Onboarding

Guys,

I switched to version 0.97.2 (HW: RPi, Virtualenv installation).
When I try to login first time i am getting https://_______/onboarding.html .
Entering new user is OK. Then I am getting page for entering location, time zone and units.
When I enter values and try to continue (“Next”) I am getting popup window saying “FAIL”.
I am using self signed certificate. Might that be a problem?
Is any way to skip onboarding.
I have set location and timezone values in the configuration file by text already.

Tnx for advice in advance.

1 Like

Try skipping through the location setting page. It is broken. Self signed is not relevant.

Tnx.
How can I skip location settings (I have only “Next” button)?
If I try to reconnect I am redirected to /onboarding.html again :frowning: .
I could change “.homeassistant/.storage/onboarding” file that would look that I passed onboarding.
Can anybody share me what should be structure of onboarding file when passed onboarding?
Tnx.

I also had the ‘FAIL’ message when I was doing onboarding, I can’t remember exactly how I fixed it but I remember deleting some files from the config folder then restarting the whole thing.

The FAIL message comes from the map component, that sends wrong long/lat values.
See this issue:

You should be able to go into your configuration.yaml file and add all of that information there under the homeassistant: section.

If that section doesn’t exist you can create it…I think…

then just add the location information ( lat, long, TZ, elevation) to it. HA should then skip that section of the UI config in the onboarding by greying it out and you should be able to continue.

I tried to set location and time zone in configuration.yaml and I am sill getting redirected to onboarding.html always. Can anybody who successfully passed onboarding share with me /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/.storage/onboarding file? I need just structure.

You can just skip to the next page without changing anything.

Here is mine:

{
    "data": {
        "done": [
            "user",
            "core_config",
            "integration"
        ]
    },
    "key": "onboarding",
    "version": 3

Tnx. When you have onboarding file filled with mentioned structure onborading.html is skipped.
I now faced other problem (in log):
2019-09-04 08:58:02 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: SSL handshake failed

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/asyncio/sslproto.py", line 625, in _on_handshake_complete
    raise handshake_exc
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/asyncio/sslproto.py", line 189, in feed_ssldata
    self._sslobj.do_handshake()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/ssl.py", line 763, in do_handshake
    self._sslobj.do_handshake()
ssl.SSLError: [SSL: SSLV3_ALERT_CERTIFICATE_UNKNOWN] sslv3 alert certificate unknown (_ssl.c:1056)

Hi @aci

in a similar way to how you edited the .storage/onboarding file you can place your certificate files in the config folder and refer to them in your configuration.yaml (via a secrets.yaml if you wish) e.g.

http:
  ssl_certificate: !secret ssl_cert_path
  ssl_key:         !secret ssl_key_path
  server_port:     8443

You should find some help in the page https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/ecosystem/certificates/tls_self_signed_certificate/

If you don’t get any luck when googling the errors in your log, such as sslv3 alert certificate unknown then you can look for more diagnostics in the client browser itself (look in the Developer Tools feature for the Console where errors are displayed. Between the server log and the browser console you might get enough to search for the cause or workarounds to try.

But if you do not, then please do post back here including a) log errors, b) browser errors, c) relevant sections of config files d) information about how you generated certificates. Then you will have more chance that people will spot what your issue is.

No, as i stil on onboarding, i cannot open file editor from HA or go into the map.

What?

2 YEARS LATER