing to start with a simplification, I am out … maybe someone else can help … good luck :slight_smile:

There was a ‘web socket’ entry missing in the settings for reverse-proxy. I found this post about setting-up the synology DM.

When the web socket is missing, then reverse-proxy needs the original port added so:

I will continue my installation now.

Regards

Ludo

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/reverse-proxy-through-synology/274660/3