One-Click Alexa Actionable Notifications Setups

AlexaActionAssistant Summary

AlexaActionAssistant is a GitHub project designed to simplify the integration of Alexa Skills into Home Assistant for easier creation of actionable notifications. The solution employs PowerShell scripts to automate the process of Alexa skill creation and configuration generation.

Example use cases include morning routines, evening lights adjustments, movie mode lighting, radio station tuning, temperature adjustments, and bedtime preparations. The assistant can tailor responses and routines to personal preferences.

Prerequisites for the project include an Alexa developer account, a Windows PC with PowerShell enabled, a long-lived access token from Home Assistant, the Alexa Media Player custom component, and an approach for accessing Home Assistant from the Alexa Skill.

The AlexaActionAssistant repository provides scripts and detailed setup instructions. The project also generates configuration files for your Home Assistant setup and includes an optional script for adding additional response options to your Alexa actionable notification setup.

3 Likes

Hi, Do we need a PC running all time to work or just for setup?

Can I use tailscale instead of cloudflare?

No Just to setup the Alexa skill

1 Like

I haven’t used it before, cant see why not if you can create a tunnel back to your Home Assistant setup.

1 Like

Thanks for this awesome project… I just watched your youtube video, my doubts are almost clear. Add your youtube video link so that others can easily understand… :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation and the short- I’ve done something like this before using Node
red

Does anyone know how to do this using Node Red - because I can’t find an up-to-date way

greetings

I’m running the main.ps1 script and getting the following error about missing axios. Can I proceed regardless, or does something need fixing first? Don’t know if it’s relevant, but that d:…appdata folder is a junction point from c:…appdata.

Please wait...D:\Users\xxxxxxx\Appdata\Roaming\npm\node_modules\ask-cli\node_modules\axios\index.js:1
(function (exports, require, module, __filename, __dirname) { import axios from './lib/axios.js';
                                                                     ^^^^^

SyntaxError: Unexpected identifier
    at new Script (vm.js:79:7)
    at createScript (vm.js:251:10)
    at Object.runInThisContext (vm.js:303:10)
    at Module._compile (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:657:28)
    at Object.Module._extensions..js (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:700:10)
    at Module.load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:599:32)
    at tryModuleLoad (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:538:12)
    at Function.Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:530:3)
    at Module.require (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:637:17)
    at require (internal/modules/cjs/helpers.js:22:18)
D:\Users\xxxxxxx\Appdata\Roaming\npm\node_modules\ask-cli\node_modules\axios\index.js:1
(function (exports, require, module, __filename, __dirname) { import axios from './lib/axios.js';
                                                                     ^^^^^

SyntaxError: Unexpected identifier
    at new Script (vm.js:79:7)
    at createScript (vm.js:251:10)
    at Object.runInThisContext (vm.js:303:10)
    at Module._compile (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:657:28)
    at Object.Module._extensions..js (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:700:10)
    at Module.load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:599:32)
    at tryModuleLoad (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:538:12)
    at Function.Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:530:3)
    at Module.require (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:637:17)
    at require (internal/modules/cjs/helpers.js:22:18)
Input your Home Assistant URL:

Got it. It seems that I had a REALLY old version of node,js installed. It was a real bear to uninstall, too. Had to resort to manual method, but finally got over that hurdle.

Trying to trigger any automation, though, just gets “there was a problem with the requested skill’s response”. I get the same response when testing in the developer console’s Alexa emulator. I thought maybe I’d gotten the HA token wrong, so generated another and replaced it in lambda_function.py.

Any ideas on what I’ve borked? I do notice that in the UI when configuring the service call, there’s an option to define a variable name…?

@ AlexaActionAssistant, I am trying to install your project. I think my trouble is with Power Shell. When I try running the script, I get the UAC window, I say yes and a blue window appears and quickly disappear. In your instructions you state a prerequisite

I will confess, I do not have experience running PS scripts, Can you help me please?