One-timer-installer fails on Raspberry Pi 3

Just getting started with Home Assistant.

I’ve tried using the “Pixel” version of the OS with the same problems as mentioned above. Now writing the card with the “Jessie Lite” version and going to give it a shot.

Also, It seems SSH isn’t enabled by default on either the Pixel or Lite version. I always get connection refused.

Yes, thats the new default for SSH in the latest Raspbian release:

2016-11-25:
* SSH disabled by default; can be enabled by creating a file with name “ssh” in boot partition

1 Like

It is possible to get Home Assistant running on Pixel. I used the info from @ken to get it working so thanks Ken :smile:

I have literally just reinstalled Home Assistant on Pixel due to an issue with HADashboard.

Once the AIO installer has completed you will also need to remove a duplicate mqtt entry in the configuration.yaml and fix the indentation. This comment was posted by another user on the forum in another thread, but I cannot find it now, so thanks who ever you are :slight_smile:

mqtt:
  broker: 
  port: 
  username: 
  password:

I enabled SSH and WIFI in the GUI right before disabling it

3 Likes

@jbags81 Would it be possible to change the install to match the manual and hasbian image as far as install locations and user?

Man, that get’s my vote for sure. You would think that everything would be in the same location regardless of how you get it running.

2 Likes

I followed Ken’s instructions and came forward in the installation. But Home Assistant not start running. I have change the IP adress in configuration.yaml, reboot the Raspberry Pi still the same problem. I dont find any duplicate for MQTT in the file.

What do I miss?

This is the first time i try Home Assistant. Would appreciate step by step instruction :slight_smile:

Have you got any errors in the homeassistant.log file found in the same location as your configuration.yaml?

Hi

I am getting the following errors from my log. Can someone please help?

16-12-15 20:11:08 homeassistant.loader: Unable to find component client_id
16-12-15 20:11:11 homeassistant.loader: Unable to find component password
16-12-15 20:11:11 homeassistant.loader: Unable to find component broker
16-12-15 20:11:11 homeassistant.loader: Unable to find component port
16-12-15 20:11:11 homeassistant.loader: Unable to find component username

Thanks.

Apologies the previous error got resolved as I had changed the broker address. However I get this error now with no luck:

16-12-15 20:23:22 homeassistant.components.mqtt: Unable to connect to the MQTT broker: Not authorised

For the moment just remove the mqtt entry all together, and see if you can have your system up and running. Then check if you have any mqtt broker available to use. Something like this:

mqtt:
broker: 192.168.2.80
port: 1883
client_id: home-assistant-1
username: pi
password: xyzwxx

Remember the indentation is one space underneath the m for the rest of the lines…
mqtt:
broker: 192.168.2.85
password: xyzwww

I get this error
16-12-16 08:46:57 homeassistant.util.yaml: mapping values are not allowed here
in “/home/hass/.homeassistant/configuration.yaml”, line 46, column 9

I have changed the IP adress in the configuration.yaml to that the raspberry pi unit have, reboot. But still get the same problem.

Have you fixed the indentation for the mqtt line?

Are you able to post your config.yaml if your not sure?

@JuliusLedoux Hi thanks for your help. Is the broker address my pi address? Apologies I am a NOOB

@JuliusLedoux

are you saying the mqtt should be like this in the config file:

mqtt:
broker: 192.168.2.85
password: xyzwww

Yes, it is the IP address of your PI.

This is probably the correct place to post as I have come through this path with the initial failure.
However, for security reasons, as well as changing the default password, I have also changed the default user name.
Installation gets to the point where it calls for a login password for ‘pi’!
Is there some way I can use a different user ID?
If I change the default name back to pi, can I later change it to a name of my choice?

yes, provided you familiarize yourself with the internals of Home Assistant. A limited service account is created during the install. Everything is installed and run under this account.

Thanks for y=the response, jbags81. I do not have a software background, but when I get to that point, I will see if I can work that out.
Having restored pi as the default user, I got further into the install, but have stopped that the point shown below:-

[localhost] out: * it needs X to run on the virtual console (VT) it was started from
[localhost] out: :
[localhost] out: :

The system is intended to run headless, so this is done on a terminal window in remote desktop on Windows 10. It has been stopped at that point for over 6 hours. I suspect it is telling me it needs some X windows program to get past that point, which I will investigate in the morning.

I was having the same MQTT error as reported by @bachoo786

Unable to connect to the MQTT broker: Not authorised

I fixed this by generating an MQTT user/pass by running the following command:

sudo mosquitto_passwd -c /etc/mosquitto/pwfile create-a-new-username-here

and entering the new user and pass in configuration.yaml. I also rebooted the Pi for good measure.